Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

View Poll Results: Should Hardware Canucks Include Modern Warfare 2 in it's benchmarks?
Yes. It should be included. 23 19.66%
No. It should not be included. 94 80.34%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2009, 10:06 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Hmm the engine is upgraded, i have noticed its using 4 cpu cores as opposed to 2 for cod4, not sure of my fps though, no console to enable that. Gotta dig out the old fraps looks like

you're a traitor btw. if your pc breaks... you can go play on your console.

Btw. your FPS <= 60. always.
Old November 10, 2009, 10:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

Another question to be asked... Don't the current benchmarks just run a demo recorded by one of the reviewers? Assuming that is the case, how will one record and play back demos with the lack of a console unless IW has opted to add a special menu for this, and based on how poorly they are treating PC gamers I'd guess there is not one. A benchmark without one set standard is completely pointless, and based on that alone this game shouldn't be included. And since this game uses pretty much the same engine as CoD4 and WaW, people who are interested in MW2 performance can simply look at CoD4 and WaW benchmarks to get a fairly good idea.
Old November 10, 2009, 10:38 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Ultra-Realistic Modern Warfare Game Features Awaiting Orders, Repairing Trucks | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old November 10, 2009, 10:55 AM
MVP

My System Specs

First off... That video was laugh out loud funny. Thanks for that!

I took a bit of time and looked up some early reviews online and have read that the game is well done and that the graphics are improved over Modern Warfare. That said, all the review I have read have made a point to mention that IW set up the PC game exactly the same as the Console versions because they wanted everyone to have the same gaming experience regardless of platforms. (Is that sincere or simply spin... you decide.)

As for the benchmarks, I suppose you'd have to use FRAPS or some similar 3rd party app to capture the frames and the gameplay video. I can't claim to know what to do with a game that has no benchmarking tools.

Cheers!
Pensive_Canuck :)
Old November 10, 2009, 11:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

Ya you can get the FPS from Fraps or similar tools, but even if they play the exact same section of gameplay it may still vary greatly. Maybe when they are doing one card, the AI players throw 8 grenades, but then with the next card they only throw 2. Things like that will cause so much error in the results that they will be almost useless for comparing hardware that is similar in performance. Demos allow you to record gameplay and then go back and rewatch is as though it was being played live. That way they can use the exact same thing for each piece of hardware so that the only variation in their testing is different hardware and drivers.
Old November 10, 2009, 12:05 PM
MVP

but there's no ingame record function on MW2 either
Old November 10, 2009, 01:13 PM
Banned

Ultra-Realistic Modern Warfare Game Features Awaiting Orders, Repairing Trucks | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Somewhat fitting...
Old November 10, 2009, 01:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

WAW didn't have a built-in timedemo recorder either. I use a walkthrough.
Old November 10, 2009, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ah, I love the Onion.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 10, 2009, 02:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
you're a traitor btw. if your pc breaks... you can go play on your console.

Btw. your FPS <= 60. always.

heh, ive never owned a console.. except for a nec super cdrom 12 years ago.

After playing online for 5 hours, i do greatly enjoy it, sure theres a few things im pissed about, but they're not a game breaker. Besides the negative things about not having a console, its going to equalize the experience, so you dont have uninformed players against guys running around with increased field of view, decreased textures which allow you to see through some objects, and maxfps increased which allows you to jump higher, (all allowed by punkbuster.) Not having dedicated servers is very poor, its going to make recruiting in my clan exponentially more difficult then in cod4. Also i dont know if its possible to play your favorite map over and over. On the upside steam makes it very easy to join a friend's game and chat with people without having to minimize. What im interested to see is how the steam vac or "valve anticheat" performs, as with punkbuster i suspect it kicks more people that arent hacking then those that are! I had always played on pb enabled servers since release and see a few blatant hackers a week. Headshot, headshot headshot, and this is after pb and iw has had 2 years to patch glitches and exploits, not to mention how many that were hacking discreetly. Hopefully vac performs better. Also, like it or not, it is going to be very popular and hopefully newcomers to hwc will drop by to read hardware reviews that include it.

Please dont HS me for poking my head up with a positive word