Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default game booster

has anyone tried this or anything like it? does it work or make that big a difference?
Game Booster | Better Play Experience | Game Accelerator
Old April 8, 2009, 09:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac79 View Post
has anyone tried this or anything like it? does it work or make that big a difference?
Game Booster | Better Play Experience | Game Accelerator
Game Booster gives more CPU and RAM to your games, making your games running at the peak performance.

I wouldn't even trust that. That looks like a perfect copy of AntiVirusPro2009.exe! Seriously, if you want an optimized system, get CCleaner to remove all the temporary stuff and dead registry keys. Afterwards, defrag your disk.

I could be wrong, but just by looking at that website makes me nervous installing that program. But seriously, just do a nice cleanup on your system. You can also search for some registry tweaks (reducing system restore, removing indexing on the hard drive).
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX

Last edited by Chos3n; April 8, 2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Typo
Old April 8, 2009, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

oh my system is runnin fine i use ccleaner among other things...just a friend passed this on to me and was just wondering about it
Old April 8, 2009, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Looks like one of those programs that have been popping up that disable background applications and services that dont need to be running when you game then turning them back on automatically when you go back to windows, they work alright but with a decent modern computer you wont notice a whole lot of difference. I second the Ccleaner and a defrag once in a while might help as well. If your running a fast dual core and 4 gb+ of ram I doubt you will see any difference using these programs.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 8, 2009, 10:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
I wouldn't even trust that. That looks like a perfect copy of AntiVirusPro2009.exe!
While I agree with your opinion on the usefulness of the software, I must disagree with the statement above. IObit the maker of the Game Booster software has been around a while now and makes pretty descent software, I am currently testing there SmartDefrag which works automatically in the background and have good results with it so far.

By the way I run anti virus and anti spyware software plus do online scans from reputable anti virus and anti spyware manufacturers and IObit software has never triggered an alarm. I have dealt with AntiVirusPro2009.exe on someone's PC I was fixing and that is a true virus but it's not from this company.
Old April 8, 2009, 10:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
While I agree with your opinion on the usefulness of the software, I must disagree with the statement above. IObit the maker of the Game Booster software has been around a while now and makes pretty descent software, I am currently testing there SmartDefrag which works automatically in the background and have good results with it so far.

By the way I run anti virus and anti spyware software plus do online scans from reputable anti virus and anti spyware manufacturers and IObit software has never triggered an alarm. I have dealt with AntiVirusPro2009.exe on someone's PC I was fixing and that is a true virus but it's not from this company.
Like I said in my original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chos3n View Post
I could be wrong, but just by looking at that website makes me nervous installing that program. But seriously, just do a nice cleanup on your system. You can also search for some registry tweaks (reducing system restore, removing indexing on the hard drive).

But, yeah I read about the company and they make nice products (Smart Defrag and such). I never implied that the company was bad, just that product from them.
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old April 8, 2009, 11:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
I never implied that the company was bad, just that product from them.
No problem Chos3n, I just wanted to clear things up for the OP. I also like the efforts put in by freeware software makers like IObit and others but unfortunately some unrepeatable people have use this as a way of spreading viruses and spyware. I believe there is a thread for popular computer utility's on the forum already which is very good, but maybe there should also be a thread about malicious software like AntiVirusPro2009.exe and others. Everyone could post software they know are virus or spyware in disguise, this would be good for less expericed users and give them a centralized place to look.
Old April 8, 2009, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

most of these type programs just turn off un needed process's /services. I used to always have different reg tweaks one for gaming ( when I was playing in a league TWL) I had a 2 reg tweaks sitting on my desktop one for gaming and one for normal before I would game I would that I would click on the gaming one then reboot it would make it so I had only 15 process's running which made a huge improvement and when I was finished gaming I would click on the normal reg and reboot. I made the two reg s from studying the Black Viper web site.
Old April 8, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The reboot part of that setup is a huge turn off for me, rebooting is to much of a pain in the but, when I game I like to go to my PC which is usualy on 24/7 and play when im done I turn on my downloads again and walk away. But if you dont mind the reboots that Reg tweaking is well done shadow and imho totaly beats out any of the offered software versions.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 8, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
The reboot part of that setup is a huge turn off for me, rebooting is to much of a pain in the but, when I game I like to go to my PC which is usualy on 24/7 and play when im done I turn on my downloads again and walk away.
thats exactly what i do as well lol..my pc gets turned off maybe twice a month if that lol when im not gaming theres downloads goin on utorrent when i game everything gets paused till im done