Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2009, 10:22 AM
Top Prospect

"Hmm.. let's circumvent one of the major reasons why PC gaming is advantageous to console gaming. Fans will love that!"

What's the official reason for this? Piracy? How exactly is matchmaking going to prevent that?
Old October 20, 2009, 03:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I listened to the whole conversation that they had with the guy and the reaction was stunning!

I think this is just not about piracy, but it's more about Downloadable Content IMO.

If they can sell a game, then sell maps and mods for it (even for relatively cheaply), then it's a better profit producer for the game. I equate it to Neverwinter Nights Premium Modules or Guitar Hero song downloads. Play the songs enough and you'll want more, so you get them for a fairly moderate price. Sell a new map (or map pack) for 4.99$ through Steam. Quick, easy and pain free, and if you sell 10 000 maps a week, and you release a map every week or two, it creates a pretty good revenue stream. Essentially, entire clans would have to buy the map packs because they'd need to play the same maps.

I personally don't like it and I think the only I think anyone can combat this unless they actually don't buy the game at all, or at least boycot the servers or downloadable content once it is released. Combine the NON-sale of Modern Warfare 2 with the agressive purchase of a PC friendly game (to underline that we'll support game producers who will support PC-gamers) and perhaps other company's will look at the Modern Warfare 2 situation and say "Screw that. If we go console style, the PC gaming community is going to fry us."

I've cancelled my pre-order (as apparently many have) and am now in a "wait and see" mode. Hell, for me it's not even the dedicated server aspect that bugs me, it's the console oriented approach to the game. If I wanted an xBox360, I would simply not buy a second Radeon 5850.

Cheers!
Meditative_Canuck :(
Old October 20, 2009, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

I don't see how this is the end of the world... Are people just looking for an excuse to hate this game?

first, it was the price...

then it was the late release date that everyone was hating on...

And now its that there will be no dedicated servers (Counter strike has player-run servers... and they're doing just fine)

Jeez! You guys are so hard to please! No wonder PC gaming is dying, what with all you ninnies crying about this garbage! Get over it. Its not like they're going to charge you $20 a month to play it (cough... WoW... COUGH!).

Lol... People are pissed! You hear that? Yeah. People are actually UPSET because a company refuses to provide servers for you to play on, and might I add, AT NO [direct] COST TO YOU*.

*I have a feeling that it would have been reflected in a higher retail cost, but since its not being implemented... YAY more discounts!

EDIT:

And on a side note: Clans? Seriously? Guys... grow up. Lack of "clan servers" is not that big of a deal. "Oh, this sucks... I can't train on my 'clan server'... now I wont get an unfair advantage over other people"

Honest to god, most people who will be playing (&Buying, no doubt) this game are not that hard core. They play for fun, for the thrill of the game... not to be in some silly clan full of 12 year olds who teabag and shout swear words over the mic when they die. IW is just cutting an unnecessary (&hefty, server upkeep is expensive) expense to help keep them afloat in these harsh economic times. I sure as heck want to see these guys in business, trying to make more of these awesome games. I enjoy cod4 very much, and its good to see people with the right heads on the right shoulders to make a game that is so enjoyable to so many.

Old October 20, 2009, 05:33 PM
MVP

I think this pretty much sums up how I feel about IW at this point.

YouTube - **** You - Lily Allen (Lyrics)

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old October 20, 2009, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

News: Infinity Ward: PC petition "won't be ignored" - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Good stuff.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
I don't see how this is the end of the world... Are people just looking for an excuse to hate this game?

first, it was the price...

then it was the late release date that everyone was hating on...

And now its that there will be no dedicated servers (Counter strike has player-run servers... and they're doing just fine)

Jeez! You guys are so hard to please! No wonder PC gaming is dying, what with all you ninnies crying about this garbage! Get over it. Its not like they're going to charge you $20 a month to play it (cough... WoW... COUGH!).

Lol... People are pissed! You hear that? Yeah. People are actually UPSET because a company refuses to provide servers for you to play on, and might I add, AT NO [direct] COST TO YOU*.

