Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2009, 01:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Mount & Blade

This game has received the odd comment here & there in other threads but I don't think it's been given the full attention it deserves so I figured I'd give it it's own thread

I'd seen it mentioned here and there and even saw a couple of screenshots but it never grabbed me as a game I should try out.
Then one day when I was bored of my other PC games I tried the M&B demo.
A couple of hours later I purchased the full game ($30 on Steam)

It's been a LONG time since a game grabbed me and held my attention as much as this has. Maybe the original Pirates and Elite, which is funny as this game is often compared to those two classics.

Similar to those games you're started off in the middle of the world with your basic equipment - in this case a worn down old horse and some old, rusting/broken equipment.
What you do next is very much up to you.

There are two main portions to the game: The overland map and the combat.
Your overland map is pretty basic: Villages, towns & castles spread around the map, mountains, rivers, snow, ocean and warbands belonging to the different factions roaming the land. Click to move your person/army where you want to go - pretty basic stuff.
The combat portion is where you get thrown into that battle with those bandits you just clicked on. Combat is similar to the Oblivion style of combat where your mouse direction dictates your attack direction, but far far far better.
You really need to try the combat out, just to see how good it is...especially the mounted combat.

There's nothing better than cresting a hill on your trusty charger, seeing a line of enemy archers who think they're safe behind their infantry, then flanking them and smashing their line to pieces with your lance/axe/hurty weapon of choice from horseback.

I think it was this review that prompted me to try the game in the first place and it does a pretty good job of outlining the game: http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/mount-blade-pc/ so take a read, and if it sounds like your kind of game give it a go.

A couple of other things not touched on in that review:

HUGE modding community. Everything from newer, prettier textures to improved sounds and even complete game overhauls (Lord of the Rings mod is currently being updated) this game has a pretty active modding community so if you get bored with the original game just pop in a mod and run it (it's even easier than the mod manager in Fallout 3)

MULTIPLAYER. Just announced not long ago was Mount & Blade Warband where you can battle it out with up to 32 players online.
Old April 23, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the recommend- I think I'll pick it up- nice to find decent independantly developed games. the no-die thing is interesting. From the trailer, it looks like the controls might be a little tricky to get the hang of when you're racing through a melee on a horse.
Old April 23, 2009, 02:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
From the trailer, it looks like the controls might be a little tricky to get the hang of when you're racing through a melee on a horse.
Actually, it's pretty straightforward. Each of the weapons each has a "range" rating, so obviously the longer the weapon the further away you can be when swinging at the target.
Of course you could always just ride right over the top of them too (Native Expansion mod ups the charge damage about 5x, resulting in some nasty trample damage)

The demo you can download from their site (www.taleworlds.com) contains the entire content of the game - you're just limited to level 7 (I think)
Old April 23, 2009, 02:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I felt the same way when I started the demo, and immediately went out and bought it. To its credit, I was absolutely captivated for probably a month or two, but eventually it really does get old. I tried both a footman/bowman and a knight, and one way or the other you NEED a horse, even if you don't want to be a horse archer; without one, you get crushed. It makes for fairly repetitive gameplay, but it's certainly worth picking up if you're looking for something new. I may even pick it up again and try some new mods and see if they're any stronger than they were the last time I looked.
Old April 23, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really enjoy this game too but it gets repetitive fast. The problem is there isn't enough variety to this game and A.I. needs a ton more work. It is far too easy to kill a few hundred troops by yourself when you get good enough. Anyways I might play this again but with some mods.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 23, 2009, 04:10 PM
Allstar

There'll be an expansion out (hopefully) later this year with multiplayer, graphics improvements (HDR, Bloom) and AI improvements. I've been playing this game since 2005 and I'm actually in the credits, although under a different alias. You'll definitely want to pick up this game once the lord of the rings mod comes out: The Last Days
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old April 23, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there are many mod for this game, some w/ guns too

-Plato