Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Direct2Drive & Steam (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/24101-direct2drive-steam.html)

Perineum October 8, 2009 07:14 AM

Direct2Drive & Steam

After trying to read "reviews" about these sites I would like to ask HWC's for their impressions about these 2 companies.

What are the Pro and Cons? I would like to get both as they have great prices on older games.

I'd mostly like to know of the negatives, but obviously the pros would be good as well.

I've decided to do this, I would just like last minute reasons why I shouldn't..... maybe there is something I missed :thumb:

Thanks!

GregH October 8, 2009 07:35 AM

I ordered Pirates & the X-Com series from D2D a few weeks back and don't have any complaints at all.
Download speed was fast, games work well.

They still have tons of great games on for just $5 too!

Never used Steam other than some demo's so can't comment too much on them.

Kilauea October 8, 2009 07:38 AM

I started using Steam in July or August. I was not sure like you, but gave it a try. Up to now, I have no complaint and I find the service to be quite pleasant.

Haven't noticed any negative points.
I like that the game is always available and can easily be installed on any computer without any trouble.

misterlarry October 8, 2009 08:25 AM

I've never used Steam, but have probably DL'ed 20 games from D2D in the last year and a half. No issues at all. I wanted a refund once because my wife had pre-ordered the same game for me elsewhere, and no problems, my CC was credited back the same day.

imho D2D rocks!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Arinoth October 8, 2009 08:37 AM

I've used steam for a game or two and really no complaints as its relatively fast and their payment site is secure

Skyllz October 8, 2009 08:48 AM

I used D2D to buy/download AION and I was happy.

The only issue I have with this is downloading 4 gigs at a time for games+other bandwith usage... eats it up quickly...

SugarJ October 8, 2009 10:20 AM

I've used both. D2D's servers are faster for downloading. Steam automatically updates your games for you, and has friend and user group capabilities. If I was buying a single-player game, I'd get it from D2D. Multiplayer, I'd use Steam. Assuming the pricing is equal.

Thund3rball October 8, 2009 10:21 AM

Steam is the shizzle for digital distribution. You can download and play your games from any computer, have multiple installs on multiple machines simultaneously, but you just can't be logged into two machines with the same account at the same time (no biggie). For most games you do not have to be online to play them (after install), unless that particular game actually requires an internet connection (like a MP game or lame DRM on some titles, that has nothing to do with Steam). You can also back-up all your games offline if you want to. But I don't see Steam going anywhere anytime soon. And lastly... Steam often has awesome deals!

D2D I only just used for the first time this week. I actually haven't even installed the games I bought, yet. So far the purchase and download went without a hitch. The DRM of D2D games can vary from title to title from what I have read. And some people have had problems with install limits and such. But if you go through the Steam forums... you will read many problems from users there as well. You just can't tell if it's always issues with the software, or just the user (i.e an ID10T or Pebkac error lol).

IF you wanted to pick just one digital distributor to use, I would go with Steam. :)

trayton October 8, 2009 10:48 AM

I've never tried D2D but used Steam for years and always loved it only ever had issues where I had to delete a blob file a few times for CS:S to work properly

Snarl October 8, 2009 11:08 AM

I like;

1st - Steam - Good unlimited Downloads, usually prompt patching, solid track record. On the downside I beleive all games need to be installed in the same directory.
2nd - Impulse - Good unlimited Downloads, usually prompt patching. games can be installed on any Drive/directory.
3rd - D2D - Good unlimited Downloads, games can be installed on any Drive/directory, on the downside I find patching isn't very good overall