Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2010, 06:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

First off, I have managed to get my hands on a Uniform Code. A friend of mine at work's brother is a Trekker but did not need the code so I have one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
I enjoy Star Trek but am not a fanboy by any means. I have been watching the development of the MMO and it is just not grabbing my attention. I keep imagining all the griefers running around yelling "KAHN", and that every quest will end with reversing the polarity of something. Hopefully they will have a free demo later in the year. I'll definitely try that.

SWTOR, on the other hand...
I am also not a fan boy for Star Trek but I do like the Star Trek universe. I have been following the game for a few months now through various outlets and overall, what I see I like. There are some things that concern me however like the oversimplification of environment interaction and the apparent lack of what I'll call "Player controlled systems" (at least at launch). As well, I am still really wondering how the economy is going to be handled from an MMO perspective. I don't expect anything as robust as EvE Online, but also, I hope it's not as broken as Age of Conan's was for a long time.

I have read a lot of bad things about the Star Wars MMO's development so it's kind of scaring me away at the moment. We'll see how things turn out with STO first and go from there.

As for greifers... there will always be greifers in one for or another, so I don't pay them any mind.

Quote:
My fiancee and I have pre-ordered digital deluxe editions and are anxiously waiting for the open beta to start next week. Wish they would open up downloads for the beta client already, even if just for pre-orders. Having everyone try and download it on the 11th is going to be chaos.
I agree on the download issue. However, having everyone download at the same time (and therefore be limited due to congestion) is probably better in Cryptic's eyes than having everyone try to log in at the same time and crash their server.

I also wonder if the Open Beta will have play windows like the Closed Beta does with only specific times in the day to play while they monitor what is going on.

Finally to Nerdrage, have you seen the webshow at JUPITER BROADCASTING regarding STO? It's quite good IMO. You should check it out if you already haven't.

Cheers!
Ensign_Canuck :)
Old January 5, 2010, 06:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i am in the beta right now, you can get on it from fileplanet. I am enjoying it a lot more than i thought i would. The space ship combat reminds me a lot of star fleet battles game from a few years back.

Old January 6, 2010, 09:22 AM
Rookie

Star Trek + MMO = me in heaven! Can't wait. Hoping it's not going to be as disappointing as the Lord of the rings MMO was.
3GB RAM
120HDD
Nvidia Geforce 8200M
Old January 6, 2010, 12:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

^Actually I find LotRO to be quite good and entertaining unlike some other fantasy-themed mmos of juggernaut status.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old January 6, 2010, 03:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i dont think startrek online is going to be trying to take down wow, its a niche mmo. People need to stop comparing mmos against eachother, i think its about time there is subgenres. No mmo will ever hope to compete against wow with 5 years of bliz/activision production and content behind it.

Old January 6, 2010, 04:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technokat View Post
i dont think startrek online is going to be trying to take down wow, its a niche mmo. People need to stop comparing mmos against eachother, i think its about time there is subgenres. No mmo will ever hope to compete against wow with 5 years of bliz/activision production and content behind it.
I agree with this statement. I think we've seen too many MMOs fail by trying to be "the next best thing" and launching with the expectation of having a very large following. I think of something like Tabula Rasa or that Pirate Ship one. Even some of the 2009 hopefulls like Warhammer Online and Age of Conan, both based on established products, are having some serious issues.

Besides WoW and a handfull of others I suspect that most upcoming MMOs will search to carve themselve out a niche with realistic subscription goals and then try to build from there while being as profitable as possible.

Even with Cryptic having other backers (I think it's CBS / Paramount that controls the Star Trek licence) I don't think they expect this to be a WoW killer. My suspicion is that they will try to create a stable base and then increase profitability with good expansions and an attractive micro-transaction system muck like the DLC models that Bioware and others are using with some success.

As an aside, I noticed that STEAM has finally placed Star Trek Online on it's pre-order list.

Cheers!
STO_Canuck :)
Old January 15, 2010, 05:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I managed to log a few hours into Beta last night. First impression is this has nothing to do with 1970 Shattner Star Trek, this is 2009 very awesome Star Trek style, very pleased with the settings and how you are dropped into the game.

Other then a few loading issues between zones gameplay is good, space combat is awesome IMHO, graphics are definitly nice, i'm starting to get the hang of things for flying and ground mission on how to make my team do what I want to positionning.

I'll play a few more hours this week-end but so far I Was impressed. It's different, nice and it's Star Trek.
Old January 15, 2010, 05:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I got an open beta key from a large news site and decided to try it. Free is my favorite price. I like it but am not convinced to buy it.

Sulu is in the admiral's office. Don't ask about it in zone chat.
Old January 15, 2010, 05:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
LMAO!!!!!!!

That freaking Hail Starfleet button...
Old January 19, 2010, 07:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
*sigh* I won't jump all over people in Chat who are asking where Sulu is, but at the same time, I wish people would just read the conversations and actually look around and play the game at a reasonable pace instead of skipping the everything that appears on screen that is not a target to blow up.

As for the game... it's really quite a mixed bag. I like a lot of parts of it and dislike a lot of other things. However, I am not trying to get too far into the game and missions. I am more focused on finding and reporting bugs.

Cheers!
Bug_Hunting_Canuck :)