Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Gaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2010, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I got to play for less than an hour last night. I was getting some nasty stuttering. Not unplayable stttering but it was defintely taking me out of the moment as it happened pretty frequently. I have read some others having the same issue. I'll update my drivers tonight and see if that helps. I also read that restarting the game after launching it once seems to help. Will see?

I also noticed this game is way easier than the first (so far). I remember the first few splicers you encounter in the first game actually ran around and attacked you. This time they all just stand about and wait for you to ambush them. And there's more bloody eve and health lieing around than anyone, even a novice gamer, would need. But I have yet to get into a real perimeter defense battle or Big Sister fight so we'll see. Maybe it'll ramp up?

Story so far is good. It's nice to be back in Rapture in all it's dystopian wonder.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 10, 2010, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
I got to play for less than an hour last night. I was getting some nasty stuttering. Not unplayable stttering but it was defintely taking me out of the moment as it happened pretty frequently. I have read some others having the same issue. I'll update my drivers tonight and see if that helps. I also read that restarting the game after launching it once seems to help. Will see?

I also noticed this game is way easier than the first (so far). I remember the first few splicers you encounter in the first game actually ran around and attacked you. This time they all just stand about and wait for you to ambush them. And there's more bloody eve and health lieing around than anyone, even a novice gamer, would need. But I have yet to get into a real perimeter defense battle or Big Sister fight so we'll see. Maybe it'll ramp up?

Story so far is good. It's nice to be back in Rapture in all it's dystopian wonder.
What mode you playing?

I choose medium and it can be tricky at times but yes I feel there is far to much health and plasmid vials.

But wait till you take on the first big daddy .. he hits hard and when little sister is gathering eve and a whole lot of splicers come runnin you'll find the biggest flaw.. If you die during the gathering of those you killed you can grab all their loot before fighting again.
Old February 10, 2010, 08:40 AM
Allstar

Amazon is awesome, shipped from Mississauga yesterday night, arrived in Montreal this morning. I should have the game this evening or tomorrow.

Old February 10, 2010, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
What mode you playing?

I choose medium and it can be tricky at times but yes I feel there is far to much health and plasmid vials.

But wait till you take on the first big daddy .. he hits hard and when little sister is gathering eve and a whole lot of splicers come runnin you'll find the biggest flaw.. If you die during the gathering of those you killed you can grab all their loot before fighting again.
I'm playing on Medium too and as said, yet to have a real battle yet. But it sounds like it will ramp up from what you say so I'm ok with that and looking forward to it.

Funny you can grab the loot before getting back into the action, lol. Which brings me to another point...

Something else I wanted to mention is I turned off the quest arrow and some other text descriptions that pop up. I don't need or want them. But man this game is inherently built for morons I swear.

1. It's a linear game. If you get at all lost (which you likely won't) it will only take a little bit of exploring to figure out where you need to go or what to do. It's not hard people.

2. You have a map (as crappy as it is) and an objective or mission to tell you stuff too.

SOOOO 2K, I don't need a "Press M for a hint if you are stuck" message everytime I stop to gaze at the scenery for 10 seconds. Jeez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Amazon is awesome, shipped from Mississauga yesterday night, arrived in Montreal this morning. I should have the game this evening or tomorrow.
Oooo lucky man!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 10, 2010, 09:55 AM
Allstar

I haven't bought this yet, but if you've played the original game, you should have come in with the expectation that this would be really easy on medium, especially since you are a freaking badass new prototype big daddy yourself now. Now, I'm not defending this game in anyway, as I haven't played it, and I didn't think the original was all that great.

However, all the complaints (abundance of supplies, vita-chambers, hint arrow, hint popups) can be easily addressed by just turning them off in the options. Also, as you turn up the difficulty, random enemy loot is less generous, and your plasmid powers use 33% more eve. Enemy health, damage, agility and accuracy also increases by 30-60%, which is really significant for enemies like big daddies. In the original, big daddy health on medium is around 2500 and on hard it's about 4000.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old February 10, 2010, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
I haven't bought this yet, but if you've played the original game, you should have come in with the expectation that this would be really easy on medium, especially since you are a freaking badass new prototype big daddy yourself now. Now, I'm not defending this game in anyway, as I haven't played it, and I didn't think the original was all that great.

However, all the complaints (abundance of supplies, vita-chambers, hint arrow, hint popups) can be easily addressed by just turning them off in the options. Also, as you turn up the difficulty, random enemy loot is less generous, and your plasmid powers use 33% more eve. Enemy health, damage, agility and accuracy also increases by 30-60%, which is really significant for enemies like big daddies. In the original, big daddy health on medium is around 2500 and on hard it's about 4000.
I've played the original, 3 times. I am well aware of options too as I stated in my post that I actually turned that stuff off. Actually you pretty much missed my point completely. Splicers just stood around and waited for me to put the kaibosh on them. And the levels are even more linear than the 1st (not a complaint just an observation). So all the hints, arrows, and pop ups are total overkill. You can't backtrack, at all. So you won't get lost, at all. But you could in the 1st. And as for being a the big, bad ass Big Daddy... well all the BDs I have seen in this and the first game can take out a room of splicers without missing a beat. But somehow you as BD are hardly as hearty, lol. Go re-read my post, actually play the game, then come back and comment.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot! FOV Fix here. I will try it tonight.

2K Forums - View Single Post - Widescreen is fudged... AGAIN!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old February 10, 2010, 10:25 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

You guys might get a kick out of this:

Old February 10, 2010, 10:45 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
I've played the original, 3 times. I am well aware of options too as I stated in my post that I actually turned that stuff off. Actually you pretty much missed my point completely. Splicers just stood around and waited for me to put the kaibosh on them. And the levels are even more linear than the 1st (not a complaint just an observation). So all the hints, arrows, and pop ups are total overkill. You can't backtrack, at all. So you won't get lost, at all. But you could in the 1st. And as for being a the big, bad ass Big Daddy... well all the BDs I have seen in this and the first game can take out a room of splicers without missing a beat. But somehow you as BD are hardly as hearty, lol. Go re-read my post, actually play the game, then come back and comment.
I can't comment much on the AI and level design, but you have no idea how spliced up the other big daddies are. At the end of the original, with upgraded health, 2 armored shells and the big daddy suit, I can indeed run in and wrench down a room full of splicers without a sweat. Since tonics stack, for all we know the other BDs are outfitted with a full load of armored shells with the amount of damage they can take.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old February 10, 2010, 10:48 AM
MVP

Just finished the game on medium a few minutes ago. I played a good daddy and got the best good ending. Overall I thought they did a great job on the sequel. Great storyline and action. But like others I was annoyed with the "press h for a hint" thingy.
I'm wondering if they will make a 3rd installment of the game.

One of my favorite abilities is the winter freeze. Upgraded that to level 3 and your pretty much untouchable. Especially against the Alpha Daddys, just freeze them, fire a rocket and BOOM, they're toast. Another favorite was the fire. I found the fire was great when doing the gathering with the little sisters. I basically only used fire and winter, didn't really bother with the other abilities.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old February 10, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
I can't comment much on the AI and level design, but you have no idea how spliced up the other big daddies are. At the end of the original, with upgraded health, 2 armored shells and the big daddy suit, I can indeed run in and wrench down a room full of splicers without a sweat. Since tonics stack, for all we know the other BDs are outfitted with a full load of armored shells with the amount of damage they can take.
True enough and I may up the difficulty to Hard, I just want to get into a couple of really heated battles before I decide to.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE