Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Steam backup+ recovery?

So, long story short. I have use the steam game back up fonction in steam to back up all my game + game data on my secondary Hard drive to be abble to avoid downloading over 100Gb of game again. Now I click on the Recovery icon in the steam back up ( steambackup.exe ), steam open. not respong for a few minute and then start downloading the game from the steam server. I just noticed that after over passmy limit for 30Go. If you guys know how to restore my steam game from my HDD plz just tell me;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 8, 2009, 06:48 PM
Banned
F@H

Martin you have the same ISP problem than me.......

I don't know I make back up also but never use it, my steam game are on a seconf HD, when I want to reinstall the OS, I just delete everything in the steam folder except the folder steamsapps and the steam.exe, after reinstall the OS I just click on the steam.exe and it reinstall the necessary files. So I guess it will be better to backup the steamsapps insttead of each game
Old December 8, 2009, 06:56 PM
Banned
F@H

I search a little bit, since I can be concern one day also, and they said you have to put the backup files on a DVD and it will restore it when you put the DVD in the tray. SO I will do right away a copy of the steamsapp to avoid this ..
Old December 8, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya steam backup and recovery sucks so what I always do is just copy the whole steam folder. It is less time and less hassle.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 8, 2009, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I search a little bit, since I can be concern one day also, and they said you have to put the backup files on a DVD and it will restore it when you put the DVD in the tray. SO I will do right away a copy of the steamsapp to avoid this ..
The problem with that is I would need a couple blue ray disks for me to do that lol.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 8, 2009, 06:59 PM
Banned
F@H

started the copy before I have the same problem

Old December 8, 2009, 07:00 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Ya steam backup and recovery sucks so what I always do is just copy the whole steam folder. It is less time and less hassle.
Do this. All you have to do afterward is copy the folder back and reinstall Steam into the same directory, and it'll pick up all of the games you have installed.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:01 PM
Banned
F@H

Ya but the problem Martin do not copy the folder I guess, and before now I was sure I was ok with my Backup one.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:11 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Ah, I see what the problem is. You already backed up your games, but now you can't restore the backup. Unless you still have the original folder, I think you're pretty much out of luck. You'll just have to download everything again unless the restore feature starts working. You might want to just try reinstalling Steam and see if that will get it to work.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I will have ton download everything from the bone. I can't understand why I have to keep my original folder...this feature suck? the point is to be able to get my game faster after a clean install. well Thx guys and mark...Maybe you need few more game to beat me:P

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||