Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2009, 07:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Star Trek Online - Februray 2010

Hey all!

I have always enjoyed Star Trek. I've seen all the Original Series in reruns, watched The Next Generation religiously, toyed with Deep Space 9 and Voyager (although both not my favourite) and apparently am one of the few who liked Enterprise (although I have not seen all the episodes.

I truly enjoyed MOST of the Star Trek films in varying degrees and I admit, although I am not a fan of Time Travel in films sometimes, I think that the 2009 version of Star Trek was a fantastic film overall.

Anyways, all that to preface my question : "I was wondering if anyone has been keeping an eye on this MMO or plans on trying it."

I've been tracking the game a bit of late and there seems to be some good things being said about the development. It doesn't feel overhyped too much either. What's also making me interested in this MMO is the fact that I have been reading a lot of negative stuff about the upcoming Star Wars MMO (and trust me... I love the Star Wars universe too!).

I was just curious to see if others were thinking of signing up for Starfleet or not.

Have a good one!
Ensign_Canuck :)

Edit: Various pre-orders have different items. Steam is supposed to have a pre-order version, but it does not show up in their lists of games. Anyone know anything about that?

Last edited by Surfer_2099; December 17, 2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added a Steam related question
Old December 17, 2009, 09:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm currently in the closed beta for STO. All I can say due to NDA is the target date for February will be very interesting indeed.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old December 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd Sign up, gimme a Steamrunner with a good crew and lets rock the world.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 17, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lol...........
Old December 17, 2009, 09:08 PM
MVP

Borg Cube ftw!

Would be sweet if you could be borg!

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old December 18, 2009, 05:47 AM
Rookie

So far I'm not that interested in it. No matter how different new MMO's seem to be on paper, they all always boil down to the same MMO standards. At least IMO.
Old December 18, 2009, 06:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal2Noise View Post
I'm currently in the closed beta for STO. All I can say due to NDA is the target date for February will be very interesting indeed.
One of my friend is in also and he told me the exact same thing... so i'm guessing they still have TONS of work to do b4 release...
Old December 27, 2009, 08:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

First off... MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR

I've decided to do the pre-order thing and now am trying to rummage up as much info on "free" extras that might be available for the characters through various sources. With the pre-order from EBgames, you get a ship and since I had a 25$ coupon for them, I figured I'd get the Special Edition which has some extras as well.

I was recently at Future Shop and saw that with Season 3 Blue Ray of the Original Star Trek series, there is a code card in the box that gives access to the Admiral's uniform from Wrath of Khan (I think). Since I have no intention of buying any of the series (Blue Ray or other) I was wondering if anyone around here might have bought that series or gotten it for Christmas and have no use for the Code Card since they won't be playing STO.

I'd be very interested in getting that code for the uniform so that my Captain will not only be smart, but look smart as well.

PM me if you feel charitable.

Cheers!
STO_Canuck :)
Old January 5, 2010, 11:56 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

My fiancee and I have pre-ordered digital deluxe editions and are anxiously waiting for the open beta to start next week. Wish they would open up downloads for the beta client already, even if just for pre-orders. Having everyone try and download it on the 11th is going to be chaos.
Old January 5, 2010, 01:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I enjoy Star Trek but am not a fanboy by any means. I have been watching the development of the MMO and it is just not grabbing my attention. I keep imagining all the griefers running around yelling "KAHN", and that every quest will end with reversing the polarity of something. Hopefully they will have a free demo later in the year. I'll definitely try that.

SWTOR, on the other hand...