Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2009, 12:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default No Need For Upgrades Anymore, Folks.

OnLive Beta Now Streaming Spectacular Games to Crappy PCs/Macs - OnLive beta - Gizmodo
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old September 3, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There will be bandwidth problems :)

-Plato
Old September 3, 2009, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Curious to hear what people say about the beta tough. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know flat out the issues with hops, lag and bandwidth caps. So how does onlive deal with this stuff and how well does it deliver? We'll see I guess.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 3, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Curious to hear what people say about the beta tough. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know flat out the issues with hops, lag and bandwidth caps. So how does onlive deal with this stuff and how well does it deliver? We'll see I guess.
Well if you hear anything about colour, it will be spelled wrong. Gota be in the states to enjoy the beta... ******* thing.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old September 3, 2009, 02:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
There will be bandwidth problems :)
Yep, unless bandwidth caps are altered and speeds increased they may cause quite a bit of problems, especially at 1080p
Old September 3, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
Well if you hear anything about colour, it will be spelled wrong. Gota be in the states to enjoy the beta... ******* thing.
Dude that was a given. There is no way they could beta that internationally. I have my doubts just hopping across the USA, never mind dealing with ISPs across the border or overseas too. O.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Yep, unless bandwidth caps are altered and speeds increased they may cause quite a bit of problems, especially at 1080p
Well they are not streaming 1080p only 720p.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 3, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

The kind of bandwidth and transfer speeds available to the average customer (even at a good time of day) is nothing compared to the raw bandwidth that gets moved around the motherboard constantly. Aside from the people with computers that don't even have a GPU expansion slot, I can't see this sort of service being much use to anyone who knows enough to buy a sub-$100 graphics card.
Old September 4, 2009, 05:58 AM
Rookie

Even if we give them the full benefit of the doubt and they somehow figured out how to eliminate lag completely, when you take into account both the R&D that went into the thing as well as how much nearby server architecture, upgraded hardware and bandwidth they will need on their end in every major region to guarantee this type of service (not to mention how the issue of ISPs having caps is probably going to get worse), I just can't see how they would be able to keep this thing profitable without charging so much that it nullifies the argument of "no need to upgrade your PC".

In all fairness, I also think we aren't the target audience, I think it's more for the casual audience. But again, I think that audience is going to balk at the hefty monthly fee that doesn't include the cost of buying games that you don't get any sort of local copy of.
Old September 4, 2009, 09:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

They don't have to invent much to address lag, just sell service to people with faster connections under recommended requirements, same way the video card specs work. Better card less lag on screen but people still play on lesser cards.

The image quality will be blurry and blocky, something that consoles currently provide. It just can't beat PC's native rez.
Old September 4, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

May as well buy a console, stream at 720p = fail.