Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old September 26, 2009, 10:03 PM
muse108dc's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver North
Posts: 1,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Yeah sorry my english is not perfect. I meant facial expression yes. It just find it funny when someone says "oh i'm so sad" or "god i'm angry" and there is absolutely no expression in cutscenes. I'm not asking for realistic expressions, just a little effort, like Bethesda's games.
your english is not flawed, I just use sarcasm far too much
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old April 18, 2011, 01:24 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!!

The latest on this fairly soon to be released PC exclusive title.

The Witcher
Quote:
As a company and also as gamers ourselves, we’d like to stress that we are against any kind of copy
protection that might affect the game experience or limit the usability of legally purchased copies.
For this reason, we decided to implement a custom version that is the lightest and least intrusive
possible. During installation, it will be necessary to connect to the Internet one time – but NEVER
while playing. Similarly, the only time you need to have the disks in your drive is during installation.

While we are aware of some players’ associations with the SecuROM technology, the server
infrastructure of its provider, SONY, gives us the highest level of confidence that registering legal
copies will be problem-free. Every legal copy can be played on up to five machines at a time. What’s
more, registrations can be revoked at any time; in effect, The Witcher 2 can be installed on unlimited
number of machines. It will also be possible to make backups. Furthermore, we will make every
effort to cooperate with our publishing and distribution partners to remove the DRM in a postrelease
update.
And yes I mentioned the same thing in this thread, Suggest-A-Game: Action-RPG?
I just wanted to make sure people saw it.

Oh and this is why I have been telling everyone that you should by quads or higher,
Quote:
The REDengine is built so players with two-core processors and min-spec machines will receive a
fully enjoyable experience. Even more importantly, anyone with the recommended 4 cores and/or
hyperthreading will see a visible improvement. 6 cores? 8? Cool! The Witcher 2 will make good use
of them all. The game will also scale exceptionally well. It has not only low, medium and high
graphical settings, but also an ultra detail level… and even an “uber sampling” mode.
See this is what can be done when designing and building the game from the ground up for PC. Now my only issue is whether I get it from GOG or steam, or get the collectors edition?
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old April 18, 2011, 01:46 PM
Sagath's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Petawawa, ON
Posts: 2,506

My System Specs

Default

I'm very excited about this game. I thought the first Witcher was incredible, unfortunately it was also very bug-ridden and not well managed post release...Heres hoping 2 outshines 1.

Also FYI: Steams version is 44.99 USD, "Premium Edition". I'll be snagging it on steam, mainly because I'm lazy and steam rocks ;)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
AKG shot the hamsters, and then Perineum drove his Mustang with summer tires into the server.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old April 19, 2011, 06:15 AM
On2wheels's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ontario
Posts: 966
Default

I was looking at this as well, put it on my steam wishlist as I'm currently working through witcher 1, grabbed it on the d2d sale a few weeks ago, great game so far, lots of man-whoring.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old April 19, 2011, 06:27 AM
LaughingCrow's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post

See this is what can be done when designing and building the game from the ground up for PC. Now my only issue is whether I get it from GOG or steam, or get the collectors edition?
The pre-order digital version, available directly from GoG has a lot of added content and it will be DRM free. The versions published by Atari will likely have DRM.

GOG.com
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old April 19, 2011, 06:49 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,662
Default

FYI, I believe the SecureROM will only be included in the retail version. Versions on Steam and other download services should be SecureROM-free.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old April 19, 2011, 08:02 AM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default

All versions besides GOG will have the SecureROM DRM. The reason they don't have it on GOG is because they are putting the DRM on to attempt to stop an early pirated release and the offices for GOG are in the same building since they are the same company.

It is explained a bit in the CDP Spring Conference Video you can find here: (Video also has some gameplay in it)
The Witcher

That said it is an extremely open DRM and should not be intrusive to anyone's gameplay.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old April 19, 2011, 08:05 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,662
Default

I like the "we will work to remove the DRM in a future update". That right there is great!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old April 19, 2011, 09:01 AM
On2wheels's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ontario
Posts: 966
Default

I think the DRM is removed from witcher1 in the last patch, 1.5
sorry, this is a w2 thread.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old April 19, 2011, 09:58 AM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
I think the DRM is removed from witcher1 in the last patch, 1.5
sorry, this is a w2 thread.
Yes this is a Witcher 2 thread, but yes you are correct they did remove all DRM from the first one with the 1.5 patch.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Witcher -- Enhanced Edition Squeetard Gaming 29 March 23, 2009 05:15 PM
Kings Chilly Off Topic 5 March 17, 2009 04:33 PM
Xigmatek´s Achilles S1284 Vs. Thermalright Kings Nosferatu Member Reviews 12 June 26, 2008 03:37 AM