Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2009, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There's one game I forgot about!

Dune 2000

One of the few games I played, and liked.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old July 16, 2009, 05:21 PM
MVP

Sounds pretty sweet, definitely going to have a look at it and try it out.
Old July 17, 2009, 05:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One favourite moments against one of my friends in Men of War was i had a Sherman tank and he had a king tiger tank. I gut the first shot off which destroyed his right tread so his tank couldn't move. He gets his shot off which peirces my hull. My 4 tank crew get out and I have 1 try to repaire my tank. Well he was still in view of my tank and blew it up killing the guy repairing it. So I had two guys run around the house on the left side and one man grab a stick of dynamite from my damaged tank and he went to the right behind some houses. He machineguned one of the guys going to the left. So I had the one guy on the left go around so I could get his tank in my line of site so I could see what he was doing. And I had the guy on the right sneak up to his side without him noticing me and place a stick of dynamite beside his tank. The dynamite blew up and destroyed his turret and damaged his engine. But the tank was still alive. Since his tanks turret was destroyed he couldn't move the turret but could still fire head on. I then desided to finish it off with a barrage of missles from a callope(sp?) tank but it didn't do any damage. So I drove my tank around to the side and finally destroyed him.

Another fun battle I was the Russians and he was the British. I had 2 T34's which are medium tanks. He desided to buy his biggest tank the turtle. I saw his tank coming towards me and my two tanks got their first shots off. They did nothing. He got his first shot and destroyed my first tank killing all crew men. I try to move my o ther tank around and fired another shot it did nothing. He distroyed my second tank in his second shot. Now I had a few crew men left and hid them but kept the in line of site of his tank so I could see what he was doing. So he moved his tank forward close to a town. I purchased another medium tank because that is all I could aford. I desided to ambush him from the side. My first shot destroyed his tread and since his tank doesn't have a turret he can't move to shoot me. I then moved my tank about 20 feet behind his tank and fired several AT rounds at his tank but can't peirce his heavey armor. So I purchase another tank and put it to his right and both are firing at it. It to several minutes before that stupid tank got destroyed. I almost ran out of AT rounds lol. So he purchased another turtle tank and by that time I had a heavey tank destroyer tank and took his turtle tank out in one shot. He wasn't happy :).

One more. My friend and I were just messing around and I had my tank driving along some railroad tracks. He desided for some reason put some of his men in a train on the map. Turns out you could drive it. Well my tank was just having a good stroll down the railroad going towards his spawn when I see a train going down the track. I wad like WTF?! He plowed right into my tank destroying it. I was confused and laughing so I found a fuel truck with some of the tank crew that somehow survived. So I stole the fuel truck and drove it right beside his train and he had a bunch of his men fire at me and the fuel truck blew up destroying his train and some of his infantry. He wasn't happy lol. I should have put AT mines on the tracks instead.

Ah good times. I have meny more stories but got to get to work.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."

Last edited by belgolas; July 17, 2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old July 17, 2009, 09:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Nothing will ever satisfy me quite the way Master of Orion 1/2 have.

3 Was a bust however....

Someone needs to bring that back to Life. 4X games are by far the best.

IMO.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 17, 2009, 10:10 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

That's nuts not one of you mentioned the best rts's of all time, all the Total war games, ESPECIALLY M2TW
Old July 17, 2009, 10:52 AM
Allstar

The thing about Sins is that it is an amazing game but it just NEEDS a story.

I tracked HW1 down in bargain bins throughout the city until I finally found it, and I'd only heard rumors of its story. I was not disappointed. That game made you feel the plight and the urge to find your Homeworld. Though it worked much better playing as the Kushan then as the Taidani. But still, the music scores underscored the tone of the mission. It was a beautifully put together game that I've yet to see reproduced.

I remember feeling scared and apprehensive when first meeting the Bentusi. Mothership class vessel moving in fast, power levels are off the charts! (Oh Shi...) Then oh, we're friends. Wicked!

Great game. Now I know what my Friday night is, HW1, HW:C and then HW2.
Old July 17, 2009, 11:11 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearm3now View Post
That's nuts not one of you mentioned the best rts's of all time, all the Total war games, ESPECIALLY M2TW
IMO, M2TW is where the series started to go sour. Rom was an amazing game but M2 was a disaster in terms of battle dynamics. I could have a whole company of food soldiers charge the enemy line, crash into them and have every rank but the first one take a step back while that first rank fights for its life.

Then you have the Mongol invasion; they suddenly appear and somehow have mortars to hurl at your castles decades before it even made its way onto the battlefield.
Old July 17, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
IMO, M2TW is where the series started to go sour. Rom was an amazing game but M2 was a disaster in terms of battle dynamics. I could have a whole company of food soldiers charge the enemy line, crash into them and have every rank but the first one take a step back while that first rank fights for its life.

Then you have the Mongol invasion; they suddenly appear and somehow have mortars to hurl at your castles decades before it even made its way onto the battlefield.
I totally agree that M2TW is where the series started going down and I am a huge total war fan. I put at least 3x as much time into Rome total war than M2TW. Not to mention the series is getting more buggy on launch. ETW is a great game it is just that the time period I don't find that interest because of a lack of variety of units. I truely hope they make Rome 2 Total War next or something else in the ancient time period.

My favourite total war games would be...
1. Rome Total War(awesome mods aswell)
2. Shogun Total War
3. Empire Total War
4. M2TW
5. MTW

If they make M3TW next I will protest by not buying the crappy game.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 17, 2009, 12:38 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

My three dream games:

3X game like Sins coupled with the play mechanics and graphics of Homeworld 2

Creative Assembly picking up the rights to do a Lord of the Rings or Warhammer game

Panzer Generals updated and able to zoom in real time to play it Company of Heroes-style.

My issue with Creative Assembly's Empire game is that the period of history they chose isn't particularly interesting in terms of gameplay. Sure, the battles of the Napoleonic Wars were a stunning part of history but where's the fun in having 2000 units line up, stand still and start shooting at each other only to have cavalry run over their flanks? The first few times it looks cool but after that, it gets boring very fast.
Old July 17, 2009, 12:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Hmm, I liked M2TW way more than ETW.
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI