Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2009, 12:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I pre-purchased it on Steam for $14.99 and have played it a bit. I have a level 15 (iirc) Vanquisher, basically spec'd like a bowzon.

IMO it feels exactly like Diablo. Not quite Diablo 2, slightly more Diablo since there's only one small town, and one dungeon that just keeps going deeper and deeper. It's very fun in it's own right, but I think it would be so much better (and it would sell so much better) if it had multiplayer. Yes, if you didn't know yet, you just read correctly. Torchlight has no multiplayer.Only the singleplayer "story" mode.

The UI is pretty nice, and overall the art style is pleasant, some would call it "cartoony". As an old D/D2/LoD player waiting for D3 to come out, this makes a fun very Diablo-like game to play while waiting for D3. As I've previously said though, it would be so much better with multiplayer. For me the biggest part of playing Diablo (2 and LoD anyway) was, oh I don't know, the whole "playing with friends" part. While clearing endless dungeons alone is alright, doing it while chilling with friends makes it so much more enjoyable.

However, having been released in the popular "just before Christmas" timeframe, it has many other games to compete with. In the RPG realm there's Borderlands (ok FPS/RPG, but still part RPG nonetheless), and Dragon Age: Origins (which comes out on Steam tomorrow November 3rd) to compete with; and outside of RPGs there's Left 4 Dead 2 and CoD Modern Warfare 2 (both not released yet, but coming soon) which it will also have to compete with, as well as probably a couple of others coming out in the pre-holiday/holiday season.
-Deadpool
Old November 23, 2009, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Spent some time with the demo last night after finishing Borderlands. I must say it was highly addictive. I am not really into Action RPGs that much. I never really got into Diablo *dodges knives and insults*. But I think this will make an excellent game for my laptop as it ran at max settings without any problems.

I really like the art style. And I am getting used to all the inventory and nuances of weapons and skills of a game like this. I thought I might spend 1/2 an hour on the demo and like one hour later I realized it was 30 mins past my bedtime, lol. I think I would happily lay down $20 for this before I shell out the big bucks for something like Dragon Age Origins. And if I like this enough I will probably pick up D3 when the time comes. Well done Runic!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 24, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So I have been playing the demo for like 2 hours now over two nights and like uhm... does it end? I am not complaining I am just wondering. What motivation do I have to buy the game if I get my fill on a demo that A) saves my game so I can pick up where I left off and B) lasts longer than any demo I have ever played... ever? lol

Great fun though! I am warming up to this dungeon crawler and thinking about nabbing the Witcher now as it is the RPG to get before DA:O came out. But xmas is coming and my stack of games to play may exceed my time allotted for playing. Bah decisions, decisions *shrugs*.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 24, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

The demo ends as soon as you try to go down one floor below the boss you face. And until you go down to lower floors, a lot of other quests don't start appearing. It's a big game, although the vast majority of it is spent pretty much the same way as you spend the demo, except with a wider variety of terrains and some pretty crazy swarms of monsters at times.
Old December 22, 2009, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It does seem to be somewhat addictive. After downloading it last night, I now have a level 20 character simply named "test".

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old December 22, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

awwww, bummer for you guys, i got it last weekend when it was on sale for 10 dollars.

pretty damn fun, but im still kinda of confused about all the stats.
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Old December 22, 2009, 03:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It was on sale at direct2drive again for $10. Limited time special, looks like it's gone again. I picked it up, will try it out later.
Old December 22, 2009, 04:44 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I picked it up off of Steam a few days ago. Haven't had a chance to play all that much, but the few hours I spent on it were quite fun. Definitely worth the $10 .
Old December 22, 2009, 05:20 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I picked it up on Steam a few days go for $9.99, I can say without a doubt its worth more than $9.99 my character is level 14 or 15 now, And its a awesome game. If you ever played Diablo 1 the music totally feels like Diablo 1, the game reminds me a lot of Diablo 1 + 2 in every way.

You know it was designed by the original creators of Diablo when you think your playing Diablo.

Highly recommend this game
Old December 26, 2009, 04:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Now on Steam for $4.99, for another 17 hours. Go get your copy.