Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Rock Band/ Guitar Hero

First and foremost, NO FLAMING WARS. Both games are great. Now that that's out of the way.
Anybody else play this stuff? I know 90% of you guys are older than me (17) but I figured there's gotta be someone. I also felt like showing off what addictions do to people. (You guys know that feeling, that's why we're all here ) Drumming is so fun and it's gonna get me into real drumming soon, once I pay for driving lessons. I can only drum with the bass pedal on the left side, even though I play righty, which is going to cause problems in the future with real drums.
Oh, don't mind the mess, although I guess you'd guess that 17 year old + bedroom = looks like a tornado passed through
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old April 16, 2009, 06:26 PM
Banned
F@H

Bah, we've got 3 drum sets now, 4 guitars, and cymbals on the RB drums. My kids love the game. You don't want to know how much I've spent on RB...but figure PS2 and PS3 copies, RB 1 and 2 full sets, and extra songs...
Old April 16, 2009, 06:29 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Looks like RockBand 1 and 2. Me and the fiancee have been hooked on RockBand 2 now since February. Picked it up from Best Buy for $95, including a 2 year extended warranty (they threw it in for free).

Pretty much the only game we play on the PS3 on a regular basis. A couple of my favourite songs (Man in the Box, Under the Bridge) are on it.

Not just for teenagers BTW....many an older folk (ranging from 30-50s) have come over, and loved playing it for hours, and a few went out and bought it the next day! A few came over one night, and the plan was to have a few drinks here, and head out to the bars. We never made it out!
Fold for team #54196
Old April 16, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bleh, I REALLY want the ION drum set so that I can transfer it over with a real drum brain when I start drumming for real.
As for the songs, I've purchased near 175 songs I believe, it scares me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Not just for teenagers BTW....many an older folk (ranging from 30-50s) have come over, and loved playing it for hours, and a few went out and bought it the next day! A few came over one night, and the plan was to have a few drinks here, and head out to the bars. We never made it out!
Yep, I heard a lot of stories like this. When my parents friends play and they're hammered, it's hilarious. It got better when they gave us no fail so that it lasted more than 15 seconds
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Last edited by Lpfan4ever; April 16, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old April 16, 2009, 08:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I LUV Rock Band... I have Drums, 2x Guitars and Mic for RB 1 Wii and bought the RB 2 disc. The wife and I don't get to play too often but when we do she has to play drums (grrrr cuz I love drums). But really I don't mind, guitar is alright too. And when we have enough people I actually like to sing too. We are "old folk" too lol.

I play drums on hard for much of it but some harder songs I have to play medium. And on guitar if I have been practicing I can play hard but really I play on medium if I am afraid the band is not strong enough to save me cuz I'll probably die on a hard solo.

I am SO glad Harmonix actually made a real RB game for Wii with RB2. RB1 was ok to just play the songs but lacked every other feature (online, DLC, custom characters, unlockables etc...).

My nephew (about your age) is killer on RB. He can play everything on expert lol, even does drums and sings at the same time. But he is a very talented musician (gets it from his uncle ) and taught himself drums after learning many other instruments from school and private lessons.

With so many good games out there it's hard to play a lot but I sure do like it. RB FTW!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 16, 2009, 09:42 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I've got the plastic-instrument god complex too <laugh> I started with GH on the PS2, and have bought GH, GH2, GH3, GHWT, and RB (GHWT and RB on PS3, as I eventually upgraded). I'm much better on guitar than anything else, but I can handle drums on medium for almost anything in the two games that accept them, though I'm a little crippled with GHWT, as I only have the RB drums; I just couldnt' justify a second set of plastic drums <laugh>. I imagine I'll pick up both GH:Metallica and RB2 in the future, but I've kinda tapered off and stopped playing now for the most part, so I'm not sure it would be a smart purchase at this point. Maybe I"ll get more into it again at some point.

