Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2011, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

for those left handed people out there, this thread on the steam forums should help somewhat Key Binding Problems... - Steam Users' Forums

but as for the game, I am enjoying it, however I am ashamed to admit that I had to lower my difficulty from normal to easy until I get a better grasp on combat
Old May 19, 2011, 02:50 PM

My System Specs

I am rather disappointed to the changes I've seen so far. No isometric camera, which SUCKS. The near non-existent 'tutorial' at the beginning is useless. Combat against multiple enemies is damn near impossible. What, no pinnable hot keys? Can't add potions to your 'pocket'. So I am forced to open up my inventory. Wait, the inventory key isn't even remappable. So I have to move my hand away from WASD in order to open up inventory and drink a potion. No crossfire support yet, so lower detail, so game looks pretty poor. There honestly is not much I like about the game so far. Most definitely a huge step down from TW1, which is my favourite RPG of the last decade.

EDIT: Even worse, it seems you need to meditate to drink a potion? WTF!!!
Old May 19, 2011, 02:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Patch coming next week, should help with some of the above re-mapping issues.

The Witcher 2 patch due next week - Shacknews.com
Old May 19, 2011, 04:21 PM
MVP
F@H

Not too interested anymore. I uninstalled it. Will check back in a couple of months maybe. Loss of camera is a pain. Those QTE or Quick Time things are a pain. I've never understood why so many game developers force you into mechanics showing you what key or button to press. It adds nothing to the game for me. I'd just as soon see a cut scene and move on to where I can actually participate freely in the game.

The fact that the game is now set up for a XBox controller, no keybinding on release, camera loss, etc. is a step backwards. Seems like they are ready to migrate and dumb it down for the consoles somewhat reminiscent of Dragon Age 2.

They win. They got my money.
Old May 19, 2011, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

yeah, my main gripe is probably the potion drinking, I dont quite see how to get them to work in combat. Combat isnt bad its just incredibly hard against multiple opponents. The thing for me now is easys too easy, hards too hard.

The only QTE I've found is actually for boxing and isnt handled too badly.

Ill be withholding judgment over the game until I get a bit further through it.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:31 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Eff this game and it's stupid effing combat. Made me so mad the other night I had to read for 2 hours before I fell asleep. Thought I'd give it another crack tonight, only to discover that the stealth gameplay is even more irritating than the combat. Time to uninstall it before I break something.

Kiss my ass devs.
Old May 19, 2011, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow I really don't get what people are having issues with.

The one thing with the potions is something that I half agree with. Lets face it if you are in the middle of a intense fight would you really have time to drink a potion? And yes fighting with multiple opponents is harder than before but hey no one said it would be easy. As for the comment about the stealth, I think it is pretty good and really relies on putting out lights and staying out of sight, so no hiding in plain sight with a stealth boy.

But the one thing I have confidence with is that the devs will deal with peoples problems as best they can. The first witcher had quite a few bugs and really only came into being a really great game with version 1.5.

Old May 19, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

I for one have actually liked the stealth portion, thought it was well done, stay quiet, dont kick the bucket, put out lights, and knock out guards quickly. Takes a bit of practice but its good I think.
Old May 26, 2011, 09:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Key remapping= IN the launcher under video settings
Cutscenes= Skippable by pressing right mouse button twice

Frankly i really enjoyed the game, aside from teh abhorrent crossfire support (which is really the fault of AMD as much as it is CD Projekt Red's) I couldn't fault the game. The combats engaging, although at the beginning it is a bit tedious running into group fights, you constantly have to switch between opponents and stay evasive given your slow vigour regeneration. After you level a few stats though (block from all directions, less vigour used to block, more vigour slots, multiple enemies hit with one blow) the combat becomes quite easy and relaxing. My only complaint actually is that the game had to end :(
Old May 26, 2011, 09:27 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I've put the game away until they fix all this crap.