Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2009, 08:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

they may not ignore us.. but they sure dont respect us.. this game came out on PC first and the PC community are the ones that made it popular, but i guess were just being pushed aside towards console type play.. i'll stick to cod4 and 5 for now until something different comes out. hopefully EA will make a decent MOH or BF game soon.
Quote:
West takes a shot at the motives behind some of the outrage, noting that there's money to made by selling dedicated servers and adspace on them: "It's a little dubious. Some of the people complaining are complaining with their pocketbook."
Infinity Ward Responds To PC Fanboys' Dedicated Server Woes - News - GameInformer.com

Old October 20, 2009, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
they may not ignore us.. but they sure dont respect us.. this game came out on PC first and the PC community are the ones that made it popular, but i guess were just being pushed aside towards console type play.
That's exactly it, and I hate that some game developers are starting to forget where their roots came from. PC will ALWAYS be the better gaming platform (in my opinion) because of how much the end user can do with their game. Want a mod? Go ahead, add some files and you're good to go. Want a couple of new maps? Go download them off of a website for free. Not; Want something new? Give us a couple months and $10 and you can have 3 maps. Oh, and sorry if the servers go down because they got demolished by the number of people trying to play (Battlefield: Bad Company ring a bell anyone?)
Get the mindless console drones to fill your pockets with money and then turn around and remember that the people who got you where you are now are probably still some of the same people playing the game now.
With this said I will still probably buy it because it will most likely be an amazing game, but if matchmaking works like it did in L4D, it will sit there installed and rarely touched as L4D is currently.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 20, 2009, 11:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Modern Warfare 2 PC's IWNET An "Improvement" Over Dedicated Servers, Says IW - Modern warfare 2 - Kotaku

So, hey! Now you don't have to worry about cheating cause we have VAC! Yaye! Clearly, that absolves the negatives right there, right? :P
Old October 20, 2009, 11:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lol ya Cowboy I think you misunderstood the dedicated server part. IW doesn't host the dedicated servers, you could set it up to run at your house on your computer, at your friends house or whatever. Most clans will rent servers for their players, and with those servers you can setup whatever kind of options you want in the game like custom maps, and other mods. cdn_Madrach said it nicely and you've probably already read his post so ya. It wouldn't be as big of a deal as it is if all it was was that IW wasn't hosting their own servers. One thing that is incorrect though is that people are thinking that it will be like CoD4 on console now, like when the host left the game, the game ended for everyone - well now when host leaves it just pauses for a minute, selects new host and then continues. I was actually gonna pick this game up for PC this time since I've got CoD4 for PS3 and CoD5 for 360, but now? There's no difference anymore! It seems IW has always wanted to be making console games though: "With Call of Duty 2, we were dead set against it being World War II," Zampella said. "But Activision really wanted it, the compromise sort of being that we'd get some dev kits for consoles in exchange for doing a World War II game. We always wanted to be on consoles and Activision saw us as more of a PC developer."

'Activision did not want Modern Warfare' - Infinity Ward - PC News at GameSpot

Last edited by headsh0t; October 20, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old October 21, 2009, 12:10 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Rodney Reynolds had a good answer on this, and is helping get the word out :)

YouTube - #299 - Q&A: Will CoD: Modern Warfare 2 game have fully dedicated servers for the PC?
Old October 21, 2009, 07:16 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I myself don't have a hate on for Consoles. I quite enjoy playing NHL10 or Madden, RockBand or even some Racing games (provided I've got a wheel) on Consoles. They DO have their place. However, I find them limited in respects to RPG, RTS and FPS.

Aside from the mods debate, a colleague of mine plays WAW on both PC and xBox360 and he really sees the difference in the communities. So essentially, if he knows his nephew are brother are going to play a game of WAW on their xBox360, he logs in and plays on the console because it's not a random group, it's people he knows. But if he wants to play with some random people, he hunts down a server with settings and rules he likes on his PC and plays there.

Auto-matching seems to always give him groups of people (not just teens - adults can be idiots too), who are screaming, and cursing and using racial slurs constantly. That's something I also can't stand.

THAT's where dedicated servers win over the Console auto-matching approach.

Cheers!
Morning_Thoughts_Canuck :)

ps: I cancelled my pre-order, but that was to send a message. I admit, I may still buy the game if the Single Player is good, but I will wait for a slight price drop now since I won't really use the Multi-player aspect in its current form.
Old October 21, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
I don't see how this is the end of the world... Are people just looking for an excuse to hate this game?

first, it was the price...

then it was the late release date that everyone was hating on...

