Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2009, 12:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Cool COH: Tales of Valor

COH: Tales of Valor takes a bit of a detour from the past games in the series as there's no base building in the campaign and players are given a handful of units to progress through the single player missions. From what I've read they focus more on upgrading the units you have throughout the missions so if you lvl up say your tank commander with a skill he'll retain that skill into the next level. Also if you destroy buildings in early missions and come back to that map later on then the building will be destroyed. I kind of like that persistant destructible environment idea. Also new is a more action feel where you take a gunners eye view sometimes and actually have to aim, move and fire. Pureists of the series have been belly aching to no ends about these changes to the game but I'll hold my tongue untill I see how smooth the transistion between top down rts style movement to the more action type perspective I've been hearing about.

I dunno about my fellow rts players out there but this is a welcome release since Empire: Total War was somewhat of a letdown and rather buggy. Relic has been doing rather good so far this year and I enjoyed the last Warhammer with it's more scaled back approach to unit aquisition and concentrating more on skill based upgrading of set units. I never did like the whole "he who pumps out more units wins" philosophy and like the "quality over quantity units" more. But I will miss the base construction...I just love those gypsy trucks unfolding into tank bays. heh

YouTube - Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor New Vehicle Showcase (High-Def)

Definately going to grab this bad boi!

Last edited by Alwaysrun; April 8, 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old April 8, 2009, 01:01 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Damnit Relic!! I LIKED CoH's approach to base building and the system in DoW II bored me in about 15 minutes with endless waves of enemies versus your 4 units.

Sorry, I think this is the WRONG approach.

Once again, a developer forgets to take their clues from the one ground-breaking game in this whole "RTS / RPG" genre: Ground Control.
Old April 8, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like a neat idea. If I'm understanding it correctly, it would be somewhat like the old Panzer General series where your units had a bit of role playing and your success on each level would determine the points that you have to allocate at the start of the next.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old April 8, 2009, 01:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well you can still build bases just like the previous games while in different game modes and multiplayer SKYMTL. I think they are trying to delve deeper into the players attachment to the set characters ala Brothers in arms but then again that seems like a bit of a stretch. I've got this nagging feeling this is all a precursor to making the COH franchise more console freindly for future releases. From videos I've seen so far the story behind the campaign seems engrossing and well written, I'm rather stoked that we'll get some emotional attachment to the Germans and get to use their weapons and see the war from the other side of the fence.

Seems like they really spiffed up the game engine and it really looks fantastic, also the sounds of the different guns seem more distinctive than previous versions. Damn FS won't have it in until Monday!. Gah why do we Canucks have such a hard time getting releases remotely close to release day!!! What I wouldn't do to have a Gamestop close by. Anywho... I think it hits stores tomorrow everywhere in the world and one shop in downtown Toronto between 9 and 11am.
Old April 8, 2009, 01:52 PM

Funny, everyone on the NCIX forums was up in arms about this "French only" game law here in Quebec forcing gamers to receive their copies late or not at all. Meanwhile, I just confirmed with my buddy who works at FS here in Montreal that his branch (Marche Central) will have copies on their shelves tomorrow. And completely bilingual...as all Relic releases have been.
Old April 8, 2009, 02:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Really "French only" woah I could have never imagined...Those darned frenchies just have to do everything different don't they! Ohh wait I'm french. D'oh!

The Next installment of COH will be a very short DLC where you take control of the french during WWII. It'll be all about white flag production so get those clicks per second up folks.
Old April 8, 2009, 02:19 PM

HAHAHA. I was going to say: the day they make a game where all-out retreat is an option, and huddling down shivering in fright is an special unit formation, the French Army won't be featured in a WWII game.

However, it was mush ado about nothing.

As for this game; I see nothing special with the way it presents things. It it turns out to be $40, then great...I'll give it a go. If it uses Games for Windows Live, I'll avoid it like the plague.
Old April 8, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
HAHAHA. I was going to say: the day they make a game where all-out retreat is an option, and huddling down shivering in fright is an special unit formation, the French Army won't be featured in a WWII game. .

AHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAA

Totally printing that off and putting it on the wall in my office!

GOLD!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 8, 2009, 03:52 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

hehe, good one Sky.
Old April 8, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice one SKY! LMAO

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE