Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2010, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

yes, armour customization looks good, as do the collector items. However I am really irritated over how the are implementing the new mako aka hammerhead. Its not included in the game, its not daye dlc no, they are going to charge for it.I know the mako was pure garbage but it was a large part of ME.

though I hate dlc anyways this is just anouther prod. It better be damn good, neither of the me1 dlcs were worth it
Old January 21, 2010, 03:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

And here is one of the best launch trailers of all time, and a warning, a few largish spoilers can be derived from the trailer. But it is epically well done in my opinion.

Mass Effect 2 Video Game, Launch Trailer HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com
Old January 21, 2010, 03:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I bought it because of that trailer...it is that good

I can't wait now to play. Lose a few nights of sleep, as well as a few GPAs

EDIT: I paid 10$ more for the digital deluxe. You're already paying 50$ for a game, 10$ more won't hurt for some extra stuff. Honestly the soundtrack got me to pay for it, not the artwork.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Last edited by Jackquelegs; January 21, 2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old January 21, 2010, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

it is quite likely the best game trailer I have ever seen. Course, the fact that I cannot at this moment remember any other game trailers that I have seen doesnt influence that at all.
Old January 21, 2010, 08:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I've been playing thru ME for a second time lately in preparation for ME2. I have noticed a few things about the game that I had not really paid attention to the first time playing it a couple of years ago. All on the 360 console.
  • The seemingly endless dialog trees (I have literally fallen asleep with controller in hand during some of the cycles this time around)
  • The annoyingly bad 80's electronica/ambient soundtrack
  • The uncomfortably awkward and overly long elevator rides
  • The very unintuitive (at least for me now) controls
  • I'm finding the gameplay (combat) more difficult for some reason than I remember
  • Some framerate stuttering during certain gameplay sequences
  • Poor conversation audio levels
Anyone else notice this or other issues? Now I'm wondering if pre-ordering the ME2 CE was a good decision or not.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old January 21, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal2Noise View Post
I've been playing thru ME for a second time lately in preparation for ME2. I have noticed a few things about the game that I had not really paid attention to the first time playing it a couple of years ago. All on the 360 console.
  • The seemingly endless dialog trees (I have literally fallen asleep with controller in hand during some of the cycles this time around)
  • The annoyingly bad 80's electronica/ambient soundtrack
  • The uncomfortably awkward and overly long elevator rides
  • The very unintuitive (at least for me now) controls
  • I'm finding the gameplay (combat) more difficult for some reason than I remember
  • Some framerate stuttering during certain gameplay sequences
  • Poor conversation audio levels
Anyone else notice this or other issues? Now I'm wondering if pre-ordering the ME2 CE was a good decision or not.
Dialogue is crucial in gameplay. If you want run and gun I suggest another game, since RPGs are probably not for you.

I thought the music was okay, although I did focus more on the orchestra

Elevator rides were annoying indeed

The controls needn't be intuitive, it works

Gameplay was easy compared to other RPGs. They boiled combat down to a few decent abilities per class, and all that's left is shoot. Unlike some other RPGs where half your screen is spells...

Framerate and audiolevels were not a problem for me.

Overall I had a great time playing ME1, despite the obvious insanely boring Mako sequences. Since they took that out in ME2, I'm a happy camper.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old January 21, 2010, 12:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
Dialogue is crucial in gameplay. If you want run and gun I suggest another game, since RPGs are probably not for you.....

No, I do not want to 'run and gun'. And I enjoy RPGs. It's my favorite genre. But it's just while ME is a great game I now realize some of it's shortcomings (my perceived ones anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post

Framerate and audiolevels were not a problem for me.

In retrospect perhaps the audio issues are due to playback via TV only whereas I'm running optical from the 360? So some of the channels are being cut out due to 5.1 not being utilized?
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old January 21, 2010, 02:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I first played ME on the pc as at the time i did not have a 360. Once i got it i wanted to try it out for the 360 since i thought ME2 was going to be released for 360 first and then the pc a year later. So i played most of the game on the 360 and found i did not like some of the controls/layout as much as i did on the pc as some of it felt a lot more delayed, or longer way to 'do' things such as pulling up the map.
Old January 21, 2010, 03:32 PM
Allstar

ME had shitty audio support, even on PC. I'm not surprised you had problems on the 360 but I don't have one so I can't say for sure. On PC, hardware sound did not work (or was massively buggy with super loud noises) on many sound cards. There was also a lot of sound clipping issues for me but there were unofficial tweaks I found from the fan site that fixed them.

The elevator rides are just akin to loading screens. They don't bother me that much since you usually get some sort of interesting banter between your teammates. I wish some of the rides (like from csec to the docking bay) were shorter though.

The dialog in ME aren't nearly as long winded as a lot of RPGs out there. Often it was brief and to the point. Music definitely was lackluster though.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old January 23, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm replaying ME in anticipation of the next iteration. I cannot remember if I used my SB Audigy the first time around or the AC 97 on board. I don't remember if it had issues with the sound then.

But after playing it on my other board with Soundmax Supreme FX (on board) I didn't have any issues. Though sometimes the dialog was drowned out by the music.