Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Max Payne 3

'Max Payne' returns - Game Hunters: In search of video games and interactive awesomeness - USATODAY.com

Well it's about time! back in the day I did enjoy the first two; the second was the best.

I'm very interested to see where Rockstar takes the 3rd one considering the giant leap in technology since #2 was released!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 23, 2009, 10:27 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Remedy did the first 2. Using the 3DMark engine.
Old March 23, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yikes I guess I better play 1&2. Did the demo ages ago, but that's it.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 23, 2009, 11:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I never did get into Max payne myself. I think I played the first game up to about the 3rd level but the bullet-time and cheezy comic panel cut scenes just turned me off at a time when there was just so many great games to play. I think I'll give this 3rd one more of a fair shake and actually play it through to the end. One thing I did like about about the first one was the somber atmosphere and better than average storytelling not dumbed down for a younger audience. Come to think of it now I believe I ran the first one on my trusty Voodoo 3 3500. Wow now thats going back a ways. I think my voodoo struggled with it and so I gave the game away to my bro.

As for the game engine I think it was completely designed by Remedy and was called Max-FX and as I recall it was one of the leading edge engines back when DX7 was in vogue.

Hard to believe it's been 8 years since the first one and I didn't even know Rockstar games had a studio in Vancouver. It's always nice seeing Canadian talent working hard on top shelf games.

Last edited by Alwaysrun; March 23, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old March 23, 2009, 11:55 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I bought my first high end Vid card for Max Payne 1, a GeForce 3. $700 yikes!
Old March 23, 2009, 11:59 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I'm rofl over this comment someone posted on the news announcement site:

"Yeah, I saw him, Sam Fisher and Old Snake beating Mario and Luigi's ass behind the old Retirement home. They said it was on their Bucket List. lol"
Old March 23, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Loved 1, I though the bullet frame and comic book cutscenes played a huge roll in my love for it, I never played 2 unfortunetly, guess im going to have to pick up a copy =D Its really to bad they did such a terrible job on the movie =(

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 23, 2009, 12:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The movie did pretty much suck...there must be some unwritten rule somewhere that movies based on games have to be big steaming piles of monkey crap. I thought the first two games were pretty good...unfortunately, they've led to far too many "bullet-time" rip-offs.

I used to get a kick out of screenshots of Max. The expression on his face reminded me of how I look after eating a couple bricks of cheese.
Old March 23, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The bullet time stuff in the game wasn't really the shining moment for me; it was cool, slightly cheesy... but fun enough.

I enjoyed the story and had a good time playing them, the second was light years better than the first.. I also have a rule where I absolutely never watch a movie based on video games. There is no way they'll ever be good.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 23, 2009, 12:50 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

3 words for you.

tomb Raider.

and fap.