Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old July 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
BrianHanna's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,049
Default

This is most definately one of the better games i have played in the past few years.

It's so good, it looks amazing, plays amazing (kind of repetitive at times though), story is nice, monsters are cool.

And omg, it runs so damn well.
__________________
Asus p6x58d-e / i7 930 @ 4ghz / G.skill 1600mhz 2x3gb 9-9-9-24 / Corsair TX750 / XFX HD 6850 1GB x2 @ 870/1070/ Coolermaster HAF 932 / Noctua nh12-up / Western Digital 500g Caviar black /Western Digital 1TB Caviar black 60Gb/ Seagate 7200.11 500g / OCZ Vertex 3 SSD / Samsung 2253BW / G5 / MX518 /

Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old July 23, 2011, 05:37 PM
Sagath's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Petawawa, ON
Posts: 2,479

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHanna View Post
This is most definately one of the better games i have played in the past few years.

It's so good, it looks amazing, plays amazing (kind of repetitive at times though), story is nice, monsters are cool.

And omg, it runs so damn well.
I agree with all these points, save the repetitive part. Any RPG can seem repetitive. Run here, return that there, go over there slay that...

The fact is the boss fights in this game are hard and the game is challenging. Not a cake walk, you have to play, play smart and play well to defeat things.

I enjoyed witcher 1 and thought it was very good, however this sequel makes it look terrible in comparison.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
AKG shot the hamsters, and then Perineum drove his Mustang with summer tires into the server.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)  
Old July 24, 2011, 07:56 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,054

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I agree with all these points, save the repetitive part. Any RPG can seem repetitive. Run here, return that there, go over there slay that...

The fact is the boss fights in this game are hard and the game is challenging. Not a cake walk, you have to play, play smart and play well to defeat things.

I enjoyed witcher 1 and thought it was very good, however this sequel makes it look terrible in comparison.
That was one thing I noticed quite quickly, you have to play a lot smarter than in the first Witcher.

Oh and as BrianHanna said, this game is just amazing looking.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2011, 03:31 AM
On2wheels's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ontario
Posts: 951
Default

Yeah it does look and run decent, but I find it strange how they packaged the main game file into one huge archive, about 9gb. I was defragging the other day and this game was the only file that needed fixing after the last patch. Must be why Steam users were forced to download the whole game after the first 2 patches.
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2011, 04:29 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,579

My System Specs

Default

Funny how the launcher snagged the 1.2 patch for me however never bothered to get me the 1.3 patch after so I had the fun steep learning curve on Hard with the prologue, as well as the slight troubles with either sli or nvidia surround (open up the map and once you closed it there would be an odd line of pixels down along the right side and some background would flixer).

Later in the night, well before bed actually, I saw that I did not have the 1.3 patch, downloaded it and it fixed all the sli/nvidia surround issues I previously had.

Now I need to get used to not being able to drink potions in battle (gotta plan ahead) and on Hard (or insane) you can only "buy" skill points if you are out of combat and can meditate. Getting over this steep learning curve I'm learning to rather enjoy the game (even more then the first), though I guess I need to get used to the fact they changed the combat system, loot and dialogue system. A very big plus to me is the fact they are one of the few games in nvidia surround/ati eyefinity that actually keep all the UI stuff in the middle screen leaving the side two just as peripheral view, unlike most games that essentially stretch things out and all your important gaming info is buried in the far left and right corners of the left and right monitors.

Anyone able to explain to me how to arm wrestle, the tutorial was rather quick, useless and I barely had enough time to read it.
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2011, 06:12 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

You move your mouse from left to right, always keeping the ball inside the floating bar. If the ball goes out of the bar the opponent starts to win. If the ball stays inside the bar the bar will move to the right. All the way right and you've won.
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2011, 06:18 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,579

My System Specs

Default

Ah thanks, their instructions weren't exactly that informative at all. What the hell does the z button do, it seems to do a little orange light/flash thingy over me but I don't notice anything happening beyond that
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2011, 07:24 AM
Sagath's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Petawawa, ON
Posts: 2,479

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Ah thanks, their instructions weren't exactly that informative at all. What the hell does the z button do, it seems to do a little orange light/flash thingy over me but I don't notice anything happening beyond that
The Z button activates your wolf amulet. Very handy as it highlights any lootable objects in a nearby area. It also reveils hidden shrines and activates them to 'buff' you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
AKG shot the hamsters, and then Perineum drove his Mustang with summer tires into the server.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old July 27, 2011, 07:30 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,579

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
The Z button activates your wolf amulet. Very handy as it highlights any lootable objects in a nearby area. It also reveils hidden shrines and activates them to 'buff' you.
Any other unique keys/changes I should know that they made without letting me know?
Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)  
Old July 30, 2011, 10:19 AM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,926

My System Specs

Default

It seems they have fixed some of the control mapping w/ one of the recent patches. So I've decided to give the game another try after being really dissatisfied at the time of release. Definitely enjoying it so far. And it looks fantastic @ 2560x1440 maxed out (minus Uber of course).

A couple of

http://i.imgur.com/mFh3D.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BKwK4.jpg
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Witcher -- Enhanced Edition Squeetard Gaming 29 March 23, 2009 05:15 PM
Kings Chilly Off Topic 5 March 17, 2009 04:33 PM
Xigmatek“s Achilles S1284 Vs. Thermalright Kings Nosferatu Member Reviews 12 June 26, 2008 03:37 AM