Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2009, 09:00 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Relic = Epic Fail

I always find it interesting to track how developers can turn an amazing franchise into a spit-covered pile of dog feces through updates. It happened with the inclusion of GFWL in an update for Fallout 3 and it has once again happened for me with Relic's Company of Heroes games.

My gaming computer isn't plugged into the internet on a regular basis for the simple reason that I don't play many online games. I usually connect it to the internet every now and then to download an update or download a game from Steam so it has been a while since my CoH install was last updated.

Anyways, I finally decided to add my gaming computer to my network and lo and behold there were updates available for CoH. Previously, the update process was straightforward with the game downloading updates directly from Relic's servers in a linear fashion. Not anymore.

Relic has now instituted a download manager that uses TORRENTS of the updates. Seriously, are you kidding me? To add insult to injury, there is no information on which ports to forward which makes things even worse. And it gets better; even WITH the CD installed there is no way to play the game when you are connected to the internet until all of the patches are installed.

Imagine someone just bought the game; they suddenly have to download over a dozen torrents (through whatever throttling their ISP put in place) ranging in size from 12MB to 1GB+ before they can even play the damn single player game.

So, after letting this crap download and install, the gaming finally begins. You would think the updates would have have improved a number of aspects but the pathfinding is worse (tanks get stuck EVERYWHERE now) and the play balance is messed up to the point where German AT guns can nail you from literall half way across the battlefield. Nice.

It is more than obvious that developers are wrong; pirating isn't killing PC gaming. Game developers and their ass-backwards mentality are what's killing PC gaming.
Old July 29, 2009, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect

It's all of these ridiculous anti-pirating measures that they put into place that make people want to pirate games more. Why buy a game, when you can download free AND have no problems with it? I mean, look how bad SPORE bombed.

Old July 29, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Torrents lol. That is so lame. Sorry to hear the gameplay suffered though. I have similar experience with Red Alert 3. Feels like they totally whimped out the Soviets now. I can hardly keep any units alive anymore. :\

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old July 29, 2009, 11:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

I have this thing in the "Rants" section. Installed CoH-Opposing Fronts and before I could actually play the game, download and installation took at least 2 hours. And I have to login all the time too which annoys me since I don't play online.

Old July 29, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ya that's another big idiot move from Relic and now EA with C&C 4. How can you FORCE people to be online just to play SP? Absolutely most boneheaded decision I have seen when it comes to PC gaming.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old July 29, 2009, 11:56 AM

Is there any way to transfer an already-installed game onto Steam? If so, that would take care of a ton of my headaches with this crap.
Old July 29, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Is there any way to transfer an already-installed game onto Steam? If so, that would take care of a ton of my headaches with this crap.
No. You can launch your non-Steam games from Steam by creating a shortcut, but you cannot transfer it to your Steam account. There are a few titles that will allow you to enter your CD Key and download the game from Steam, but I am not sure CoH is one of them. It is a very limited number of titles that let you.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old July 29, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Damn, I have the game laying around and I want to install it soon. I guess I'll wait lol

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old July 29, 2009, 12:22 PM

DON'T WAIT!!! I can't emphasize that enough. The longer you wait, the larger the download will be when you update and instead of sitting there for 2 hours waiting for everything to DL you'll be waiting 3 hours.

Relic has stated they have no intention of getting rid of their idiotic Download Manager so we are pretty much stuck with it.
Old July 29, 2009, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ouch :S

Is it worth it? It seems like a good game, how is it?

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware