Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2009, 03:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default XBOX 360 or PS3

I'm debating getting rid of a computer and getting a console system (currently have a Wii for the kids).

Anyway I'm told its easy to stream movies from computer to PS3 or XBOX 360.

So besides that which is better for gaming and doing online gaming as well, I love shooting games, racing games and sports (hockey mostly).

I've got friends with both systems and most people are biased one way or another so what would you smart fellars recommend?

Thanks in advance guys!

I'm also told MODDING is not the way to go anymore as Microsoft is banning those etc..

Last but not least once I decide which to get is it ok to get a used one (as long as you test first ofcourse so not banned etc), or should it be a new purchase only type deal?

I'm comfy with computers because I know what to look for etc but not so much with consoles lol.

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old November 25, 2009, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'll be getting a PS3 in Dec. My reasons are:

1. Better Exclusives - 360 has sh1t for exclusives (yay Halo) and since I do like to game on my PC I don't need the same games at $10-$20 more/each lol.
2. Blu-Ray - I know the PS3 is not the best Blu-Ray player out there but it will do me fine.

At $299 for a new unit (to start) I found most used listings of PS3's were not worth it for the few bucks I'd be saving, imho.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 25, 2009, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

PS3 coz of Bluray and GT5!!!

-Plato
Old November 25, 2009, 04:24 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I cannot say much about the xbox honestly, but I have been happy with the PS3 as a media extender and as a Blu-Ray player.

It also folds (only ~900PPD) but mine folds 24/7 no problems in a well-ventilated area.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 25, 2009, 04:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have both and I prefer PS3. Blu-Ray, free online, better exclusives (imo), and it doesn't sound like an airplane's taking off.
Old November 25, 2009, 05:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I am a total supporter of the Xbox 360, but I dont know a heck of a lot about the PS3.

Ill try to label pros and cons when compared to the PS3

XBOX 360
Pros VS (PS3)

- really comfy controllers (PS3 feel like your thumbs are in odd positions)
- Xbox Live is better than PS3 version (as far as my understanding, but PS3 is free where Xbox live Gold is about $60 if u purchase a year all at once)
- Exclusives like Halo, Gears of War (PS3 does have games like Uncharted... umm anything else that is apparently good?)
- Wireless N adapter available ($100) (PS3 does have wireless G built inside for free)
- console purchase normally comes with a couple games in the box. Best Buy has it with Fable 2 as a free add-on.
- dead easy to set up streaming multimedia content from your PC (no experience with the PS3 here)

And the two links i added just below here are more for entertainment than actual knowledge, but you may find them amusing when it comes to the PS3.

How You Killed Your Brand… Officially | Sarcastic Gamer

No Frickin Games! The new PS3 Song. | Sarcastic Gamer
Old November 25, 2009, 05:41 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

From what I've heard, if you want to do online gaming, 360 is the way to go. PS3 does have free online gaming, but apparently 360's paid service is much better supported and implemented.

I, however, am not so much for online gaming, so it didn't really factor into my decision.

My personal choice was a PS3, however. It has the built in blu-ray, I love the controllers (really more a preference and conditioning thing), and the media streaming is stupid easy; I'd be lost without it. Now I just have to wait for God of War III to come out <sigh>.
Old November 25, 2009, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangegat View Post
I am a total supporter of the Xbox 360, but I dont know a heck of a lot about the PS3.

Ill try to label pros and cons when compared to the PS3

XBOX 360
Pros VS (PS3)

- really comfy controllers (PS3 feel like your thumbs are in odd positions)
- Xbox Live is better than PS3 version (as far as my understanding, but PS3 is free where Xbox live Gold is about $60 if u purchase a year all at once)
- Exclusives like Halo, Gears of War (PS3 does have games like Uncharted... umm anything else that is apparently good?)
- Wireless N adapter available ($100) (PS3 does have wireless G built inside for free)
- console purchase normally comes with a couple games in the box. Best Buy has it with Fable 2 as a free add-on.
- dead easy to set up streaming multimedia content from your PC (no experience with the PS3 here)

And the two links i added just below here are more for entertainment than actual knowledge, but you may find them amusing when it comes to the PS3.

How You Killed Your Brand… Officially | Sarcastic Gamer

No Frickin Games! The new PS3 Song. | Sarcastic Gamer
Sorry I have to reply to that.
Gears & Halo vs let's see...

These are just the ones I can think of:

Killzone 2
Uncharted 1&2
Resistance 1&2
MGS4
Little Big Planet
Flower
Infamous
Ratchet & Clank
Valkyria Chronicles
Warhawk
God of War 1, 2 & 3

Granted if you want a better online experience than you get to pay for it with Live, or just keep your PC and pay nothing for it on all exactly the same games except for... 2. :P

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 25, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How about this?

Old November 25, 2009, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, if you did plan on modding a 360, you can still do it safely, just make sure not to play any of your backups online until a fix on the modding scene is available, whether it be a new iXtreme firmware, new ABGX application, etc. That's the way the modding scene works; ban-wave, scene-fix, ban-wave, scene-fix, and so on.