Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2009, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm sorry, but prices that high for a game is ridiculous. Yes prices go up, but the market is so huge that they shouldn't have to raise the price. I think there's something wrong here. I remember when Diablo II came out in 2001 and it was $50. Prices haven't changed since then, other than some of the Hot Release titles that for for $60 to $70. But $70 a game? I personally think that's robbery, expecially since a lot of the new games aren't even replayable. It's really a cash grab. I will speak with my wallet and not buy these games until they either go on sale, find them on Kijiji or perhaps even pirate it. I HATE buying games that suck. I bought Microsoft Office 2007 because I think it's a great product. I'm one of those guys that tries before buys, but has to be the entire game. I am loyal to developers that make quality products. That goes for music producers too.
Old August 12, 2009, 07:26 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think game prices here are too bad.

Mind you, I'm coming from New Zealand where we were getting charged $120 a game 6-7 years ago. I hate to think what they charge now.
I've been trying to get a buddy from back home into the Rock Band thing, but to buy RB1 (RB2 isn't even out there yet!) it'll cost him upwards of $300 for the whole kit.
Old August 12, 2009, 07:57 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I am secretly hoping there is a "mute" option for the 50 Cent voice overs...
Wait, what?

*googles 50 cent overs*

Oh, didn't know about this. I'll find a way to "fix" this "bug" as soon as i get the game.

Old August 12, 2009, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

I always wondered why EA wasnt boycotted in a larger way after all their crap DRM. But looks like I wont be picking this up

And yes, was definably planning on boycotting all blizzard games anyways, that no-lan thing is ridiculous
Old August 12, 2009, 11:56 AM
MVP

Sorry to get off topic here agian,but i didnt want to start a new thread about how i got the game to work finaly.

Believe or not i read that sum folks said pluggin a mic fixed it 4 them ,so i found an old mic ,and walla startid the game and it worked ,both single player and multy player
Old August 12, 2009, 12:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightest View Post
Sorry to get off topic here agian,but i didnt want to start a new thread about how i got the game to work finaly.

Believe or not i read that sum folks said pluggin a mic fixed it 4 them ,so i found an old mic ,and walla startid the game and it worked ,both single player and multy player
I Just saw your issues now and was going to post trying that. It was a really annoying bug that came up with CoD4 for myself as well And to keep on topic, that price is ridiculous for Europeans. I don't think that close to $60 is too bad for us North Americans, I've paid more for other games in the past...but they better make it damn well worth every penny.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old August 12, 2009, 12:23 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I think this man's rage is justified, since when does 1 dollar equal 1 pound? I think he's just tired of being gouged by North American companies many of them don't convert their USD prices to the UK pound, Steam and Razer come to mind as companies that do that, well in both of those cases I think it' s the Eruo but the same thing happens in the UK.

Moves like this by software companies are the exact reasons why Piracy is on the rise and why those who pirate software feel justified in doing it. I've never owned or downloaded pirated software, partly because I didn't know how to burn ISO's and mount images, but even though I can do that these days I still don't because I can afford the games I want to play, but I may make a special exception for MW2.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old August 12, 2009, 02:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Prices go up. Why don't you boycott gas when it goes up 10% from Thursday to Fridy so that people who are going on road trips have to pay more?
In today's society, gasoline is a necessity for most people. Video games aren't. If you don't have gas then you're not going to work, or anywhere possibly. Depending on were you live. You wouldn't be able to go to the store to get food, etc, etc....... you get the point I'm sure.

I think I could pass up buying an Activision game without jeopardizing my families livelihood, and my paycheck.
Old August 12, 2009, 03:28 PM
Allstar

Yeah, you can't compare games to gasoline. Gasoline is a necessity without any reasonable alternatives. Other alternative fuels are often tied to gasoline prices. Public transportation costs are proportional to gasoline prices. Gasoline is unique in this regard.

Other necessities such as food has alternatives. Rice prices go up? Eat something else. You can't go without gasoline.

However, I doubt I can go without SC2 especially since all my friends will be playing it, so this boycott be damned. I don't so much care about game prices. I'm wiling to pay for a quality game. What I can't stand, though is being treated like a thief when I am not. Draconian DRM will make me boycott games, not the price. I'm not a LANer so the LAN thing doesn't bother me.

I think I paid $70+tax for WC3 the day it came out.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old August 12, 2009, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightest View Post
Wow funy u brought up activision

I found a game i bought but never opined,called call of duty 4 modern warefare,so i installed it yesterday my son did all the patches 4 me

And i wont play on my rig.I get the iw3mp.exe error vista 64 bit.

So i googled it and treid the fix they said, in my sound options and it still does'nt play.

Go 2 hardwere/sound/record tab/right click window/stero mix appear/then choose enabled/then o.k.

But stero mix does not appear 4 me:help:

Does any one have sumthin else i can try?
Got the same problem in Windows 7 64 bit. I have a mic installed too...

If you don't wanna buy the games, download it or borrow off a friend.