Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2009, 01:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Wolfenstien

Wolfenstein is coming back im sure some of you know this, but from what I gather it is going to be heavily geared towards the 360... so we can look forward to yet another xbox 360 game ported to the PC. This was the LAST series of games I ever wanted to see butched so badly. Both Wolf3d and Castle Wolf where 2 of my all time favorite games and they where exclusively brought to PC before ported out to other consoles. I am not in any form happy to see such a great title being lost to the console gaming industry .

YouTube - Wolfenstein Gameplay Trailer (HQ)

I guess only time will tell what becomes of this, but I fear the worst already. Games should not be ported from consol to PC, they just dont work. Either develope for either seperately instead of trying to cut costs or dont do it at all.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 26, 2009, 06:26 AM
Banned

It's one of my favorite too, but don't they have to build the game on the PC before encode them for console , ? so may be they have also a version for PC, but if a Console like x360 give them some sort of support ( $$$$ ) may be they release it first on console for marketing reason. Ant they will release a PC version after fresh build from the scratch work . I don't know never build a game.

But at least it's a good news a new wolf.. may be I will buy a X360 , ( see the trick work )
Old April 26, 2009, 06:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

They have been promising a remake for years and years... I doubt we will ever see anything, or anything worth playing for that matter.
Old April 26, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Its already slated for a release this year andy, they are working on getting the xbox 360 release out first though, this one is going to be based on 360 engines not PC ones, so they encode for console then port it to PC. Lame imho.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 26, 2009, 12:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
They have been promising a remake for years and years... I doubt we will ever see anything, or anything worth playing for that matter.
Are you sure it's not Duke Nukem you're thinking of?
Old April 26, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

return to caslte wolfienstien and Enemy territory where both built on a Linux system and they where around along time befor Xbox existed
Old April 26, 2009, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
return to caslte wolfienstien and Enemy territory where both built on a Linux system and they where around along time befor Xbox existed
yeah they where, im talking about the newest expansion being built around the 360 instead of PC this time around.

YouTube - New Wolfenstein game for Xbox360

Old April 26, 2009, 01:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataxpert View Post
It's one of my favorite too, but don't they have to build the game on the PC before encode them for console , ?
Actually, the system they develop the game on doesn't really matter. Instead, it is which platform they design the game to support (even if they did their coding on a PC, their compiler could be set to generate XBox code; frequently, generating code for a different platform is simply a matter of changing compiler settings - if the developers are skilled).

Design is the issue, though. If their primary focus is on the XBox platform, that typically affects how it plays. Thus, regardless of the platform that gets released first, you can often tell what platform the developers were thinking about when doing their design.

That said, many of the bigger publishers are getting much better at segmenting their code into layers so that the platform-specific UI elements are coded entirely separately. That means that at the design level the core is identical across all of the platforms, but that the platform-specific UI elements are custom-coded. Such a game will 'feel' like a PC game on the PC platform and like an XBox game on the XBox, and so on. This also applies to data management (ie, a PC version might have unlimited save files but the XBox would would have a limited # of save slots - or only save at certain spots). Harder to implement than it sounds, though, regrettably.
Old April 26, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Aye, but the game seems to be directed towards the xbox 360 right now, hence my concern. They seem to be giving alot of attention to the 360 in design and when they say things like the xbox has more options in programming the the PC does it really doesnt get my hopes up =( FPS IMHO are not meant for consoles, they are keyboard and mouse games through and through.

Old April 26, 2009, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In my eyes there is no System out there better for gaming then a PC