For reference, I'm 27
Old April 17, 2009, 04:21 AM
Rookie

im a 31 non musically inclined male so ya im addicted to RB and GH too lol. Currently playing GH : Metallica. since they are my favorite band i cant get enough of the game.

rb1 drums, gh drums with symbols, 2 rb 1 guitars, 2 gh world tour guitars, and 2 mics.
Old April 17, 2009, 04:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
I play drums on hard for much of it but some harder songs I have to play medium. And on guitar if I have been practicing I can play hard but really I play on medium if I am afraid the band is not strong enough to save me cuz I'll probably die on a hard solo.

I am SO glad Harmonix actually made a real RB game for Wii with RB2. RB1 was ok to just play the songs but lacked every other feature (online, DLC, custom characters, unlockables etc...).

My nephew (about your age) is killer on RB. He can play everything on expert lol, even does drums and sings at the same time. But he is a very talented musician (gets it from his uncle ) and taught himself drums after learning many other instruments from school and private lessons.
Awesome
I play everything expert (except vocals, I fail easy. Voice is a bit monotonous.) after a bit of time. My uncle is the best drummer in my area (voted 3 times) and my dad also has a good rhythm (he beats away on everything while listening to his music). My grandfather was a keyboardist in an old Jazz band, so I guess that's where all this is sprouting from, and I love it. The first time I picked up that plastic Guitar Hero guitar, I never thought I'd be drumming on a plastic set and then finally moving to the real deal.

As for the Wii situation, I got stuck playing the PS2 version of RB1 once, and never again. It was so chopped down and different, it was scary to see it named the same game. RB2 must have been a nice upgrade for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan500rider View Post
Yeah, I've got the plastic-instrument god complex too <laugh> I started with GH on the PS2, and have bought GH, GH2, GH3, GHWT, and RB (GHWT and RB on PS3, as I eventually upgraded). I'm much better on guitar than anything else, but I can handle drums on medium for almost anything in the two games that accept them, though I'm a little crippled with GHWT, as I only have the RB drums; I just couldnt' justify a second set of plastic drums <laugh>. I imagine I'll pick up both GH:Metallica and RB2 in the future, but I've kinda tapered off and stopped playing now for the most part, so I'm not sure it would be a smart purchase at this point. Maybe I"ll get more into it again at some point.

For reference, I'm 27
Ah, you've been in since the start of GH. I got sucked in when most of the rest of the world did, at GH3. The origins of these games are so very different from what they are now. Hell, the Playdium in my area even went out and got a Guitar Freaks machine, which I believe is Konami's, which came out long before any of these home guitar bassed games. Think of the colour bars sliding up a screen DDR style, and you get Guitar Freaks.
And, the only thing that's kinda pissing me off right now is I REALLY love Metallica and I REALLY want GH:M, by the wallet is hiding as far away as possible so that I don't empty it any more. I really love the challenge Lars brings with his drumming. Nothing extreme hard like blast beats @ 200 miles an hour, but it's mixed up and has some good, channlenging parts.

Sheesh, I could go on all day about this. Anyways, you've probably seen I know way too much about this crap
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old April 17, 2009, 05:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

i don't play gh or rb i play frets on fire on the pc...i have the rf mod which lets u choose between GH or RB themes...plus i have every GH song and every RB 1 and 2 songs plus hundreds of user tracks, just waiting for the metallica one to pop up for frets. So i just found my self a cpl used rb guitars for cheap. now i just gotta get the drums.
Old April 17, 2009, 11:56 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Played GH1-3 & RB1 on the PS2 then broke down & got a 360 especially for RB2.

Can do most songs on expert guitar (although Visions can FOAD) and I can do about half the songs on drums on expert, though the ones with lots of footpedal kill me (looking at you Everlong)
Singing isn't really my thing but I can get through most of em on hard.

RB2 Guitar started having issues a week or so ago and has started eating batteries so am in the market for a couple of wired RB1 guitars if anyone has any spares laying around.

Really hoping WMG & Harmonix can put their differences aside so we can finally see some Green Day