Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old November 8, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evilyeti's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brandon, Manitoba
Posts: 317

My System Specs

Default ID Software might follow Infinity Ward

id: Probably No Dedicated Servers for Rage - Id Software - Kotaku

I don't think this is going to be as big of a deal as MW2 but if more developers follow suite its really going to suck

Quote from the article:
""It's not cast in stone yet, but at this point no, we don't think we will have dedicated servers," he said, according to Variety. But he's glad "we won't have to be a pioneer on that. We'll see how it works out for everyone else.""
__________________
This is my signature! Roar
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old November 8, 2009, 10:06 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Peterborough/Barrie Ontario
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilyeti View Post
"we won't have to be a pioneer on that. We'll see how it works out for everyone else.""
lol, you think that watching how things have played out so far would be enough.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old November 9, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thund3rball's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,526

My System Specs

Default

Rage is a SP focused game anyways. IIRC the MP part may follow the Borderlands route in which case dedicated servers are not necessary.
__________________
"this is not troll. this is real deal!" - hohohee

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)


HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old November 9, 2009, 10:14 AM
thenewguy001's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Rage is a SP focused game anyways. IIRC the MP part may follow the Borderlands route in which case dedicated servers are not necessary.
I don't know much about rage but that makes sense if it's going to be a multiplayer coop. Multiplayer competitive games definitely need dedicated servers.
__________________
i5 2500K @ 4.0 GHz
2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Patriot Pyro 240GB
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old November 9, 2009, 02:03 PM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,039

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
IIRC the MP part may follow the Borderlands route in which case dedicated servers are not necessary.

If that is the case then they definately need to get their shit together.

Even trying to play on LAN took an hour of trying to figure out what the hell it was doing.

They need a "server" program that comes with the game that has ultra configurability or something... something that you could even run on another computer in your LAN.

Something that transverses firewalls would be really nice too... a little bit of work from them would do a whole lot to making MP in future games without dedicated servers MUCH easier.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old November 9, 2009, 03:23 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
If that is the case then they definately need to get their shit together.

Even trying to play on LAN took an hour of trying to figure out what the hell it was doing.

They need a "server" program that comes with the game that has ultra configurability or something... something that you could even run on another computer in your LAN.

Something that transverses firewalls would be really nice too... a little bit of work from them would do a whole lot to making MP in future games without dedicated servers MUCH easier.
They just need UPnP support. That would take care of all the network issues.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old November 9, 2009, 04:49 PM
headsh0t's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 2,568

My System Specs

Default

Yes, this seems like a Borderlands type game anyways, not a competitive multiplayer focused game like MW2 so no big deal I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old November 12, 2009, 10:04 AM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,401

My System Specs

Default

If this keeps up you can be sure developers will follow Infinity Ward:
Call of Duty game sells $310M in 24 hours - thestar.com

See? You don't need PC gamers to make some dough on a top notch game...right?....
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter! SKYMTL Site Announcements 22 November 26, 2009 10:41 PM
Infinity Ward = crap cdn_Madrach Gaming 20 November 9, 2009 04:41 PM
Need info fast - 1000$ built follow up jspot69 New Builds 0 March 20, 2009 07:37 AM
Tools of the Trade (pics to follow) Soultribunal O/S's, Drivers & General Software 28 January 2, 2009 02:52 PM
Follow Freeman lcdguy Gaming 2 December 3, 2008 08:54 AM