Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Calling all strategy gamers!

I found an amazing game that barely anyone plays. The game is called Men of War. It is the most in-depth, complex, realistic strategy game ever. In fact I believe it could be one of the best strategy game of all time.

Try out the demo. The first Russian mission is pretty simple so don't think the game is too easy. There is just so much you can do. I love that everything is destructible. EVERYTHING! They go into so much detail that even when you fire into a pond or lake fish will pop up. Or how you can directly control every single unit in the game in third person. You can also use any vehicle. If you destroy the crew of an enemy vehicle you can get in it and use it as your own. You have to manage each soldiers ammo. You have to manage your tanks fuel, ammo. The cover system is the most advanced ever. If there is an enemy tank behind a building you can shoot an AP round through the building and into the enemy tank. There are so many different types of vehicles/weapons.

If you see even like a tractor in a farmers field you can steal that to tow some artillery pieces. You can even drive trains although there isn't much purpose for that :p.

This game has by far the most realistic fog of war (If you set it as that). I could go on and on about why I love this game but a man has to sleep :p.

Basically this game is like Company of Heroes but on steroids and a 100x better.

There are even a bunch of mods so if ya want to play some modern combat you can too. There is even a star wars mod in the works. Basically saying go out and buy this.

There is even online up to 4 player co-op. There are so many different game modes online. This game just rocks and I will keep playing it for a long time.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 13, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

C'mon quit being so timid. Tell us what you really think. lol

Might have to check it out sometime. Thanks.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old July 13, 2009, 08:45 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

My ultimate strategy game is and will probably always remain the first Homeworld game.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

belgolas,

if it's CoH on steroids then i will download the demo for sure. I've been a nightly CoH player since the game came out, and have been owner of Tales of Valor, and Opposing fronts on their release dates. Thanks for the find
Old July 14, 2009, 08:06 AM
Allstar

Looks like blitzkrieg with updated graphics.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Strategy?
Old July 14, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've heard of it, but never tried it. I'll have to give it a looksy! Although I am hardly a strategy gamer, I just enjoy some RTS games. Trying to finish the Red Alert 3 campaign right now actually. Only RTS I actually finished the campaign and beat the AI on normal, in all 1v1 skirmishes, is Dawn of War. Agree with SKY too, Homeworld is daBomb. Just picked up HW2 (not Cataclysm) from Lima last week as well.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old July 15, 2009, 04:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh one thing I forgot to mention. Mind the horrible voice acting. The developers are from eastern Europe and English isn't their language. So it is pretty bad. I used to think this game wad bad because of the voice acting but after playing it more the gameplay is just amazing. I will warn you that if you don't like to micro manage units this game is not for you. There are some levels where you only get 4 units and must infiltrate an enemy base. Then there are missions where you have 100 units to manage.

I also agree that homeworld is an amazing game and had. Many hours put into that game.

I also was and still am a huge fan of COH but haven't played it since this game. The multiplayer is much better with Men of War.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 15, 2009, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm a HUGE rts buff, so I'm downloading the demo now to check it out. Although WiC and Red Alert 3 are gonna be tough to top right now. And let's not forget the champ; Tiberiun Sun
Old July 15, 2009, 06:43 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

If I had to rate some of my all-time strategy games it would go something like this:

10: Dawn of War (original, the sequel blows chunks)
9: Imperium Galactica II
8: Supreme Commander
7: Star Wars: Rebellion
6: Homeworld 2
5: Rome: Total War
4: Command and Conquer (original)
3: Ground Control
2: Company of Heroes (minus Tales of Valor)
1: Homeworld

Additionally, games like Sacrifice long with Black & White are pretty close to that list too.

For me Ground Control is a hidden classic.