What about Total Annihilation?

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old July 15, 2009, 07:07 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
What about Total Annihilation?
Not in my top 10. It may have been one of the first, but I didn't enjoy it that much at the time. I would gladly go back to play any of those games I listed. TA? Nah.
Old July 15, 2009, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sins of a solar empire.
Old July 15, 2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Sins of a solar empire.
That would be #11 on my list. It was a great little game but do you know if they released any additional maps for it?
Old July 15, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

#11? Was it the storyline? What didn't you like about it? I don't think Stardock themselves released any maps. But they did give the community the tools for mods and maps galore. You should check it out.
Old July 15, 2009, 09:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty good list that, not all those make my radar though.

One of my favourites, I really liked Stronghold: Crusaders just because of the stupid amount of management it required to be decent at it.
Old July 16, 2009, 01:18 AM
Rookie

It looks good, but im more into Dawn of war 2 style gameplay. The only realism games I like are FPS realism.
Old July 16, 2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
#11? Was it the storyline? What didn't you like about it? I don't think Stardock themselves released any maps. But they did give the community the tools for mods and maps galore. You should check it out.
Trust me, for a strategy game to make my top 20 it has to be a hell of a game. It isn't that I didn't like it. Rather, I kept wishing that they had done things a bit differently when it came to the graphics. In 99% of the battles, I found the only way to get a proper view of the battlefield was to zoom out very far. At that point, all you see is icons for your units and not much else. I would have much prefered to have a zoomable radar map in one of the corners.

In addition, there really isn't that much strategy in battles. They usually boil down to group selecting all your units and basically launching the whole mob at the enemy.

Fighter construction for capital ships was also a PITA. Sometimes it worked and other times it didn't. Maybe there was a patch for this when I stopped playing but at the time it annoyed the heck out of me.
Old July 16, 2009, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Trust me, for a strategy game to make my top 20 it has to be a hell of a game. It isn't that I didn't like it. Rather, I kept wishing that they had done things a bit differently when it came to the graphics. In 99% of the battles, I found the only way to get a proper view of the battlefield was to zoom out very far. At that point, all you see is icons for your units and not much else. I would have much prefered to have a zoomable radar map in one of the corners.

In addition, there really isn't that much strategy in battles. They usually boil down to group selecting all your units and basically launching the whole mob at the enemy.

Fighter construction for capital ships was also a PITA. Sometimes it worked and other times it didn't. Maybe there was a patch for this when I stopped playing but at the time it annoyed the heck out of me.
I agree there isn't much strategy in the battles of sins of a solar empire but they do look good.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 16, 2009, 10:06 AM
MVP

This game reminds me a lot of Soldiers or Faces of War. :)

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."