Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2009, 11:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Fallout 3 Patches

Was wondering if you guys had suggestions for best gameplay, ie minimal crashing and freezing, regarding patching.

I was looking around and found this advice:

" The best way to ensure everything runs correctly without any of the patch problems is to:
-Patch to 1.0.0.15.
-Copy that exe to a different folder.
-Finish patching up to 1.4.
-Replace the 1.4 exe with your 1.0.0.15 exe.
-Download and use the Fake Patch and Unofficial Patch from the Nexus site.
-Use Fallout Mod Manager to run Fallout3, Fake Patch, and then Unofficial Patch in that order.

You'll have all the benefits of the patches without any of the mess ups from them (like Vats being screwed up). "

Do you guys agree with this? Or is there a better way?
Old June 20, 2009, 01:05 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

That method will work for the most part, but there is a newer method that most players seem to prefer.

At release, Patch 1.5 had a serious bug that caused crashing when used with most mods. If you don't use mods then this shouldn't be a problem. If you do use mods, the mod community came up with a workaround that made 1.5 the preferred version for most players.

The workaround is a program called FO3Edit. You can download it from here: FO3Edit at Fallout 3 Nexus - Fallout 3 mods and community

Rename the .exe file to FO3MasterUpdate.exe to put it into master update mode, then just run it. It will automatically convert all your mods to master files, which will solve the crashing problem. Re-run FO3MasterUpdate any time you install a new mod.
Old June 20, 2009, 06:21 PM
MVP

Arundor, I think I love you!

Thanks for the info. I decided not to patch to 1.5 because I liked the mods I was using. If this works, I can patch to 1.5, use my mods and download broken steel :)
Old June 20, 2009, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arundor View Post
That method will work for the most part, but there is a newer method that most players seem to prefer.

At release, Patch 1.5 had a serious bug that caused crashing when used with most mods. If you don't use mods then this shouldn't be a problem. If you do use mods, the mod community came up with a workaround that made 1.5 the preferred version for most players.

The workaround is a program called FO3Edit. You can download it from here: FO3Edit at Fallout 3 Nexus - Fallout 3 mods and community

Rename the .exe file to FO3MasterUpdate.exe to put it into master update mode, then just run it. It will automatically convert all your mods to master files, which will solve the crashing problem. Re-run FO3MasterUpdate any time you install a new mod.
Good post, thanks for the info. I had gotten used FO3 crashing every hour or two.
Xigmatek Dark Knight

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
2 x 2 GB Corsair XMS2 1066C5
2 x WD 640 GB Raid 0 + WD 1 TB
Haf 922 / Antec Signature 850
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old June 20, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When I played fallout the first time I was getting random crashes every hour or so. Eventually I figured out that it only seemed to happen near water.

I turned "Water Multisampling" to Low in the advanced settings and I could play hours at a time, even a whole night, without a crash.