Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2010, 10:06 AM
Banned
F@H

The problem is , a lot of peoples like to drop their kids on front of the TV, it's less work I think we should just focus on the question of the OP, about what game are good.. I have a feeling that this tread will be close soon if not,

Give a try to my Lego thing it's very good for the development of the imagination, and that's also teach them to use a computer to other thing than gaming and You Tube
Old January 6, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would think The Sims 3 is probably your best bet. Here's an article about raising kids in it.
A guide to raising children in The Sims 3 (PC) - by Joan Inong - Helium

And a quick Google brought this online game up. See if it suits you?
Online baby simulation game - Babydow

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 6, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

don't put your kids on the computer from such a young age, just be a good father and buy them legos

edit :woah, misread that....
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old January 6, 2010, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
The problem is , a lot of peoples like to drop their kids on front of the TV, it's less work I think we should just focus on the question of the OP, about what game are good.. I have a feeling that this tread will be close soon if not,

Give a try to my Lego thing it's very good for the development of the imagination, and that's also teach them to use a computer to other thing than gaming and You Tube
This has everything to do with moderation and the lack of real parenting on a parents behalf. My gf has a 7yr old girl and I think I could say out of a 7 day week she probably watches about 2 hours of tv at the most otherwise she's playing with her toys or reading or drawing.

I know what lego thing you are talking about and it is a neat concept but the downside to this is that lego is bloody expensive even if you buy it used.
Old January 6, 2010, 12:48 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I know what lego thing you are talking about and it is a neat concept but the downside to this is that lego is bloody expensive even if you buy it used.
True, but it's worth every penny.

/coming from someone who has spent several hundred if not over a thousand dollars on Lego
Old January 6, 2010, 01:28 PM
Banned
F@H

You don't need to buy Lego block,

@ Zero82z...I know what you means.....
Old January 6, 2010, 01:43 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

A childhood without lego is hardly a childhood at all! And I don't know about practicing being a parent, but those old games that I used to play at the school computer lab all seemed good as they do to other people I talk to them about. I mean things like All The Right Type (typing game), Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?, Oregon Trail.... Stuff like that. I actually owe a lot to the Civilization series for my basic knowledge of ancient history.
Old January 6, 2010, 01:51 PM
Top Prospect

How old are the kids you want to entertain? The Peep games are not that good for kids over 8-10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
give them your computer, your wife will petty you and give you the OK to build a new one for you
You think? I have four running machines now and probably enough in the back for 3-4 more (older stuff). I doubt she will fall for it

Lego was very cool growing up and it is even cooler today with all the fancy kits and such. I envy my kids. I think my favorite toy growing up was a stick and a mud puddle and maybe a piece of cardboard in the winter for sledding

(I can almost hear it starting now "when I was growing up I had too..." )
Old January 6, 2010, 02:19 PM
Rookie

LMAO! wow, I should be much more clear when typing questions :P

I was Looking for a game for ME to play to practice bieng a parent

yes, it is to practice bieng a paren't, friends all around me are popping out kids, and (IMO) aren't that great of parent's, and myself, I don't evens have a gf yet, yet alone a child (I'm in no rush, lets put it that way :p)
but the Idea of raising a child does intreague me, and haveing taken a basic child development class in collage I was thinking of testing my "skills" in the virtual world before evens thinking about the poop mashienes in the real world.

Hopefully that cleared it up :s

But I shall look into SIM's 3, though not exactly what I was looking for, it does look like a good start, and as for that flash game, I'll give that a try when I come back from my friends plce.

as for the question I didn't ask:
I totally agree with the "no, or little technology" for the really young kids, I think children can learn so much 'better' (for lack of a better word) in the real world then behind a screen, the learning games are fine for when they get to the more "I want to be independant" stage and evens then only some of the time, but one of my friends's sister has a kid, not evens a year old and that kid waches more TV then I do, and I work with technology as a hobby!

but thanks for all the answers anyway's, it has been quite entertaining and informing reading all your replies! :)

Cheers!
Old January 6, 2010, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_black View Post
LMAO! wow, I should be much more clear when typing questions :P

I was Looking for a game for ME to play to practice bieng a parent

yes, it is to practice bieng a paren't, friends all around me are popping out kids, and (IMO) aren't that great of parent's, and myself, I don't evens have a gf yet, yet alone a child (I'm in no rush, lets put it that way :p)
but the Idea of raising a child does intreague me, and haveing taken a basic child development class in collage I was thinking of testing my "skills" in the virtual world before evens thinking about the poop mashienes in the real world.

Hopefully that cleared it up :s

But I shall look into SIM's 3, though not exactly what I was looking for, it does look like a good start, and as for that flash game, I'll give that a try when I come back from my friends plce.

as for the question I didn't ask:
I totally agree with the "no, or little technology" for the really young kids, I think children can learn so much 'better' (for lack of a better word) in the real world then behind a screen, the learning games are fine for when they get to the more "I want to be independant" stage and evens then only some of the time, but one of my friends's sister has a kid, not evens a year old and that kid waches more TV then I do, and I work with technology as a hobby!

but thanks for all the answers anyway's, it has been quite entertaining and informing reading all your replies! :)

Cheers!
Practice being a parent? Your kidding right?

A video game can NEVER teach you this as its something that you just learn and do and become.

A video game can't tell you that you need to feed your kid at 2am, 4am, 6am, then 9am because they are hungry.. nor will it show you the black bags you get under your eyes from lack of sleep.