Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2009, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Batman: Arkham Asylum

So anyone try the demo out yet? I think there is some pretty fun stuff in here. Grappling around, isolating baddies and takin em out is on the exciting and challenging side in this.

The kb controls took a while to wrap my noggin around, if you like controllers you'll probably like like this. I don't think straight button mashing is going to get you too far. The game seems to like mixing your moves up, and so will you.

The cutscenes while Bats stands around and chats it up with a guard or Gordon are horrible. But at least you can skip 'em.

I think the gameplay has a lot of potential to keep you on your toes, just as long as it doesn't become a grind of the same old trick over and over. I am guessing it's going to be a shorter campaign with challenges and achievements trying to get you to come back for more. Probably worth ~$30 to me. We'll see when the real thing hits retail.

This demo is def worth a try

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old August 7, 2009, 05:30 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Download link for those interested: Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo Download - FileShack - Download PC Video game patches, videos, betas and trailers for PC, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii I'm installing right now, I'm pretty stoked.

EDIT: I'm finished the (disappointingly short) demo, but I like what I've got so far. The focus on stealth is nice but detective mode seems to precise for me. I understand game features have to make up for you lose out from the four senses aside from sight and sound but being able to know not only the enemy's movements but also precise structural features is a little hard to buy. Overall, looks like a game I'll buy and I'm glad they included Oracle and they character bio page has plenty more slots. Does this mean Babs will be in the next movie? I hope so. And I hope the game doesn't paint Bane as another stupid lunk who just relies on his strength, that would be a great disservice to a character whose cunning and intelligence is his real strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I see demos like movie trailers, their goal is to give a good impression of a product that may be horrible.
In response to Tim's comment, they actually seem to have disabled some features you can see in trailers like attacking with the grappling hook and there were some things I could see in detective mode but couldn't act on (fragile glass, weak structural points). If anything, the demo is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited by bovine.baron; August 7, 2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old August 7, 2009, 05:51 PM
Allstar

This may be the next game i am going to buy, but no thanks for a demo. I'll just wait for its full release and read many reviews (hopefully one on HWC) and watch gameplay videos. I see demos like movie trailers, their goal is to give a good impression of a product that may be horrible.

Old August 7, 2009, 10:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I see on the US Amazon and Newegg sites this game is $40 on PC, but everywhere else, it's $50. If this game launched here for $40, I'd buy it right away just to say thanks for decent zero day prices. Otherwise I am waiting for a deal.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old August 8, 2009, 07:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm moderately excited for this game. Downloading the demo right now. I love action games so hopefully I love this one.
Old August 8, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

for a 2 gig demo its a extremely short demo once again...
Old August 10, 2009, 04:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I thought the demo was pretty fun, and graphically it's well done also. It certainly was short though. This game is listed for $50 on steam. That's too much for ANY game IMO.
Old August 10, 2009, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

isnt every game 50$ for the most part, even L4D was 50 when it came out
Old August 10, 2009, 07:05 PM
Top Prospect

Every cent is worth it. Absolutely immense production value, incredibly polished gameplay, superb graphics and lots of new stuff to video games in general. KUDOS toe eidos. This is a mindblowing game it seems. Fighting alone simply can't get old - incredibly dynamic moves.
Old August 11, 2009, 05:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like I'll have to look into this game. Thanks for the tips folks!