Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
Allstar

So , the game sounds noob friendly... should i play it at hard at first time? mmm...

Old February 10, 2010, 04:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I just started the first Bioshock. I can't wait for this one.
Me too!
Old February 11, 2010, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well I updated my drivers et all and the game wouldn't start, lol. Looked it up on Steam forums and I had to delete my saved files folder and start again, but I didn't mind too much about that. Got rid of the stuttering at least, but now I have the odd audio issue.

Decided to go with Hard on my restart and it definitely offers a greater challenge. Had one Big Daddy fight and a couple gatherer missions. I would have to say the splicers seem to have an easier time of taking me down then that Big Daddy did. Their machine guns inflict an amazing amount of damage compared to the one I have? Oh well I guess I wanted more of a challenge so I got it, lol.

Hacking is actually tougher than it looks, I think the needle moves faster on hard or maybe it was the fact I was drinking... I don't know?

I can't believe the mouse response is absolutely atrocious. Pretty much just like the first game. I had to set the sensitivity all the way down so in game I have a normal feel, but in the menus OMG it's like pushing a block of lead around with the mouse. I thought they were focusing on PC controls for the PC version and that's why they dropped gamepad support. Well they definitely dropped the gamepad support but forgot to focus on the PC controls part.

All in all I am enjoying the game but it definitely has its annoyances.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 11, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Switching off Vertical Synch then "applying" changes causes my screen to simply go "black"....doesn't do this on my notebook...chaulk this up to Driver 196.38..

With Vertical Synch enabled it runs fine, smooth as silk...I'm usually not a fan of VS as it gives the game a sluggish feel, but with the mouse speed jacked up it seems good.

Without Vertical Synch (only way I can disable is to "disable VS in NVCP", runs around 150 - 200 FPS, but the GPU's get 20c warmer than with VS enabled.....never really noticed this before, guess cause I always turn off VS ;)

Old February 11, 2010, 11:59 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Decided to go with Hard on my restart and it definitely offers a greater challenge. Had one Big Daddy fight and a couple gatherer missions. I would have to say the splicers seem to have an easier time of taking me down then that Big Daddy did. Their machine guns inflict an amazing amount of damage compared to the one I have? Oh well I guess I wanted more of a challenge so I got it, lol.
I've always thought leadhead splicers were the greatest threat simply because they fire/react rapidly and are super accurate. You also meet them frequently and in often in groups of 2 or more. Even the pistol wielding ones are considerably more dangerous than big daddies to me because they fire so fast they do more damage per second than the rosie's rivet gun, which you can avoid easily ducking in and out of cover to shoot. Since their projectiles are instant-hit, you often cannot avoid taking damage when fighting leadheads, unlike spider and houdini projectiles that can be dodged or caught using telekinesis.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old February 11, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes they do come in multiples and in one case I had one firing from behind me on a floor above and another dancing around more in front with a grenade tosser somewhere else, while the thuglish splicers came charging in! I couldn't figure out where that 2nd leadhead was and realized he's above me!

I was also messing around a lot with the controls so I would get myself flustered not having good reaction times trying to find the best keys. Like they made the ironsights the "T" key? I don't mind the weapon fire being left mouse and plasmid right mouse. I tried some other combos with keys and am not certain I am sure which I like best yet.

Busy again tonight so I doubt I'll get much playtime today to figure it out. :(

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 11, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

maybe use middle mouse button for iron sights or whatever is bound to rmb
Old February 11, 2010, 01:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I tried rmb for ironsights as that is usually what it is... and it works fairly well. In doing that I had to bind firing plasmid to something else, so I used my thumb button. In my brain this made excellent sense since I use that combo a lot in FPS with the grenade on the thumb. Somehow in Bioshock 2 it wasn't clicking for me though (no pun intended ha ha) and I would ironsight when I wanted to plasmid and yadda yadda lol.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old February 11, 2010, 02:13 PM
Allstar

Got the game this morning, fast service from amazon and post canada

Runs smoothly for me. Good to be back in Rapture.

Story seems more straight forward and gives less to the imagination, for now, but still seems good. I don't really like how every minute someone tells me "go here, go here, do that" as soon as the game is started. This and how they tell me "you are this guy, the lady is the evil character, this one is your friend" Oh well, still seems fine!

Gameplay is clearly improved, i love the new pirating. French translation is also very well done, no more glitchy subtitles as in Bioshock 1 in french.

However... no more xbox360 gamepad comptability? Come on, this is a "game for windows", you have got to keep that feature...

Old February 11, 2010, 03:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Bioshock 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I just started the first Bioshock. I can't wait for this one.
Ahh your in for a treat good sir, I loved the first one. Had to play it twice, once saving all the little sisters, and again harvesting them all as it changes the ending and is good enough to play twice.

One thing I am pissed about is the fact there is online multiplay but no LAN. Another annoying thing with both games and many others, WIDESCREEN!! Almost all gamers use widescreen, so what the hell is up with these developers...

Fudzilla