*I have a feeling that it would have been reflected in a higher retail cost, but since its not being implemented... YAY more discounts!

EDIT:

And on a side note: Clans? Seriously? Guys... grow up. Lack of "clan servers" is not that big of a deal. "Oh, this sucks... I can't train on my 'clan server'... now I wont get an unfair advantage over other people"

Honest to god, most people who will be playing (&Buying, no doubt) this game are not that hard core. They play for fun, for the thrill of the game... not to be in some silly clan full of 12 year olds who teabag and shout swear words over the mic when they die. IW is just cutting an unnecessary (&hefty, server upkeep is expensive) expense to help keep them afloat in these harsh economic times. I sure as heck want to see these guys in business, trying to make more of these awesome games. I enjoy cod4 very much, and its good to see people with the right heads on the right shoulders to make a game that is so enjoyable to so many.

Wow...... do you even know the PC gaming demographic? What you just described is the average CONSOLE player. They're trying to turn a PC game into a CONSOLE game. No no. Does not work. Is b0rked. PC players buy PC's to play with more skilled players, for advanced competitive play, for dedicated servers (Australian players are doomed!) for competitive play.... I can go on and on.

All this is is a glorified console port. And they want to charge MORE. VAC is also a joke and I hate Steam (doesn't even work for me). I LIKE dedicated servers. PC gamers WANT dedicated servers, that's why 100,000+ people have signed a petition saying they want them. Just because you can't compete with the better players means nothing, go play on a server full of noobs. Matchmaking kills all sorts of things, no tactical servers, no modded servers, no scrims, nothing but just playing. And you have to wait.

I for one LOVE modded servers and play very competitively -- I consider ProMod, clan servers (for scrims, player hosted servers don't work due to unfair advantages) and the like to be a must. Right now, it looks like PC gaming itself just took a massive hit. I don't know HOW THE HELL IW managed to think this was a good idea. Ask anyone and they'll say no. I just don't get it. ATM, competitive gaming, modding, all custom games and tactical gameplay is DEAD.

Good job IW, at least someone doesn't care...
Old October 20, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

This sucks! Hate them. I COD clan member too, we looked forward to set up our servers with new game.

I signed #113101
HTPC Build: Final Video

Last edited by Dazmode; October 20, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old October 20, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
This sucks! Hate them. I COD clan member too, we looked forward to set up our servers with new game.

I signed #113101
I was #51
Old October 20, 2009, 06:49 PM
Allstar

@Cowboy Well you might wanna do more research into dedicated servers and who runs them. Pc gamers aren't pissed that IW isn't offering up dedicated servers but the fact nobody can now own or operate a dedicated server. This also gets rid of any mods or customizations that are created by gamers. That said ..do you think CS would be still around without them ...don't think so. Also if you want to set up private matches you will be solely reliant on the host(not a dedicated server but average home users ) connection. With that the upload will be saturated pretty quickly and then everything just plain sucks. If you enjoy the way console gaming is set up well fine enjoy but PC multiplayer gamers like the user mods and maps and dedicated connections. This has all been left out of the game because IW decided we didn't need them. With console games you have to play with whatever they give you ...with PC people are always creating new ways ...game types/ maps/and mods. This is where console gaming can't compete. I just recently played COD 5 server that has FreezE Tag / V.I.P and Gun game types. This has extended the life of the game for me and others. What IW has done is say too bad we don't think you need it. Still all in all it's just a game and games are meant to be fun...a lot of PC gamers feel the fun has been stripped out or left out of this title so like any consumer I just won't buy it....end of story . Oh and as far as Clan's go ..a lot of them are just groups of people who like to game together just like people like to come here and chat about Tech and other stuff. Unfair advantage? Niinies? Hmmm...don't think it's the PC gamer that needs some growing up......
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old October 20, 2009, 06:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

even if they do reverse this, I will not be buying it. Its the principle that they said they were intending to. And that intent is bad enough