Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2009, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The hired icefrog from DOTA fame to make a similar style game for valve.
Old November 12, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Then it'll be delayed several years and by the time it comes out will look mediocre compared to all the other games that are released at around the same time...
I doubt it. Plus, look at how timeless the GoldSrc and Source engines are. If I have to wait a long time in-between such gaming engines, then so be it. Quality over quantity.
Old November 12, 2009, 08:02 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
I doubt it. Plus, look at how timeless the GoldSrc and Source engines are. If I have to wait years for another such engine, so be it.
Timeless? Neither engine was particularly groundbreaking when it was released. And Source looks like crap by modern standards, even with the current heavily-upgraded version.
Old November 12, 2009, 09:23 PM
MVP

Episode 3 is a lie
Or at least thats what should have been written on the walls in portal. We had more cake in portal then episode 3 from Valve.
Old November 13, 2009, 02:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

To be honest, I dont care about L$D2 at all, they can try the entire yearly releases on it but it wont work. I do however care about Episode 3 and Portal 2, and for that matter, Half Life 3. And for the life of me I cant understand how Valve has screwed up their own concept of episodic gaming, full games get released faster than this, its shameful. I really really hope what they are working on are somewhat related to these and not something like TF3, or L$D3
Old November 13, 2009, 06:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

lol at that article ... we wouldn't want to disrupt Valve time now would we. I too wish they would finish the Half Life series, as it is the sole reason I play computer games.
Old November 13, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Timeless? Neither engine was particularly groundbreaking when it was released. And Source looks like crap by modern standards, even with the current heavily-upgraded version.
Um were you born before Half-Life 2 came out? It was the Crysis of its time. sigh.....

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 13, 2009, 07:47 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Um were you born before Half-Life 2 came out? It was the Crysis of its time. sigh.....
HL2 had an awful lighting system and lackluster texturing even for games that came out in 2004. Its only real strengths were the physics engine (which was middleware not developed by Valve), its fairly heavy use of shaders, and the facial animation system. Games like Far Cry and Chronicles of Riddick had better graphics overall, and Doom 3 had a far superior lighting system which was actually based on fully dynamic light sources rather than HL2's total use of static lightmaps (which you can easily tell by noting the fact that all shadows point in the same direction regardless of any other lights in the scene). And for an example of a game with fantastic texturing, take a look at Painkiller.

So yes, I was around when HL2 came out, and I was rather disappointed by a game which I had been anticipating for years but was slightly outdated in terms of technology by the time it came out and was filled with lackluster gameplay segments that I felt were merely filler.
Old November 13, 2009, 10:10 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
The hired icefrog from DOTA fame to make a similar style game for valve.
Where does that come from?

I doubt it, Icefrog already refused an offer from S2 (Heroes of Newerth) and that game smells like success.