Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2009, 09:31 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Resistance versus Resistance 2: A Rant by SKYMTL

I ususally don't do this but I am sure some of you have your opinions as well about certain games so I may as well post my feelings here.

Anyways, about two weeks ago I went out and bought Resistance 2 for the PS3 (it's still $30 at Wal Mart). Believe it or not, at the time it was only the second PS3 game I owned. The other was MGS3 which I played every now and then when I needed a break from doing what I do.

Yeah, I know that PC shooter games are head and shoulders above those found on consoles but for $30 and no need to search for patches on a million sites means it was a pretty good deal.

The game got rave reviews and to be honest, I was pretty damn impressed with the epic storyline. While playing you actually feel like you are in the middle of a bigger conflict but this is where I find that the game also falls on its face. A game like this deserves to have the story TOLD by a narrator but R2 doesn't have that. You fight a loosing battle against the Chimera in Greenland (I think) and then wake up to find yourself in San Francisco YEARS later with the Chimera launching an invasion and blasting the city into oblivion. No background, no nothing. You get plopped into a firefight, told to go kill some mutants and get on with your life.

Some people may be fine with this but I'm not. You don't have any idea how the conflict is going (obviously the good guys are getting their nuts handed to them) or why on earth Chicago fell and was infected Night of the Living Dead-style before the costal cities. Was the East Coast invaded first? We don't know. Where are the surviving US armies staging from? It seems the Chimera are pretty much everywhere.

I also found the game excessively dark. Upping the contrast on my TV had me understanding why certain areas are so dark: ugly, ugly textures. I know the PS3 doesn't have the balls to do FSAA but jaggies are everywhere...maybe that is a result of R2 being locked at 720P for some reason.

And then yesterday, hoping for some answers I bought Resistance: Fall of Man.

Good lord what a difference.

There is great narration telling of how the Chimera evolved and invaded Europe, the action is non-stop and the most shocking of all: the graphics look better than the second game. Granted, for some reason the bullets from weapons like the Carbine take an eternity to each their intended target and the scale isn't quite as epic. But man, it makes the second game look bad by comparison.

I guess this rant all comes down to a few things. Playing the first Resistance AFTER the second one was an eye opener to say the least. Resistance 2 now feels like the bastard child of a once-great relationship that should have laid the groundwork for a long-standing franchise. Instead, it dumbed down the concepts, ideals and overall feel of the first game to a point that it is nothing more than another FPS game. Maybe Insomniac hoped that consumers would forget about the first game considering the gap between the two releases. Well, that hope certainly failed with me.

$70 prices for new games notwithstanding, it seems like game developers are becoming increasingly lazy these days. You can feel that Fall of Man was made with some serious TLC while the sequel seems rushed, and cobbled together in order to make a quick buck.

I think what bothers me the most is the fact that 99.9% of the game reviewers (minus Zero Punctuation) don't have the balls needed to stand up to the big publishers and say: your game blows. No one did it with Fallout 3, Halo 3, Resistance 2, etc. They know who pays the bills and that's it. Granted, Resistance 2 wasn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but I have yet to see a review calling the developer out for producing a sequel that is a pale shadow of the first game.

Anyways, that's all I have for you.

*takes a deep breath*
Old May 27, 2009, 09:37 AM
Banned

I enjoyed BOTH of them.

Mind you I am STILL trying to get past the spiders in the first game. LOL!!!!!!
Old May 27, 2009, 09:41 AM

You didn't get annoyed by the platforming bits in the second one? Jumping from one platform to the next because there are unkillable fish swimming in the water is ridiculous IMO.

They swim at the surface of the water but can't be killed with a shoulder-launched missile or bloody pulse cannon.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

Still. It is just a game. play it, enjoy it, trade it in or something else.

;)
Old May 27, 2009, 09:43 AM

The point is that people pay big money for these games and the developers take two steps back with the sequel.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've never played any of them, and now I want to just so I can join in the discussion lol.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

I loved the first game, the story was interresing. So you are telling me Resistance 2 is 29.99$ at QC Wal-Marts... Interresing...

But yeah, my favorite genre of games are RPG and it where you find the best story. FPS tend to have a bad story ... but some of them are great (Half-Life, Bioshock...etc)

I love Zero Punctuation. His reviews are great and SOOOO TRUE. It's sad at the same time because you realize what he said is true and the reviews you read a lies...

So are we going to see a [FS] thread soon ...
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old May 27, 2009, 10:01 AM

Yes, Wal Marts across the country are selling R2 for $29.83 until the end of the day today.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This goes for any sequel/prequel to the original. The only games that I thought had outstanding sequels were Doom II, Super Smash Bros. (I know, not really story based). Same goes for movies. Terminator 2? AMAZING.

SKYMTL, I totally agree with the whole game developer being lazy. They're missing out on a lot of details that make a game good. Yes, visuals are key to immersing somebody into the game, but it's really the storyline and gameplay that counts. This is why Half-Life 2 is what I would call the best storylined FPS game ever. Far Cry 2, not so much. Game Developers really have to show what they are made of by introducing the beginning of a story on each game, and that could be through first person or narration. Most games these days feel like, "Okay, I'm on a planet right now...OH SHIT! THERE'S GUNFIRE! Shoot the bastards!", and the game begins...for me? I say WTF to that all the time.

This is mostly why I haven't bought a game in a long time and stick to the ones that I've played. Yeah, I'll play them at a friends house, but I laugh when we start a game up from the beginning and immediately we're a dude getting raped by all the people around us. I laugh because I have no idea what's going on and I feel like I'm the girl in a 20-man gangbang; I'm getting all this attention and action from all these dudes, but why were they shooting at me in the first place? Like why am I here? I'll admit that Far Cry 2 at least had a decent beginning, but after that it was entirely random, and gave up after half way through because it had no direction.

There are too many developers these days just to make a quick buck and move on. This is also the reason why we are running out of ideas too because everyone is coming up with something, however they just can't find the correct chemistry to make the game work. But, this goes back to the storyline. The storyline makes a game really what it is. It has to blatantly tell you what the purpose of the game is and tell what you're going to do throughout. Doom II is a shoot 'em up FPS that, right from the get-go, you shoot up all the demons from Hell and the game is over. Half-Life, you're Gordon Freeman, a scientist who f**** things up at a research facility and two worlds meet, where throughout the game tells you a story.

I feel you SKY. Quit concentrating on the GFX and give me a story.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:23 AM

Believe it or not though, I LOVE some games that don't have a storyline. Why? Because they are what they are and don't make any pretentions about having a back story. Case and point: Serious Sam.

Resistance 2 on the other hand is the follow-up from a game that actually HAD a proper storyline and that just kills it for me.