Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh she's seen me play Borderlands. And listened to me go on and on about it, lol. But I think it's too FPS for her. It would be cool to do co-op with her though... hm maybe I'll think about a 2nd copy?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 26, 2009, 12:22 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Stealth action is a good fps primer/alternative genre. Toss a few splinter cells at her.
Old November 26, 2009, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Has she played Oblivion?
My gf is playing right now and is totally hooked.
Watching her play is making me want to play it again.
Old November 26, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Definably Rachet and Clank and LBP.
Old November 26, 2009, 12:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

First I think it's great that your girl is into gaming, my wife enjoys the odd puzzle game here and there and loves playing Peggle. Also NOLF was a fantastic game, I'm going to scour the net right now hopefully find a copy for digital purchase and play it again, if I find NOLF 2 in my search I'll link it back here for you.

As for recommendations, either of the Assassin's Creed games might interest her especially the second one. It's got fighting, sneaking around, historic locales interesting story and characters. I've got a few lady friends who play games and over the years they've all switched from one genre of games to another favouring a good story experience vice game type time and again.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old November 26, 2009, 01:29 PM
Allstar

Deus Ex? It's a FPS/RPG hybrid, and while it looks like a shooter, nearly every mission can be solved using stealth and non-violent means. I don't recall any instance in the game where you are required to actually kill someone with violence (you still kill some people, but indirectly). You can hack/talk/sneak to achieve your objectives.

Also, the hitman series are good stealth/action/shooter games. There are almost always multiple solutions to a level, from guns blazing to stealth and traps. I especially like the unique use of disguises, which have limited effect based on the area you're in. You may need to switch disguises several times throughout a level as the situation changes. For example, you may need to steal a security officer's clothes to get past security and then switch to an employee's clothes for the internal areas. There was one memorable level in hitman 2 where you can either pose as a pizza boy to get past security, or set off a smoke bomb and pose as a fireman. It can be quite hard though since saves are limited.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old November 26, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hmm, Assassin's Creed 2, Deus Ex... all good suggestions!

Yes I know I am very lucky to have a girl that enjoys the games.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 9, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok need some more input here guys. The buy 3 for 2 sale at BB is a great deal and I have an idea for what I want to get her. I am going for games available on PS3 and if we can play together that's a bonus! So here's what I am thinking so far.

($60) Little Big Planet - offline coop, cute, fun, easy
($70) Borderlands - offline coop, funny, fun, shooting
($20) Prince of Persia - easy platforming, pretty, fun

Anyone else have any good ideas? I like this combo because it means I'll get LBP for free, or if you divide the cost three ways $30/game before tax.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old December 9, 2009, 03:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunately, I think you get the cheapest game free. Check it out.
Old December 9, 2009, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hm, well my wife went to both FS and BB and from what I gathered this is pretty much what she did. She didn't tell me games or prices of what she bought, but she said she worked it out to get the maximum discount for dollars spent. I just assumed she meant she bought one expensive game and one cheap game, and got another expensive game for free. As the fine print on the website is rather ambiguous just stating the "free game must be of equal or lesser value up to a max of $69.99". Equal or lesser value of what? The two games in total? The cheapest game you pay for? We'll see what the wife says I just emailed her. ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE