Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2009, 08:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think the new expansion sounds awesome. I never wanted to level a char from 1-60 again, but now it's the first thing I want to do. And being able to fly there is awesome as well.
Old August 25, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WoW is just dumb IMHO. There are plenty of free online alternatives that manage the same thing. I forget how much it costs a month, but think about how much money you've forked over for just one game. It's a cash grab and Blizzard knows it. That's why Activision bought them. An expansion is just yet another cash grab. I quit one month after I bought because I couldn't afford, and I'm surprised how many people can actually afford it.
Old August 25, 2009, 08:36 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
WoW is just dumb IMHO. There are plenty of free online alternatives that manage the same thing.
+1
I cannot be bothered to pay repeatedly for something I've already paid for.
"Curse you Visa!"
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr
Old August 25, 2009, 10:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The signs of WoWs impending demise is clearly written on the wall. Continuing with WotLKs downward trend Blizzard has introduced patch 3.2 which gives the more casual players the ability to easymode gear up in Trial of the Champion where lvl 200 and 216 epics can be farmed to bring up the casual players up to the Uldaar raiding gear.

In blizzards failed attempt to make it possible for the casuals to raid and see more content they forgot that even the geared casuals have no hope in hell of getting into a pug 25man raid to see new content. It's the vicious circle of raiding end game content, you can't get into a raid unless your in a raiding guild and you can't get into pug raids unless you have the achievements. So ToC gear nubs are a dime a dozen and theres more OP Dks running around than you can shake a stick at.

I took up the challenge from my Nephew as he had a lvl 40 warrior and got bored of grinding levels so I said "np I'll power lvl your toon and get you ready to see some raiding content" It took me 6days, 11 hours playtime to get from 40 to 80 and equip his warrior with 2 sets of Epic lvl 216/219/226 gear for his Prot/Fury warrior. The astounding ease of this truly saddened me as I remember all the effort it took to gear up and see end game content back before BC and during the short period of time I spent in BC before I sold my account.

Blizzard's new changes seem to be heading in the same direction of appeasing the casual gamers and the game which once was challenging now seems to spoon feed nubs epics without actually having to prove thier talents in a raiding environment.

Anyways it seems all the work I put into my Nephew's Warrior was for not as he can't get into a raiding guild and pugging 25mans has been an Epic fail so he's decided to sell his toon to a account reseller site which has offered him about what he paid into the game so all in all it's not a terrible loss. It's not so much a loss for Blizzard as it is to the entire genre of MMOs. How many WoW players I've met and spoken to have said they'd never play another MMO again after WoW? To many to count. Blizzard has gone to the well far to many times and is shortly going to drain it dry and create a generation of Anti-MMORPG gamers.
Old August 25, 2009, 02:49 PM
Rookie

To the Nay sayers, a very old saying applies....

"You can't make everyone happy." Blizz knows that any time they change something it's going to rock the boat and people are going to preach doom and demise. Like the majority here have. Each change, expansion and nerf/buff is a calculated risk. Blizz is the Wal-Mart of the mmo world. They have the keys to the kingdom. The keys are marketing information. They know they're going to lose people. Probably a lot of people. The calculated risk are in how many they gain. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they're even taking in to account how many will sell their account to be repurchased and the subscriptions continued. C"mon, you have to know they're on to it. Enough of that...

A few of you mentioned free alternatives and dislike of the subscription fee. I have tried the private wow servers and a lot of free games. While I'm not interested in free private servers I would be interested in the free games you think rival WoW. I've played, Cabal Online, Archlord and all the Aria Games concepts as well as a few more. They're all fun for about 2 months then the total lack of content shows. That's only opinion. They're good games and I enjoyed my time there. It's just not for me.

Blizz and WoW will continue. Much the same way EQ has. Btw...I still like EQ as well. It's more of a time sink than I care for though. However, I really like the direction they've taken over the past couple years.

Anyway, my 2 cents shared. Like any change you can't fight...Embrace it...or move on.