Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2009, 01:45 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Since we are talking about the PS3:

New Final Fantasy announced EXCLUSIVELY for the PS3.

The Last Guardian looks stunning

God of War III preview disappointed me a bit. And the release date is way out to lunch.
Old June 5, 2009, 12:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

the new final fantasy is going to be pc as well, it was announced, but yes exclusively for consoles on ps3. Considering the last ff mmo blew goats i dont have a lot of hope for the new one.

I was a huge fan of ico, i look forward to last guardian.

Uncharted 2 looks good tho.
Old June 5, 2009, 02:02 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Just skimmed through and watched highlights of the MS conference, about to watch the Sony conference once I finish downloading it to my PS3 (I like watching them in 720p as opposed to crappy online video).

I have a PS3 and not a 360, but Project Natal sounds like it will be pretty awesome if they can pull it off well. I saw the little pre-made video of the family playing games a couple days ago, and I wasn't too impressed, because for all I know it could've been filmed with the people and what's shown on screen put in afterwards. Now that I've seen the conference though, it looks like it could become something great. First step towards completely interactive gaming. Only place to go from there is holographic, really. I have to say, though, that when they first started showing it in-conference and he was manipulating his avatar, with the limbs flying everywhere and it looking buggy as all hell, I had to snicker a bit. If this works out all well as they say it will then I may have to shift to MS for next generation, although I don't like any of their exclusives and it's pissed me off that they've bought off all of Sony's third party exclusives.
Old June 5, 2009, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Natal looks sweet. Holodeck here I come!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 5, 2009, 03:18 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Natal looks sweet. Holodeck here I come!

Microsoft had Forza3 set-ups on the show floor, triple-screen, linked 360's, hydrolic seats...

So, we know that the 360 can be linked with other 360s and linked they can render one game, simultaneously, each output on each box responsible for a screen on it's own, so potentially, with 6 360's, 3D goggles and 6 screens, "holodecks" are far closer than you think. And isn't the 360 just a modified X1950XT gpu? And an AMD BE 720?(Yes, I know it's not an AMD CPU, just play with me for a bit here)....even if it's a modified R600 gpu...

nVidia is already headed in this direction with Stereoscopic 3D...up and running quite well, today. It's not a far leap for you to build a "holodeck"....even the cost to do so would be cheaper than ALOT of mass-produced automobiles...

Next-Gen. Oh, I cannot wait for the next gen.

Natal is nothing but a concept at this point. A working one, sure, but nothing like what you see in the press conference videos. Hence the name..Natal...it's still in the "fetus" stage, not quite alive yet, but clearly with all the working elements in place. We will see how it is when it gets "birthed" onto the retail marketplace.

Whoever chose that name should be shot, IMHO....
Old June 5, 2009, 07:18 PM
Allstar

i'm not entirely sure how xbox 360's have anything to do with holodecks?
Old June 5, 2009, 07:28 PM
Banned
F@H

Nothing...other than that a bunch of them together, combined with NATAL, could easily be "first-gen" holodeck hardware.

Old June 5, 2009, 09:04 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Nothing...other than that a bunch of them together, combined with NATAL, could easily be "first-gen" holodeck hardware.

Screw the space race and the environment were is my holo-deck console race!!!!
(excuse the tantrum) but I WANNA PLAY GEARS, L4D, FF series, AND HALO IN A HOLODECK WAAAAA
Old June 5, 2009, 11:11 PM
Banned
F@H

Microsoft had a terrific demonstration, even down to the character interaction reacting to voice and movement, rather than controller input. That's pretty impressive, in my books...add in stereoscopic 3D, and the only thing that is missing in tactile feedback and smell, both of which are already working tech.
Old June 6, 2009, 05:37 AM
MVP

Thing is how do we know it wasn't actors doing and saying things right before the console did them?