Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Gaming (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/)
-   -   Crysis freezing up and sketchy framerates? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/gaming/19577-crysis-freezing-up-sketchy-framerates.html)

Shade340 July 4, 2009 09:49 PM

Crysis freezing up and sketchy framerates?

*SPOILERS*
Okay I bought crysis a couple of days ago and have almost beat it until I get to the last boss on the the aircraft carrier and basically I froze up and bluescreened. I went to play again and my CPU is at i think 70% usage about and Physical memory is at 95% so what could be the problem because this is really ruining my enjoyment of the game.

Specs in Sig

Shade340 July 4, 2009 09:55 PM

MOBO: Gigabyte MA-770
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream
GPU: Gigabyte 4850
CPU: AMD 7750 @ 2.9 GHz
RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS2 1066
HDD: WD Caviar Black 640GB

Perineum July 4, 2009 10:20 PM

The BSOD message would help.

Could be a number of things, faulty RAM, bad overclock, bad video card....

Shade340 July 4, 2009 10:29 PM

It may have been the overclock because I don't think I checked it with prime 95. The CPU temps are about 42 Celsius when in desktop with nothing running. And it could be the ram because when I installed the stick I was pushing hard in the wrong way but in speedfan the sticks read the same. Videocard what would be a sign of a faulty one?

rjbarker July 4, 2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

It may have been the overclock because I don't think I checked it with prime 95.
:shok::doh:

Huh...............

SimGamer July 5, 2009 10:04 AM

IIRC that boss battle is the one that pushes your system to the max. You may have to back off the res and settings AA, AF etc to get it to complete. My GPU fan was howling and I suffered a few crashes before I was able to get thru that last part. The other alternative is one of the optimized custom configs like CUDAATS. Check out the Crysis fan sites for help. Link:

The Official CCC CUDAATS 2.21 Thread! - Strategy Informer Forums

TimTheEnchanter July 5, 2009 12:24 PM

I totally agree with what SimGamer said. I remember having performance problem back then on that level (with my good ol' 8600gt)

Shade340 July 5, 2009 01:08 PM

But wouldn't it not crash? I will test on prime 95 tonight though its bad that it was unstable a such a small overclock =(

Shade340 July 6, 2009 08:33 AM

Okay so I just ran Prime 95 for 7 hours and its stable so I think its my memory because apparently crysis has a memory leak, because this has not done this with any other game.

Realityshift July 6, 2009 02:35 PM

Crysis is hands down the most system intensive game on the market right now, its not suprising that it stalled out your PC on its most intense level. What graphical settings and resolution are you playing this on? Also 7 hours in prime is not stable, run it for 12 hours, run Blend and Small FFTs atleast 9 hours each (blend could help test your ram..) id also run 20 rounds of Intel Burn Test to check and see what your temps are looking like when fully loaded. Id also be running atleast a few hours of memtest to check your ram, although im not convinced that that is the issue, I think your system was just running on a razors edge and the more intensive level just pushed it over that edge. 44c idle seems a bit high and Id like to know what your load temps are like on that CPU.