Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2009, 07:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default PSP-1000 --> PSP-3000

Hello Everyone,

So with the most recent E3 announcement, I started to think to keep a PSP. I am wondering if there is a major difference between the 1000 series and the 3000. Anyone else did the jump?

I heard that the screen is a lot brighter and also that there is less loading time and such (from the PSP-2000 refresh).

I just bought FFVII which is my favorite game and really, I'm hooked on my PSP again!
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old June 9, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

PSP1000- Phat PSP, worst graphic of the bunch, biggest one too.
PSP2000- Slim, highly moddable, short battery
PSP3000- Slim, better LCD screen than PSP2000, not moddable yet.

I recommend the 2000 b/c of the above reasons.

-Plato
Old June 9, 2009, 08:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

The thing is with an hacked PSP, is that I feared that the upcoming games won't work on it and I might brick it by accident. But are they working on a hack for the PSP-3000 cause if they do, then that would be interressing.

Also, this is coming from Wikipedia website... I like how they just describe every crack that were discovered

Quote:
On June 5, 2009, Custom Firmware 5.03GEN-A for HEN was released, which is compatible with both PSP-2000 v3 and PSP-3000. It allows users to play game backups (ISO/CSO), PS1 games, and includes access to PSN, VSH, and recovery mode, [23] hence ending Sony's PSP-3000 piracy protection.

On June 7, 2009, the PRE-IPL of the PSP-3000 was partially cracked when a duo of hackers Xenogears and Becus25 released custom firmware support software for the formerly unhackable handheld called "Custom Firmware Enabler 3.01" in which PSP-3000 users can install custom firmware and flash those firmware's files onto the PSP's RAM with the aid of "ChickHEN".[24][25]
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX

Last edited by Chos3n; June 9, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old June 9, 2009, 09:16 AM
Rookie

with the current price of $169.00 for the black core PSP 3000 i just upgraded from the original PSP 1000

I immediately noticed a number of positive improvements.

- way lighter, easier to hold, you notice the weight reduction.
-screen is brighter, more vivid, the issue about the poorer jaggy screen issues in PSP 3000 is way overblown.
-speed with all applications seems faster more responsive (the additional 32 MB of main memory helps) top improvement for me!
-athe addittional 32 MB of main memory does make for a more positive experience in internet browsing (less "lack of memory" messages)
-Skype works very well for me in Alberta, it's a useful application, might be better however once Skype gets personal on-line numbers for Canada (SkypeIn) presently not available, so people can then dial you up and when you call out they can see your number with Caller ID
-moving speakers to front top face good, as compared to the original PSP 1000 side bottom placement
-includes microphone, which PSP 1000/2000 doesn't have and you needed the headset with mic/remote
-the new Sony Media Go application for your computer works quite well
-I have tried the component AV cable with PSP 3000 with an HDTV LCD and it works fine (however not like PC gaming ;-))
-the slight modifications to button shapes/their placement and labelling works
-UMD drive opens with finger pull instead of latch (doesn't seem more flimsy to me like reviews comment about)
-memory stick latch is slighty different, easier to get access

negatives
-a fingerprint magnet now as compared to PSP 1000
- the original Sony headset with mic/remote will not plug into the smaller jack provided in the PSP 2000/3000 , therefore you need to buy it again
-if your into homebrew or psp hacking, this model isn't for you (I'm not!)

I think its a definite useful upgrade, now just to wait a bit for the slim PS3 or a price reduction on current PS3 and i"ll get another Sony product.

Go for it, you'll be happy!
Old June 9, 2009, 09:36 AM
Allstar

There's no way you can corrupt your bios with a counter-measure. The "pandora battery" and the Custom Firmware has backtracks so you can restore it to factory settings. Besides the guides on those custom firmware dedicated sites have it all answered on their stickied answers to "how to" and "what to do".
Old June 9, 2009, 09:39 AM
Rookie

I forgot to add this comment regarding the purchase.

Last week, both Futureshop and Best Buy were advertising either 3/2 games + case + screen wipes with the purchase of black PSP 3000 core pack.

Futureshop was sold out of these , so I went to BestBuy. They gave me a copy of Resistance Retribution (which was part of the Future Shop ad) with their two included games (Pursuit Force and Wipeout Pulse), the case with wipes to match Future Shop.

Worked out well, I thought.
Old June 9, 2009, 11:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotree View Post
with the current price of $169.00 for the black core PSP 3000 i just upgraded from the original PSP 1000

I immediately noticed a number of positive improvements.

- way lighter, easier to hold, you notice the weight reduction.
-screen is brighter, more vivid, the issue about the poorer jaggy screen issues in PSP 3000 is way overblown.
-speed with all applications seems faster more responsive (the additional 32 MB of main memory helps) top improvement for me!
-athe addittional 32 MB of main memory does make for a more positive experience in internet browsing (less "lack of memory" messages)
-Skype works very well for me in Alberta, it's a useful application, might be better however once Skype gets personal on-line numbers for Canada (SkypeIn) presently not available, so people can then dial you up and when you call out they can see your number with Caller ID
-moving speakers to front top face good, as compared to the original PSP 1000 side bottom placement
-includes microphone, which PSP 1000/2000 doesn't have and you needed the headset with mic/remote
-the new Sony Media Go application for your computer works quite well
-I have tried the component AV cable with PSP 3000 with an HDTV LCD and it works fine (however not like PC gaming ;-))
-the slight modifications to button shapes/their placement and labelling works
-UMD drive opens with finger pull instead of latch (doesn't seem more flimsy to me like reviews comment about)
-memory stick latch is slighty different, easier to get access

negatives
-a fingerprint magnet now as compared to PSP 1000
- the original Sony headset with mic/remote will not plug into the smaller jack provided in the PSP 2000/3000 , therefore you need to buy it again
-if your into homebrew or psp hacking, this model isn't for you (I'm not!)

I think its a definite useful upgrade, now just to wait a bit for the slim PS3 or a price reduction on current PS3 and i"ll get another Sony product.

Go for it, you'll be happy!
Awesome!

Thanks for your feedback, so in overall it's a win-win situation. That's the thing, I'm not into Homebrew at all, and also I play a few games on it (and the game I own, I tend to play them for over 30 hours, <3 FF: Tactics and FFVII).

Alright, well that pretty much sums it up, I wanted a good feedback from an actual PSP 1000 to PSP 3000 move.

So you are saying that there is less "ghosting" issues ? or that they are gone ? That would be great! What about the interlaced issues... apparently that is the major letdown for the PSP-3000...
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old June 9, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I got a PSP2001 slim, and God of War.... friggin awesome game. I cant get enough of it. Lovin my PSP. Also I cant wait for Gran Turismo.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old June 9, 2009, 12:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
I got a PSP2001 slim, and God of War.... friggin awesome game. I cant get enough of it. Lovin my PSP. Also I cant wait for Gran Turismo.
Gran Turismo is another point why I don't want to hack my PSP.
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old June 9, 2009, 12:58 PM
Allstar

1. i can sell you a 3000 for 100+ shipping with 1 game and a movie (daxter game and national treasure 2 book o secrets) and memory card and battery and ac adapter. (silver) LMK. Hardly used at all. Minty fresh condition!