Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2010, 02:43 PM
Rookie

I quite agree, however, a video game CAN teach you some generic traits that "If you do this to a kid, it is likely that the kid will grow up like that"

ex. a kid falls, but does not get a real injury (not evens a scrape) the kid will look up to the parent and if the parent runs over to the kid going "Awww sweeety are you ok, does momma/daddy need to bla bla bla" the kid is going to start crying, and become dependant on the parent rather then if the parent sais "your fine" and encourages the kid to keep doing whatever he/she was doing the kid is going to become alot more self dependant, and more then likely will not cry.
(that bieng said, if the kid cries right away he/she probably did hurt themselves and should be sought after)

but that's what I learnt in colage, it does NOT mean thats the way it allways is in reality, however, i do think eduacation from a game can ease people's way into parent hood. plus I think it could be entertaining, I enjoy games that require brain power and have diffrent conclusions depending on your choices early on :)
Old January 6, 2010, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_black View Post
I quite agree, however, a video game CAN teach you some generic traits that "If you do this to a kid, it is likely that the kid will grow up like that"

ex. a kid falls, but does not get a real injury (not evens a scrape) the kid will look up to the parent and if the parent runs over to the kid going "Awww sweeety are you ok, does momma/daddy need to bla bla bla" the kid is going to start crying, and become dependant on the parent rather then if the parent sais "your fine" and encourages the kid to keep doing whatever he/she was doing the kid is going to become alot more self dependant, and more then likely will not cry.
(that bieng said, if the kid cries right away he/she probably did hurt themselves and should be sought after)

but that's what I learnt in colage, it does NOT mean thats the way it allways is in reality, however, i do think eduacation from a game can ease people's way into parent hood. plus I think it could be entertaining, I enjoy games that require brain power and have diffrent conclusions depending on your choices early on :)
Those generic traits is called "common sense" which is not taught but learned.

And speaking from being a new parent there is nothing a video game could have taught me,
Old January 6, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why don't you carry an egg around, like they did in high school "life skills" classes years ago, lol. If you break the egg, you killed your baby. :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 6, 2010, 03:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Humm...I'm not a parent, but I deal with lots of kids.

I wonder if there is an app for a smartphone that can be used as the best simulation? I know that there are fake babies that high school kids take home. Something portable that you take everywhere, next to your bed, at the store, etc. This would be the best simulation (but I would say a poor one still).

Anyone can be a good parent for an hour or so a day in front of a screen. But try being supportive, nurturing and understanding when the baby has been screaming at you for an hour straight, 3-4 times a night, 24/7. Might be a neat exercise to have a smartphone app that will wake you up and force you to pay attention to it constantly at home and work and play. Turning it off or letting the battery die would mean smartphone baby death.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 6, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have another idea for practice, at least as far as teenager boys are concerned. Disable your AV, go to as many questionable websites as you can click on in a matter of 30 minutes, download as much "free" stuff as your bandwidth will allow, save it all to obsure locations on your machine, then spend the next month cleaning your rig of tons of malware and nasties or just giving up after tearing your hear out and reformatting. :D

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 6, 2010, 03:19 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
I have another idea for practice, at least as far as teenager boys are concerned. Disable your AV, go to as many questionable websites as you can click on in a matter of 30 minutes, download as much "free" stuff as your bandwidth will allow, save it all to obsure locations on your machine, then spend the next month cleaning your rig of tons of malware and nasties or just giving up after tearing your hear out and reformatting. :D

teenagers boy ? my wife is able to do so too
Old January 6, 2010, 04:47 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_black View Post
I was Looking for a game for ME to play to practice bieng a parent
Oh that! LMAO! Sorry misread it.

Okay let me send you the manual that I got and everyone else...oh wait there is not manual. It's all free style!

Eating end goes up. Pooping end goes down. If you switch then sometimes stuff come out the eating end.

(sorry I could not resist).

Canadian Parenting might be a good place to visit. Some useful info on the site ;)
Old January 6, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

iphone baby shake?

or was that pulled
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /