Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Your 2009 GOTY Awards?

Here's mine! :)

My GOTY
Batman Arkham Asylum – All out best Batman/comic book game ever. All other comic book games do not even compare. Fan-bloody-tastic voice acting, story, graphics, action,… everything was awesome despite some basic boss battles.

Considerations
Borderlands – Now I know what an RPS should be like!
Uncharted 2/Assassin’s Creed 2 - Actually haven’t played these yet but I am pretty sure they will be worthy, lol.

My Favourite Visual Style
Borderlands – LOVE IT! And the fact that they changed the whole art direction late in development makes it that much more brilliant and worthy of the honour.

Considerations
Batman Arkham Asylum – The detail and atmosphere of Arkham Asylum was a pure splendor to take in.
Dead Space Extraction – This is a Wii game O.O?
Mad World – Game noir, and it’s on the Wii! ‘Nuff said.

My Best Demo
FEAR 2 Project Origin – What a ride! All the best elements of the game packed into a demo that didn’t let you go.

Considerations
Brutal Legend – Funny as hell!

My Most Annoying Install
Warhammer 40K DoW II – Bought the disc, it required Steam to install and then GFWL to play. Absolutely f*cking ridiculous.

Considerations
Batman Arkham Asylum – Yet another title tied to the useless mess that is GFWL. This time no PhysX in the game without the latest GFWL update. *sigh*

My Biggest Disappointment
Warhammer 40K DoW II – I was frothing at the mouth for weeks before its release. Since then I have installed and uninstalled the game at least 5 times never making it past 4-5 hours of gameplay before I can’t take it anymore.

Considerations
Fallout 3 – Why is foraging around in a wasteland sorting through junk fun? In short, the combat sucked and the rest was boring.
Mirror’s Edge – Great concept, poor execution. Maybe the sequel will fix that?
Wolfenstein – Stripped down standard shooter with nazi monsters. Fun but it’s as formulaic as it gets. Tacked on pitiful MP. Considering its iconic MP history that doesn’t help it.

Too Epic To Finish
Empire Total War – Game is good but I am not a huge strategy buff and my game hours are somewhat limited. My trigger finger gets twitchy after a while and it’s hard to just pick up and play a game like this for 30-60 minutes with long breaks between playtimes.

Considerations
Dragon Age: Origins – Another good game but I just don’t have the time for its epic-ness.

My Most Memorable Moment
Borderlands – Opening movie with the Skag getting smoked by the van. The music and humour of that scene set you up for the mood of the game perfectly.

Considerations
FEAR 2 Project Origin – A couple moments from this game stand out for me. 1. Alma grabbing me in the movie theatre. 2. The “Immaculate Conception” at the end, lol.

Best Game I Didn’t Play
Uncharted 2 – Can’t wait!

Considerations
Assassin’s Creed 2 – Looks sweet!
Little Big Planet – Getting this for holiday MP get togethers.

Most Overly Hyped Game (I Didn’t Play)
Modern Warfare 2 - I am so sick of this game already I don't ever want to play it.

Considerations
Halo: ODST

My Most Anticipated Game of Early 2010
Bioshock 2

Considerations
God of War 3
Alien vs Predator

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 23, 2009, 12:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

My list is simplified...

GotY PC ~ Dragon Age ; runner-up Sims 3 (seriously!)

GotY 360 ~ Batman Arkham Asylum ; runner-up Forza 3

GotY PS3 ~ Uncharted 2 ; runner-up Demons Souls

GotY Wii ~ Wii Resort (although I have a Wii and occassionally buy Wii games they are all for the most part 'meh' unless you're 8 years old or younger)

Overall GotY ~ Uncharted 2
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old December 23, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Good list. Ya I know I blah blah way too much, lol.
Wii Resort was alright but really the only two games I liked were Swordplay and Archery. Never played a SIMS game in my life! And I simply can't wait to dig into Uncharted 2.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 23, 2009, 12:41 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

For the PC:

Batman Arkham Asylum or Dragon Age: Origins

Biggest Fail (Tie):

Empire: Total War. Buggier than manure that's been left in the sun too long + idiotic AI = fail

DoW II. Jump down to the surface of a planet. Kill shit. Ork Rush / Tyranid / Eldar rush. Fight boss. Rinse and repeat. Squad-based RTS + Warhammer universe will never work.

GTA IV. A steaming load of badly ported crapola

PS3:

Killzone 2. Holy Christ. 'nuff said

Biggest Failure

God of War Collection. You want me to pay HOW much for a port of a PS2 game!?

XBox 360

This system is collecting dust in a corner.
Old December 23, 2009, 01:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Might as well chuck my 2c in here too then:

360 GOTY
Another vote for Arkham Asylum. Can't wait for the sequel which is supposedly already a work in progress.
Rock Band 2 always gets lots of game time too.

PC GOTY
Mount & Blade
OK, so it didn't come out in 2009, but 2009 was when I first played it so I'm listing it as 2009.
I haven't gotten so absorbed in a game since the original Pirates! & Elite way back in the day.
More mods than you can could shake & stick at & with a few of the graphics updates it looks purty too.
Now to see if I can get in on the Warband (multiplayer goodness) beta.
Old December 23, 2009, 01:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Out of the games that came out this year and that I played, Borderlands is at the top of the list. It has its flaws, but I've gotten more fun out of it and put more hours into it than any other game that came out this year. The DLC was also really well done, and seemed more polished than the core game itself in terms of storyline, writing, and pacing. With that said, I never actually got around to playing through Batman: AA, although I did try out the demo and that was awesome. I have a feeling that would also be a contender for me if I had actually played through the full game.

Torchlight is another game which, although being a budget title, is also one of the better games I've played this year. It's a pretty stripped-down ARPG, but the mechanics are all very well-polished. The devs knew how much time and resources they had to put in the game, stripped out everything that wasn't necessary and that they didn't have time to put in, and delivered a solid game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Mirror’s Edge – Great concept, poor execution. Maybe the sequel will fix that?
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. It feels like a first-person Prince of Persia, except I think the actual controls and movement system need work. They just felt clumsy.

Last edited by Zero82z; December 23, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old December 23, 2009, 01:17 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Batman: AA - GOTY
Old December 23, 2009, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
PS3:

Killzone 2. Holy Christ. 'nuff said
Another title I cannot wait to play. The PS3 has seriously come out swinging this year, finally! 2009 was the year I was waiting for, for the PS3. Exclusives that kick serious ass and a decent price tag. Keep up the good work all you PS3 exclusive devs. And boo to all the poor PS3 ports out there *cough* Bayonetta *cough*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post

Torchlight is another game which, although being a budget title, is also one of the better games I've played this year. It's a pretty stripped-down ARPG, but the mechanics are all very well-polished. The devs knew how much time and resources they had to put in the game, stripped out everything that wasn't necessary and that they didn't have time to put in, and delivered a solid game.
Torchlight is indeed brilliant. Indie games got some really good spotlight this year with some really polished titles. Trine, Braid, Machinarium, Flower, Plant vs Zombies... I hope the train keeps a rollin.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old December 23, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, this was seriously a golden year for indie stuff. Not that the big budget titles don't have their own appeal, but sometimes I sit back and realize that I'm having just as much fun on the $10 titles as the $50 ones.
Old December 23, 2009, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will have to make a list of many....

PC:
Batman: AA (excellent gameplay, voice acting, neat backstory etc.)
Borderlands (funnest game for co-op, quite funny)
Dragon Age: Origins

XBox 360:
Modern Warfare 2 (wasn't that great by COD standards, but that is enough. good for consoles, terrible for PC)
Assassins Creed 2

Most disappointing:
MW2 for PC (worst. port. ever.)
GTA4 for PC (2nd. worst. port. i. have. ever. played)
Assassins Creed 2 for PC (because I can't play it yet!)

All I have played recently really.