Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2009, 11:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Cool Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X

I Picked this up last week and I must say it's been alltogether a good experience so far. The graphics, interface, menus and the gameplay are all pretty tight. Some people are having problems with game stuttering using DX 10.1 even with monster crossfire rigs but my Nvidia 260 is gobbling it up with np. I run it at 1680x1050 with all options at max, 2x AA, DX10 and with the in-game benchmark I get ~45fps.

I noticed that SKYMTL was going to include it as a benchmark title for GPU benchmarking so everyone will soon be able to see what kind of preformance they can expect with this enjoyable flight sim.

True that Ubisoft dumbed down this game for a more arcade feel so the hard-core flight sim set might find it a bit lacking but that dosn't detract whatsoever from the games shear fun. I'm using a Saitek Cyborg evo and this game is no ordinary Console port with many PC configuration menus poorly done or not present at all. Everything is here and you have total control over your control settings which is wonderful in these days of poorly ported console games where the PC gamers are but an afterthought.

I'll give HAWX a 8/10

YouTube - HAWX gameplay
Old March 29, 2009, 11:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I got this as well and so far I have found it to be pretty good. It runs well on my 8800GT and it looks really good. Like Alwaysrun said the gameplay is on the arcade side of things but that is ok if that is what you are looking for. Really here in PC land we have had nothing in this genre for years, so really I am happy to have this game.

Beats Afterburner on the emulator.

Old March 29, 2009, 01:17 PM
Allstar

finished the campaign last night with a friend. It was unreal how I used an A-10 to take out a MiG-33 fulcrum but I had fun just raising hell with its cannon.
Old March 29, 2009, 01:33 PM
HaDeS

A-10 has the best cannon ever dude.... i might grab this i like good flight games.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:19 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I love it. As for stuttering with DX10 and Crossfire, the 9.4 drivers will fix that. If you have an ATI card, enable DX10.1 and not only will the game look slightly better (reflections, missile trails, etc.) but you will get a jump of between 10-20% in performance.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

/me ignores this and waits for a decent sim to come out.
Old March 29, 2009, 02:38 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sorry, I don't want to play a game that needs flight training to play.

Since my uncle is in the air force I know what a REAL sim would be like: 6 hours of flying, 15 minutes of action. Until a "sim" does that, all it can claim is that it is an arcade game with a complicated controller scheme.
Old March 29, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Did anyone played it with the keyboard? Is it worth it? don't have a joystick :/
Old March 29, 2009, 03:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Sorry, I don't want to play a game that needs flight training to play.
I agree, I want more fun and less learning curve.

I remember Falcon 4.0 and it's dictionary sized manual and I loved Jane's early sims but ever since IL-2 Stirmovik I've prefered the happy medium between the sim and fun factor which IL-2 accomplished so well. (still my all time favorite combat flight sim)

I was actually taken by suprise by HAWX and it's streamlined arcade combat and great visuals, it's not as arcady as Crimson skies with totally unrealistic flight dynamics. But I can see where the purists might have a problem with every jet fighter being able to do a 180 degree tail drift. Haha but it's a hell of a lot of fun anyways.

ipaine your so right about it being forever since we PC gamers had a flight sim and I for one wish we had more to choose from. Maybe with HAWX success we'll see more in the future.

*Edit: omgwtf yeah you can play it just fine with the mouse k/b combo. I wasn't sure if it was going to be worth dragging my flight stick out for this so I played the 1st 3 lvls with the kb/mouse and it functions great.

Last edited by Alwaysrun; March 29, 2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old March 29, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HAWX in my opinion is a great arcade air combat game that one can just jump into and have fun with, while being able to gain more experience and have more fun out of it.

16 people dogfights are great fun.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W