Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2009, 10:54 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Default Cryengine 3 dev platform released.

IGN: Crytek Releases CryENGINE 3
Old October 14, 2009, 04:36 PM
Allstar

Me wants videos.

Good article, thanks for letting us know. Can't wait for the "Can it run Crysis 2" chaos coming up.

Old October 14, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sounds great on paper. I have to wonder how "real-time" it all really is. Not that i think it can't be done but there's a reason why some developers prefer building for one platform vs another. they all have their quirks, highs and lows etc... What are you sacrificing using an all-in-one like CryEngine 3? It will be nice to hear some real feedback from real devs in the coming months.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 14, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It doesn't say anything about DX11 FAIL. Unless the PC gets an exclusive DX 11 version.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 14, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here you go

CryEngine 3 Video Game, GDC 09: Demonstration HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

YouTube - CryEngine 3 Beauty Speed Interaction Trailer [HD]
Old October 15, 2009, 05:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This is a HUGE step back IMO. The CryEngine 2 is one of the best rendering engines around, bar none. All they needed to to was make it more efficient.
Old October 15, 2009, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This is a HUGE step back IMO. The CryEngine 2 is one of the best rendering engines around, bar none. All they needed to to was make it more efficient.
It looks to me like the image quality varied from scene to scene (from above and below cryengine2) so maybe they tried to decrease overall quality a little bit, in favour of much more performance benefit.

Old October 15, 2009, 08:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Perhaps they were showing a bit from PC/Xbox/PS3? When they showed the Sandbox porting tool you could see the differences. I still think that the graphics are freaking amazing though. I don't think anyone else has a graphics rendering engine like the Crytek guys do.

But yeah all they needed to do was make it more efficient. Which is why some people still ask, "but can it play Crysis?"
Old October 15, 2009, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes they had the consoles in both of those videos as well. Look at the bottom corner of the screen. It looks amazing on the consoles though! I'm thinking that's partially why they made version 3, was to have a console dev platform. Crysis 2 is going to be on the consoles after all... Hopefully we see some good games get developed using this engine for the consoles (as well as pc). The character animation looks sick!

Actually, the first video I posted is ONLY the consoles and the second has some PC shots, when it says "Next Gen Ready" on the bottom. It looks like it is just an improved cryengine 2 for PC but it is mainly aimed at consoles, or so it seems. I found this video comparing Cryengine2 vs Cryengine3(consoles) on youtube so you can see the difference. Looks like medium settings on the consoles. Here I found the link to the sandbox video whoever mentioned that above Also found this tech demo with Eyefinity in action!

CryEngine 3 Tech Demo Movies - Voodoo Extreme

Planet Crysis - News, Screenshots, Previews, Reviews, Guides

Last edited by headsh0t; October 15, 2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old October 15, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I actually see this PC/Console syncing mode the perfect way to create games. As long as the sandbox knows the limitations of the hardware, they can develop the best graphics for PC, and provide the necessary framerates for the consoles. This process is much better compared to the "make for console, then port to PC" way of thinking.

This is definitely a step forward. If more devs can operate like this, we will no longer see the death of PC gaming.