Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2009, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default C&C 4 - Requires Always-On Internet!?!

Well if you don't know already there's going to be a C&C 4. And if you know that you'll be surprised to hear that EA is going to make it so you have to be connected online to play the game, even in single player.

I don't have a big history with the C&C series but have enjoyed it in a couple of incarnations. As the ARS article I read says, RTS games are great for laptops, especially as time killers. I know I played through DoW and now RA3 on mine. Since there isn't always an internet connection around when you travel, I wonder how this is going to affect this great pairing of RTS & Laptop for traveling gamers, and C&C 4?

Is it stringent DRM or a "feature" for tracking stats and progression, as EA claims? Discuss! :)

Forced to connect: C&C 4 requires always-on Internet - Ars Technica

Edit: I will add some more to this of my own experience with EA's online abilities. The MP system for RA3 is pure crap. Getting to play matches with friends is often an exercise in frustration as the system won't connect one of us, or boot another one off before we can start the match, or boot one or all of us off after we finish a match. Sometimes getting everyone connected and ready to battle takes as long as 10 minutes. So I hope EA solves these connection issues with C&C 4 or else this will be a serious disaster. Especially just for a nice casual SP mission.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE

Last edited by Thund3rball; July 15, 2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old July 15, 2009, 01:54 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Three words for EA: kiss my a$$.

I don't want my damn single player mission stats logged. No way. Even with Steam you can play in offline mode.
Old July 15, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Three words for EA: kiss my ass.
Yup I own every C&C game so far but I wont be buying this one if that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 15, 2009, 01:57 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Now if only Blizzard will come out with SC2 in a timely manner then they will crush EA out of the RTS genre completely Thanks for making it easier EA!
Old July 15, 2009, 02:07 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

And companies wonder why PC games don't sell well. It's because of dick-headed moves like this one.
Old July 15, 2009, 02:09 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Maybe EA just made it for the consoles with their always on net connections, and ported it to the PC without any changes? ha ha... Stupid EA. Still... if theyre hiring I'd like a job that pays better tho... lol
Old July 15, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes it's definitely a bold and stupid move imo. Oh well I guess I can save my money until EA makes this a "free to play" like everything else they've been pumping out lately, lol.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old July 15, 2009, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
And companies wonder why PC games don't sell well. It's because of dick-headed moves like this one.
Exactly. What is wrong with collecting the data to a file and submitting it after you find a connection?? Retarded. I'm sure they will pull the 'piracy card' for this as well. Sigh.
Old July 15, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So here you are, home alone, and find out you can't troll HWC forums cause your internet is down.

Suddenly you realize that you now have time to play that C&C 4 game you purchased yesterday....
Old July 15, 2009, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

And once again they've crossed the line. Honestly, I'm even fairly easy-going about protection like SecuROM, providing it doesn't mess with anything else I do. But when they start demanding mandatory internet connections and limiting legitimate installs, my money goes elsewhere. I've never pirated a game in my life, but I sure as hell have no problem ignoring one entirely.