LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Shadow Warrior
Little Big Adventure
Old January 6, 2010, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I disagree with much of this. I mean look at Wolfenstein. That was "remade" and it blows chunks. If they even attempted a remake of Homeworld I would probably blow the studio up before they even had a chance to get past concept art. No thanks, leave my beloved games alone.

I am ok with sequels and such, sometimes they are good, sometimes they are meh. Thief is a good example. 1 was great but too many zombie levels. 2 was pretty much perfect. And 3... well 3 is a consolized version that just didn't jive with me. So we'll see what happens with Thief 4?

AvP is one to watch. Let's see if it suffers a similar fate as Wolfy? Others to watch for... Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, SC2 etc etc... we'll see how they compare. No doubt they will look amazing but how will they fare in gameplay, length and features?

Back in the day devs didn't have to hire armies of CG artists and texture makers just to make a game look competitve. They focused on mechanics, gameplay, level design, ingenuity etc... Imo it's very hard for devs to compete with amazing older titles like this, especially with so much pressure from publishers nowadays. It's a whole different ball game now. And often a lot of what we relish with older games is nostalgia, and that will never be replaced with a shiny new model.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 6, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
I disagree with much of this. I mean look at Wolfenstein. That was "remade" and it blows chunks. If they even attempted a remake of Homeworld I would probably blow the studio up before they even had a chance to get past concept art. No thanks, leave my beloved games alone.

I am ok with sequels and such, sometimes they are good, sometimes they are meh. Thief is a good example. 1 was great but too many zombie levels. 2 was pretty much perfect. And 3... well 3 is a consolized version that just didn't jive with me. So we'll see what happens with Thief 4?

AvP is one to watch. Let's see if it suffers a similar fate as Wolfy? Others to watch for... Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, SC2 etc etc... we'll see how they compare. No doubt they will look amazing but how will they fare in gameplay, length and features?

Back in the day devs didn't have to hire armies of CG artists and texture makers just to make a game look competitve. They focused on mechanics, gameplay, level design, ingenuity etc... Imo it's very hard for devs to compete with amazing older titles like this, especially with so much pressure from publishers nowadays. It's a whole different ball game now. And often a lot of what we relish with older games is nostalgia, and that will never be replaced with a shiny new model.
What?!?! You mean its no longer about gameplay and more about graphics

Old January 6, 2010, 12:26 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet:

X-COM.
Keep the gameplay IDENTICAL to the original, just give us shiny new graphics please.

Also: Freespace, Wings & Speedball
XCOM brings back great memories, but it definitely needs gameplay changes. I replayed it a few years back on dosbox and it just seemed tedious having to respond to all those frequent and random terror missions with each mission taking 30 minutes or more to complete if you don't want your entire squad wounded and in the hospital for a month.

A lot of good ones have been mentioned except the master of orion series. 1 and 2 were awesome.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old January 6, 2010, 12:29 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Wolfenstein was messed up because they gave it to a development team with a serious case of mental retardation who had zero knowledge of what made the game good in the first place.
Old January 6, 2010, 12:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Arrow choices, choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer_2099 View Post
X-Wing vs Tie Fighter (imagine that as a PvP multiplayer game with customization available... SWEET!)
drool...

yeah, my choices have been mentioned:

X-Wing vs Tie Fighter,
MechWarrior,
Privateer,

I would want to see them re-made, not re-envisioned. Bug fixes, new graphics, and added content like cut scenes would be fine but the same game, same mechanics, etc. Additional modes on top of the old game would also be cool. A physics upgrade to Mechwarrior would be fun. Having tanks bounce around when you pepper them with cannon rounds would be grand.
Old January 6, 2010, 12:44 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal2Noise View Post
Freelancer
That.
Old January 6, 2010, 12:46 PM
MVP

Mechwarrior
Dungeon keeper (starting after 2)
and Ill have to look through my CD collection when I get home
Old January 6, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok there is ONE exception I am actually excited about... Black Mesa Source.

BUT

That is a mod. And it has been in dev for years. No company under a big publisher would be able to take the time and care with such an undertaking like you get with some mods. So when it comes to legacy games being remade, there are likely some good mod communities out there trying to do it right.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 6, 2010, 12:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
X-Wing and Tie Fighter series !
+7. The best games ever. Although the Wing Commander series was good too. I've still got my Sidewinder Force Feedback waiting in the closet.