And now its that there will be no dedicated servers (Counter strike has player-run servers... and they're doing just fine)

Jeez! You guys are so hard to please! No wonder PC gaming is dying, what with all you ninnies crying about this garbage! Get over it. Its not like they're going to charge you $20 a month to play it (cough... WoW... COUGH!).

Lol... People are pissed! You hear that? Yeah. People are actually UPSET because a company refuses to provide servers for you to play on, and might I add, AT NO [direct] COST TO YOU*.

*I have a feeling that it would have been reflected in a higher retail cost, but since its not being implemented... YAY more discounts!

EDIT:

And on a side note: Clans? Seriously? Guys... grow up. Lack of "clan servers" is not that big of a deal. "Oh, this sucks... I can't train on my 'clan server'... now I wont get an unfair advantage over other people"

Honest to god, most people who will be playing (&Buying, no doubt) this game are not that hard core. They play for fun, for the thrill of the game... not to be in some silly clan full of 12 year olds who teabag and shout swear words over the mic when they die. IW is just cutting an unnecessary (&hefty, server upkeep is expensive) expense to help keep them afloat in these harsh economic times. I sure as heck want to see these guys in business, trying to make more of these awesome games. I enjoy cod4 very much, and its good to see people with the right heads on the right shoulders to make a game that is so enjoyable to so many.
I think you're misunderstanding the petition. The problem that IW brought was that we are not allowed to select a server that we want to go in. Instead, the matchmaking program does that for us (think of it like Valve's implementation for L4D, just without that lousy pre-game channel. Remember being matched to 300 ping servers from China and France?). So, in reality, how do we know that we'll be able to play with our friends when the server is full already, or the matchmaking service will put us in other servers? We want our own server to play on, and feel free to play on it when we choose to. I want to be able to type in the console the specific IP that I want to join, for example. This new matchmaking system also screwed up matchplay as well, for the same reason. How are teams supposed to meet up in one server?

They're basically porting the Xbox360 matchmaking service and putting it on PC. WTF. This is why I still play Valve games longer than any others, because I know how some servers run and the people who run them.

In terms of IW's financial position? I'd say they've hit the nail on the head with COD4, and they're probably still bringing in sales. They're doing just fine.

IW has never hosted dedicated servers, nor shall it. It's up to the community to rent them. Also, Clans don't gain advantages when they host their server, other than admin privileges. So I fail to see your point on that one.
Old October 21, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

While those are all some very good points (and some unnecessary ones hinting at my level of maturity), I still don't get what the big deal is here. I LIKE the L4D matchmaking system, and don't forget that it also gives you the option to play with people on your friends list. I've have never been connected to a french server... or even a chinese one for that matter! Always Canadian, sometimes quebec... but everyone speaks english so its all good.

I never cared for mods or custom maps or custom servers (my experience is from CS & CS:S over the last 8 years). All of them suck IMO. I've never been on a custom server that I actually enjoyed playing and had actual fun.

Whats so wrong with PC gaming changing? Even if it is to be more like the consoles? I always liked how the xbox360 set up matches between players of equal skill level so everyone could have a good time, as opposed to having the 1 or 2 1337 h4x0rs that mop the floor with everyone else and people get frustrated. I always hated joining a server only to be greeted by a hail of bullets and a K/D of 1/33 within a matter of minutes.

People, this isn't the end of the world. People who will want dedicated servers will find a way of running them (and I still don't get whats going on exactly... I'm getting mixed messages from everyone who is trying to 'correct me').

And you will never change my opinion of people who play in clans.

Old October 21, 2009, 09:34 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
And you will never change my opinion of people who play in clans.
Players in clans can be arrogant and inconsiderate to their teammates. I have met some who try to provide advice and organize the team to counter-snipers,claymores. Some players don't know you could get bomb squad and shoot claymores. I hate generalizing too but I have found team deathmatch servers to be complete anarchy.

Dedicated servers aren't too much of a problem to me but I think some of the "fanbase" who has reacted negatively thinks they are removing a gameplay breaking feature.
Old October 21, 2009, 09:47 AM
Allstar

Well good luck running a 24 man private match on your own connection ....be lucky if you can manage 8 without lag. Also I agree with TDM mayhem that is exactly why on a dedicated server you can mix up game types or eliminate them altogether or even create a new one. Oh and I do agree that hackers suck ...but because you or I or anyone get pwnd on a server or map doesn't make the opposing team or player a hacker.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd