Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21, 2009, 08:48 AM
Top Prospect

IW put out an announcement. From Modern Warfare 2 PC's IWNET An "Improvement" Over Dedicated Servers, Says IW - Modern warfare 2 - Kotaku

Quote:
Infinity Ward's revelation that Modern Warfare 2 for the PC would drop dedicated servers for online multiplayer in favor of the developer's IWNET tech was met with the usual community grumbling. Now IW is trying to clear the air. Amid frantic petition signing and friendly sniping about the change from competitors, Infinity Ward's Robert "FourZeroTwo" Bowling says that "IWNET is an improvement" over the dedicated server options PC gamers have become accustomed to. And he attempts to sell that to the Call of Duty community in a new post on his site.
Bowling writes that the IWNET matchmaking service is "the biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games," explaining how various aspects of the new Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer feature set works.
From matchmaking to private games to clan matches, Bowling touches on the many concerns that PC players seem to have about IWNET versus dedicated servers. "It doesn't mean you'll just be thrown into a random game!" he says, saying that playlists, the party system and friendslists will make playing with clans or setting up scrimmage sessions "easier and hassle free."
Bowling ends it with perhaps the most attractive feature of IWNET, which uses Valve's Anti Cheat.
"The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don't have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters," Bowling writes. "Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it."
We've reached out to Activision and Infinity Ward for additional comment on the change.
Modern Warfare 2 For PC
Old October 21, 2009, 08:59 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
While those are all some very good points (and some unnecessary ones hinting at my level of maturity), I still don't get what the big deal is here...
I think to get the "So what?" factor you need to consider the difference between PC and console gamers. PC gamers are comparitively niche audience, who are more "hardcore" and desire a different experience than console gaming.

The two types treat their games like they treat their respective platforms: console gamers want something that is up and ready to play out of the box, and PC gamers want something they can deeply modify. Take that away, and you're just playing a really expensive Xbox with a mouse.

Consider this: imagine if they removed the ultra violence from a grindhouse movie. Would that appeal to a wider audience? Sure. Would it still be grindhouse? Same thing with matchmaking - it allows for greater accessibility but at the risk of qualitatively changing the experience.
Old October 21, 2009, 09:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

All I know is that in most games I have these things called "favorite servers" where I know all the people of the clans, the admins, and the regular players. I like to use this thing called my "mic" to talk to them. It's fun, because I'm playing with my "friends". I don't want to just press a button and I will be playing with different people every time. If I want to though, I have the option with the dedicated server system.
Old October 21, 2009, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have never been this into games before, so I am kind of laughing at how people are reacting to this, but at the same time I think IW is retarded for their solution on anti piracy.
it would make some difficulties but as a solution they could have it so with the key you only get one account, and you can only install it on one computer with a check system each time you log on to make sure that your account and the installed copy of the game are the same. If you want to install the game on another machine, when it detects that the serial number has been used it asks you if this is the primary computer you want to use for the game now, if you select yes then it deletes ID tags (something that is specific to each computer and cant be spoofed such as mac address) from the remote serial server and adds the new computers ID tags. when you log on the game checks those ID tags to make sure you have not copied the program and your computer sends out the ID tags to the ID server at IW and when you log on it makes sure the key match. and have a record of each serial number that goes out (if you have something making and printingthem it would not be too hard to just have a step in there tossing the keys into a table the your ID server can use). there you go people cant pirate the game and you don't alienate your client base.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old October 21, 2009, 09:25 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I like how they are going to be using the valve anti cheat, as punkbuster seems to kick people who arent hacking more then those who are. Its been about 2 years since it was out, and hackers are still finding ways to annoy others. Tf2 ive cant say ive ever seen a hacker, though counterstrike is another story - not sure if it uses vac. I definatly dont agree with the direction they are taking, as im going to miss having a clan server and the responsibility and enjoyment that comes with it. Who knows, perhapes some good will come out of this.
Old October 21, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm, seems there's a lot of hate against clans here. I run a clan with 4 other people and we rent dedicated Counter Strike: Source and Killing Floor servers. Now, the main reasons are obvious, you can put whatever maps you want, whatever game settings you want, and more stuff like that. Another *main* thing as well is that I can administrate my server. When there's an obvious hacker, I can ban him. Someone feel like being an asshat? Not in my server.
With the way IWNet is, you have no control at all. You can't administrate, all you can do is leave and wait to find another group of people who may be as bad or worse as the last group you just ended up with.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 21, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_Madrach View Post
Well good luck running a 24 man private match on your own connection ....
You could if it's a commercial connection! 15/15 could probably do it. And good point in the above post about banning, especially if it's obvious hack. They should at least incorporate a Votekick feature to the PC version. But ya I was looking forward to being able to actually select what server I wanted to play on, now I might as well just buy it for console again.
Old October 21, 2009, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like joining my favorite servers and playing with people I can trust and game mods that I like. I hate it when I go to play something and it is just random crap like Halo is. Sure you can play with friends but they aren't always on. My favorite dedicated servers have good admins, respectable people, good map collection including custom maps, no idiots, no mic spammers, no cheaters, and always full and fun.

Now if they take that away I will be FORCED to play with idiots and mic spammers and children that are on the opposite team but say they are on your team and then scream when you kill them..... sigh. Matchmaking is the WORST way to do any online gaming. If you do it like CS:S or COD4 or anything good you can just jump right in and play what you WANT and not what some stupid computer wants half way around the world. Also if you want to play with random people then that is easy because there are a few thousand servers. Matchmaking just plain sucks no matter how you put it.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 21, 2009, 07:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I like joining my favorite servers and playing with people I can trust and game mods that I like. I hate it when I go to play something and it is just random crap like Halo is. Sure you can play with friends but they aren't always on. My favorite dedicated servers have good admins, respectable people, good map collection including custom maps, no idiots, no mic spammers, no cheaters, and always full and fun.

Now if they take that away I will be FORCED to play with idiots and mic spammers and children that are on the opposite team but say they are on your team and then scream when you kill them..... sigh. Matchmaking is the WORST way to do any online gaming. If you do it like CS:S or COD4 or anything good you can just jump right in and play what you WANT and not what some stupid computer wants half way around the world. Also if you want to play with random people then that is easy because there are a few thousand servers. Matchmaking just plain sucks no matter how you put it.
QFT_Canuck :)
Old October 22, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

YouTube - Bobby Kotick Holds Dedicated Servers Hostage

epic video.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."