Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2009, 06:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thumbs down Ghostbusters is making me go bald!

This game runs smooth as butter with all graphics settings cranked up, and it's fun as hell! But all the game does is crash constantly. I'm in the basement of the library and supposed to find a portal to get back to the "real world". But I can't play for anymore then 2 to 5 minutes before it crashes......... again, and again, and again...........

Does anyone know of a fix for this? Specs are in my sig.
Old August 27, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been seeing this a lot lately. There is *nothing* wrong with my machine. It works it's balls off 24/7 for folding. Some games play perfectly, like the new Wolfenstein. Not one crash....

.... but L4D and Fallout 3 randomly crash to desktop. Unfortunately this seems to be more and more common in the latest games and the developers never seem to give a shit. I'm not running anything crazy either, just run of the mill hardware you see in my sig. Forum posts on various sites show that I'm definately not a rarity.

Oh, and before anyone says anything.... if I game folding is off, so that's not it.
Old August 27, 2009, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Folding 24/7 does "eventually" take a toll on the components.
Old August 27, 2009, 07:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Fixes I've googled and tried so far are setting compatiblity mode to Windows XP SP2, and setting the processes priority level to low. On my own I tried the ATI's latest hotfix which didn't help, and I tried disabling CF.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Old August 27, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Folding 24/7 does "eventually" take a toll on the components.
Bah! I've got cpu's that ran distributed.net from when they were new and are still working just fine today.... it folds fine, too.

AMD XP1400!!!!POWARRRR!!!!

I don't fold with it cause I really don't think I need to eat 100W of power to get 6PPD, haha.

Basically the parts will run perfectly until they are at a point I couldn't care if they work or not....

... and I don't agree that folding would bother it in the first place. I would think that thermal expansion/contraction is harder on video cards than folding is in the first place....
Old August 27, 2009, 07:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Do you guys think you could make posts regarding the main topic?

Everytime I saw a new post here I was hoping for some helpful info and found SFA.
Old August 27, 2009, 07:39 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Try an earlier driver and / or mess around with the Catalyst AI....if you can find it inside that abortion ATI calls their new control panel...
Old August 27, 2009, 07:50 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

First: Any major updates or patches? If so apply them. Second: I also see Windows 7 in your sig....do you have Vista or XP on another partition so you can try it on another OS?
Fold for team #54196
Old August 27, 2009, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Last resort, but time for a OS reinstall?

I had a similar problem with Far Cry 2 - was lucky to go 20 minutes before it locked and crashed to desktop. Tried drivers, compatibility options, settings, nothing worked. Everything else worked absolutely fine. I finally gave up, but wound up doing an OS reinstall two weeks later. Tried Far Cry 2 again... absolutely flawless from that point on. I never did figure out exactly what was causing the problem originally, but I think crap just builds up on over time, and eventually something old screws with something new.
Old August 27, 2009, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Do you guys think you could make posts regarding the main topic?

Everytime I saw a new post here I was hoping for some helpful info and found SFA.

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I see what you mean... after googling for *any* sort of information I see that people complain that it's one of the most bug ridden games they've played.

I'm getting sick of hearing about this. They put no effort into the PC ports of games now.