Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2009, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default The Old Republic @ PAX '09

Bioware and Lucas Arts have decided to do some exclusive Q&A's and reveals at PAX this weekend. For anyone that's interested, here's a link to the Q&A today as taped earlier:

Day 2 Developer Q&A Live over UStream | Darth Hater - An Old Republic Community

Also, the same site is currently uploading video to youtube filmed at the exclusive gameplay demo shown today. They will also be covering the second portion of the demo tomorrow.
Old September 5, 2009, 07:35 PM
Top Prospect

great post, can't wait for this game to come out!
Old September 5, 2009, 07:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Me too, cant wait to see how it'll all come together. Lots of great ideas and concepts but once you send thousands of people down the way... it acts "differently" sometimes :D
Old September 5, 2009, 11:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

They also announced if you sign up for their newsletter you will be sent 25% off for KOTOR which is now on steam and D2D
Old September 6, 2009, 10:23 AM
Top Prospect

does anyone have a link to the new gameplay vids? i found this

YouTube - Coruscant PAX Trailer - SWTOR - Darth Hater

Last edited by Sandro_Bit; September 6, 2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old September 6, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

That's the only 'new' gameplay vid as of yet. So far the PaX show's been rather dissapointing for it's reveals. They've only revealed stuff we either already knew, or could have assumed on our own...
Old September 6, 2009, 02:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm willing to wager SWOtOR is going to be huge disappointment to a lot of Star Wars & MMO fans.
  • Cartoony graphics
  • WoW-esque gameplay
  • Where's the epic space battles?
  • Limited character races/classes according to preliminary preview notes
I am following the development of this title but I just don't think it's going to win me over. Currently Star Trek Online looks to be winning the next space mmo battle, imo.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old September 6, 2009, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal2Noise View Post
I'm willing to wager SWOtOR is going to be huge disappointment to a lot of Star Wars & MMO fans.
  • Cartoony graphics
  • WoW-esque gameplay
  • Where's the epic space battles?
  • Limited character races/classes according to preliminary preview notes
I am following the development of this title but I just don't think it's going to win me over. Currently Star Trek Online looks to be winning the next space mmo battle, imo.
The 'cartoony' graphics are actually intended to look like that. In several interviews, the developers state they want the environment to be very comicbook-esque. This way they can create a semi-realistic environment, while still keeping a flexible creative license.
And remember, one of the reasons WoW is so successful is because the software is not extremely demanding. Most of the games that went with the 'ultra-realistic' look have failed simply due to the vast majority of computers not able to play the games smoothly. (Think EQ2 and Vanguard)

'Epic space battles'... are you talking about large raids? If so, they have assured people they will have this kind of content. Or are you talking about actual 'in-space' combat? If so, they've already said they want to put this in the game, but it won't be at release as they already have so much content to work on already.

Limited race/class? Not sure how you could say this. They're releasing with 8 classes and multiple races (although no announcement on how many). Not to mention, each class will have sub-classes/paths to choose from. Meaning not every 'jedi' will be the same. Some will concentrate on tanking, some dps and some more force powers for heals, ranged damage or various support abilities. Not to mention, no matter what side you play for (republic/empire) your character will vary vastly depending on how 'light side' or 'dark side' you are. Not sure how much choice you're looking for on the release of an mmo... but this ranks up as equal or above most releases.

Really... at the end of the day, there's no way to tell until they release more info. They're trickling details out painfully slow, which really sucks. But it's way too early to say it's going to 'fail'. Although, if you follow gaming history at all, you have to realise this game will get a good start based off two things alone: 'Star Wars' and 'Bioware'. So if the game is even the slightest bit enjoyable, it'll make good money and have a decent player base.

*Edit* Oh yeah... did I mention 'fully voiced'?