Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2009, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've never got involved with Steam personally, as I have lots of friends that use it and hate it. However, I've used D2D for MANY games, and they're awesome! Good prices, no worrying about losing a CD key, great download speed. I'd highly recommend them to anyone.
Old October 8, 2009, 11:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarl View Post
I like;

1st - Steam - Good unlimited Downloads, usually prompt patching, solid track record. On the downside I beleive all games need to be installed in the same directory.
2nd - Impulse - Good unlimited Downloads, usually prompt patching. games can be installed on any Drive/directory.
3rd - D2D - Good unlimited Downloads, games can be installed on any Drive/directory, on the downside I find patching isn't very good overall
Steam - yes, all the games you download install into the Steam directory, but you can install Steam anywhere you like. Mine is on another partition. Don't want a game on your HD, right click on it in your My Games list, choose delete local content. 3 seconds and it's gone.

D2D - The patching downright sucks, and can be confusing. I downloaded Frontline: Fuel of War this week, ended up going to the developer's site to get the patches from 1.0 to 1.3. They have a note on the download page that a patch is available, but the page you get pointed to lists every patch they have for every game in reverse order (newest first). But I will say their $5 sale is worth every penny.
Old October 8, 2009, 11:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Steam - yes, all the games you download install into the Steam directory, but you can install Steam anywhere you like. Mine is on another partition. Don't want a game on your HD, right click on it in your My Games list, choose delete local content. 3 seconds and it's gone.

D2D - The patching downright sucks, and can be confusing. I downloaded Frontline: Fuel of War this week, ended up going to the developer's site to get the patches from 1.0 to 1.3. They have a note on the download page that a patch is available, but the page you get pointed to lists every patch they have for every game in reverse order (newest first). But I will say their $5 sale is worth every penny.
Well, if you're on Windows Vista or 7, you can use symbolic directory links to move your game folders wherever you like. This works for most non-Valve games (pretty much any game whose data is stored in the steamapps/common directory). For example, I have my Steam folder on my caviar black, and I wanted to move UT2k4 to the SSD, so I just quit Steam, dragged the folder to the SSD, then fired up the ol' cmd.exe, navigated to the Steam folder, and then ran mklink /D with the appropriate parameters. It'd be a pain to do it for every game, but it is indeed possible to relocate (most) individual games in your Steam folder.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old October 8, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Now, is it possible to get these guys to pricematch?

Kinda hard to ignore a $5 game when the other guy has it for $35....

If not I guess I'm going to be stuck using at least 2 to get what I want....
Old October 8, 2009, 04:23 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I've used Steam for years and I started using D2D as well. No problems with either one, and I have quite a few games on both services (~50 on Steam, 5 or 6 on D2D).
Old October 8, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have used all 4 of the popular ones.

My rankings would be..

Steam
Impulse
D2D
EA download manager

Steam is awesome and by far the best. I mean BY FAR the best and is better than retail for me because of the added features. In ANY steam game you can chat with your freinds that have steam. You can surf the web with out minimizing the game. Easy voice chatting,...... etc

Impulse is great too but you lack a lot of the features of steam.

D2D is o.k. but does not auto update your games.

EA download manager only offers EA's games and does not allow you to redownload any game for life like the 3 competitors above.

I have bought 159 Steam games, 5 impulse game, 2 D2D games, and 2 EA download manager games. I love steam......

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 9, 2009, 06:57 AM
MVP

+1 for steam here, I like that I can move the steam directory and even run it after multiple OS formats without taking much effort at all.
Also I will say for old games GoG is nice, going through their game list is like reliving my childhood, except you dont have to worry about any DRM this time around
Old October 9, 2009, 09:55 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agafaba View Post
Also I will say for old games GoG is nice, going through their game list is like reliving my childhood, except you dont have to worry about any DRM this time around
GOG has one of the slickest websites I've ever seen. Their service really is great. It's a shame they only deal with older games.
Old October 9, 2009, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
GOG has one of the slickest websites I've ever seen. Their service really is great. It's a shame they only deal with older games.
But if they didn't only deal in old games then it wouldn't be GOG, it would just be GG!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old October 9, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm having problems with D2D's download manager.
I click to download the game... the manager starts to install... then it freezes.
I've waited as long as 20mins and still nothing.
Is there something I'm missing here?

Tags
direct2drive d2d steam