Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2009, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Direct2Drive & Steam

After trying to read "reviews" about these sites I would like to ask HWC's for their impressions about these 2 companies.

What are the Pro and Cons? I would like to get both as they have great prices on older games.

I'd mostly like to know of the negatives, but obviously the pros would be good as well.

I've decided to do this, I would just like last minute reasons why I shouldn't..... maybe there is something I missed

Thanks!
Old October 8, 2009, 07:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I ordered Pirates & the X-Com series from D2D a few weeks back and don't have any complaints at all.
Download speed was fast, games work well.

They still have tons of great games on for just $5 too!

Never used Steam other than some demo's so can't comment too much on them.
Old October 8, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I started using Steam in July or August. I was not sure like you, but gave it a try. Up to now, I have no complaint and I find the service to be quite pleasant.

Haven't noticed any negative points.
I like that the game is always available and can easily be installed on any computer without any trouble.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've never used Steam, but have probably DL'ed 20 games from D2D in the last year and a half. No issues at all. I wanted a refund once because my wife had pre-ordered the same game for me elsewhere, and no problems, my CC was credited back the same day.

imho D2D rocks!

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old October 8, 2009, 08:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've used steam for a game or two and really no complaints as its relatively fast and their payment site is secure
Old October 8, 2009, 08:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I used D2D to buy/download AION and I was happy.

The only issue I have with this is downloading 4 gigs at a time for games+other bandwith usage... eats it up quickly...
Old October 8, 2009, 10:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've used both. D2D's servers are faster for downloading. Steam automatically updates your games for you, and has friend and user group capabilities. If I was buying a single-player game, I'd get it from D2D. Multiplayer, I'd use Steam. Assuming the pricing is equal.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Steam is the shizzle for digital distribution. You can download and play your games from any computer, have multiple installs on multiple machines simultaneously, but you just can't be logged into two machines with the same account at the same time (no biggie). For most games you do not have to be online to play them (after install), unless that particular game actually requires an internet connection (like a MP game or lame DRM on some titles, that has nothing to do with Steam). You can also back-up all your games offline if you want to. But I don't see Steam going anywhere anytime soon. And lastly... Steam often has awesome deals!

D2D I only just used for the first time this week. I actually haven't even installed the games I bought, yet. So far the purchase and download went without a hitch. The DRM of D2D games can vary from title to title from what I have read. And some people have had problems with install limits and such. But if you go through the Steam forums... you will read many problems from users there as well. You just can't tell if it's always issues with the software, or just the user (i.e an ID10T or Pebkac error lol).

IF you wanted to pick just one digital distributor to use, I would go with Steam. :)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 8, 2009, 10:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I've never tried D2D but used Steam for years and always loved it only ever had issues where I had to delete a blob file a few times for CS:S to work properly

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old October 8, 2009, 11:08 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I like;

1st - Steam - Good unlimited Downloads, usually prompt patching, solid track record. On the downside I beleive all games need to be installed in the same directory.
2nd - Impulse - Good unlimited Downloads, usually prompt patching. games can be installed on any Drive/directory.
3rd - D2D - Good unlimited Downloads, games can be installed on any Drive/directory, on the downside I find patching isn't very good overall

Another Guy From Canada

Tags
direct2drive d2d steam