Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2009, 07:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Duke Nukem Forever shelved

3D Realms on Thursday announced that it would no longer be financing it's seemlessly endless 13 year work on Duke Nukem Forever. Hard to imagine that the first concept art and ideas started floating around such a long time ago and the developement team has been getting paid ever since for work never to sell in the marketplace. Nice job if you can get it I guess, but good luck to all the former DNF team members who are out in the work force now trying to pitch themselves and not having a single bankable success to thier names in the last 12-13 years.
Old May 9, 2009, 09:40 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
3D Realms on Thursday announced that it would no longer be financing it's seemlessly endless 13 year work on Duke Nukem Forever. Hard to imagine that the first concept art and ideas started floating around such a long time ago and the developement team has been getting paid ever since for work never to sell in the marketplace. Nice job if you can get it I guess, but good luck to all the former DNF team members who are out in the work force now trying to pitch themselves and not having a single bankable success to thier names in the last 12-13 years.
I wonder if the members of that team have ever produced another title? If not, it would indeed be pretty sad.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 9, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Um I believe that this game was a complete joke and they were not even working on it. It isn't hard to make a few concept art and a few pre rendered scenes.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 9, 2009, 11:06 PM
MVP

It seems the "forever" part of the name was quite apt.
Old May 10, 2009, 01:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Im sure this doesnt mean that we have seen the last of the duke nukem franchise, they are quickly running out of original ideas and will probubly go right back to the classics as soon as they run out of new stuff to make... look at Wolf3d, Quake, Doom... Im still waiting for a new hexen/heretic! I know there was a really cool hexen mod for doom3 rolling around but I dont think it ever got finished =(

I would actually like to see a new DN game if they could really put some effort into it, everything after the first 3d game where just horrible.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 10, 2009, 04:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

hate to say it but this was a given. An incopetent staff, small team, and large project is not a formula that goes well together. For all these years these guys ****** around so much they had to restard the project several times. Wasting the publisher's money, and disappointing the fans of Duke 3D.
They were such assholes, they always had the response 'it's done when it's done.' They could never admit that they were already quite fooked over and were in a downward spiral.

Frankly, I WILL miss Duke Nukem Forever, but 3D Realms will pass on with no repsect from me.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old May 10, 2009, 08:24 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sorry. Vaporware from start to finish. Good riddance I say since I was sick and tired of listening to the BS that the game was "almost done" for the last 10 years.
Old May 10, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree, SKY, but you have to say that even though this was vaporware, someone should try and pick up the franchise and make the best hero vs. aliens videogame like the first one was. I always loved to play through DN3D.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

Well the game looked promising... too bad they had bad management and lazy worker... I wonder how much money they lost with that project... but hey the game looks awesome...hopefully someone will pick it up.

Duke Nukem Forever gameplay Leaked by -ShadowBlade-
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old May 10, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Dude, that clip was amazing. Duke Nukem's attitude was what made this game so great. I love how he rips out the spiky thing out of the big guy and gives him a slap, and when he sticks out his middle finger. That's key! Man...please? Someone release this?